Titan ReloadingWidenersRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: HS-6 for 250gn .44 Mag LSWC boolit

Boolit Buddy

HS-6 for 250gn .44 Mag LSWC boolit

I have a ton of HS-6. Has anybody published official data for Lyman 429241 with HS-6 for .44 Magnum? This is a 250-grain LSWC boolit. The Speer #14 has .44 Special data (8.2~9 grains) but no Magnum data. I don't care to go full throttle I just want to keep bumping up until I find the most accurate level. Before I start I would like to know where the deep end of the pool is.

Boolit Master

Hodgden #25, 5th printing 1989, pg 399

250gr lead (gas check). HS6 10.0gr at 1020fps, 17200cup
    Max at 12.0gr 1139fps, 24400cup.

I've used this with a Lee non-checked tumble lube 240gr, it shoots very well. Nowhere near top end.

I'm working with the same load right now, think I will settle with 9. grs. 10 & up thump my hand more than I desire.

Boolit Master
    Lets look at the latest Hodgdon 44 Magnum data. Just to be more on the safe side, I went to data for the Speer 270 grain GD bullet to be more than safe using a 250 grain SWC bullet that would rarely seat as deep as a Speer 270 grain GD bullet.
    The start load is 11.0 grains and MAXIMUM is 14 grains. My buddy uses 12 graind with a Lyman 429421 bullet.
    Also look at the data for the Hornady 300 grain using HS-6. Always err on the side of caution but Hodgdons data is readily available.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 02-25-2020 at 10:14 AM.

Boolit Master
    I use a lot of HS6 for 357, 44, and 45 Colt and my revolvers like it. I'd suggest, depending on the revolver, to try 12 grains and see what the target says. Too low of a charge and you'll see unburned granules and sooty cases. When it starts burning clean, you'll see nice accuracy. The last sentence takes into account that the bullet fits the revolver correctly. FWIW, my 44 Magnum revolvers are either SBH's or a FA83, so I don't really worry about too heavy of a load, but I find great accuracy very near the charge I suggested. I consider this my "medium load".

If I go looking for heavy loads (and I usually do), I'll use H110 and not HS6.

Another thing I do is use LPM primers for any 44 Magnum case as I do use more H110 in them than HS6. It works for me but YMMV.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    Lets look at the latest Hodgdon 44 Magnum data. Just to be more on the safe side, I went to data for the Speer 270 grain GD bullet to be more than safe using a 250 grain SWC bullet that would rarely seat as deep as a Speer 270 grain GD bullet.
    The start load is 11.0 grains and MAXIMUM is 14 grains. My buddy uses 12 graind with a Lyman 429421 bullet.
    Also look at the data for the Hornady 300 grain using HS-6. Always err on the side of caution but Hodgdons data is readily available.
    After looking at my books I looked at the Hodgdon website. Both of those are jacketed which makes the extrapolation iffy at best. The nearest lead bullet is 325 grains (13~14 grains of HS6). One would think that ought to be fine for a lighter lead boolit, but I'm hoping for a tested load. Why? Because as a matter of principle I try to avoid untested grounds even if it 'sounds' safe. I'm wimpy that way.

Heck this is one of the most common .44 boolits, you would think there is more published data for it.

Boolit Master
    It is not iffy if you will understand that unless something was extremely off no problems would exist using data for a Jacketed 270 gr bullet when loading for a cast 250 grain SWC.
    Also the data for a 300 grain Hornady will also tell you that one would have to have a scale malfunction or a malfunction of reading the scales occurs you will be more than safe.
    It then boils down to doing a work up looking for accuracy.
    When reloading you arent going to find anything that is concrete factual from anyone or any factory. There is always an element of "what if" involved. Such as lot to lot variation in powders, primers, temperature changes, bullet seating depth even with the same weight bullets, cast or jacketed in the same weights and the seating depth with those.
    Do use common sense to safety then move ahead using caution using research and understanding of the process.

Quote Originally Posted by Don1357 View Post
    After looking at my books I looked at the Hodgdon website. Both of those are jacketed which makes the extrapolation iffy at best. The nearest lead bullet is 325 grains (13~14 grains of HS6). One would think that ought to be fine for a lighter lead boolit, but I'm hoping for a tested load. Why? Because as a matter of principle I try to avoid untested grounds even if it 'sounds' safe. I'm wimpy that way.

Heck this is one of the most common .44 boolits, you would think there is more published data for it.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; 02-25-2020 at 07:57 PM. Reason: different wording maybe more understanding

Quote Originally Posted by Don1357 View Post
    I have a ton of HS-6. Has anybody published official data for Lyman 429241 with HS-6 for .44 Magnum? This is a 250-grain LSWC boolit. The Speer #14 has .44 Special data (8.2~9 grains) but no Magnum data. I don't care to go full throttle I just want to keep bumping up until I find the most accurate level. Before I start I would like to know where the deep end of the pool is.
    If it works in 44sp it works in 44mag. If you want to match the vel in the 44sp load, add about 2/10gr. It is hard to get into trouble if you use heavy bullet data for a lighter bullet, regardless of the bullet type, in my exp.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

I use a stiff load of HS6 under a 265 grain swc as my favorite all around load. It runs about 1270 FPS or so out of my SRH 7 1/2”. When you get the pressure up on Hs6 it cleans up nicely. I use Winchester primers to ignite it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D285DE3-082B-401A-BA8D-FB87AE0951C4.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	257498 That was at 75 yards with said load on a good day for me.