WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Expensive mistake?

Boolit Buddy
    If there is truly 5lbs in that container, you have 35,000 grains of hunter. Then add the maybe 1-2 Oz of CFE223. That is 438 to 875 grains you added to the hunter 5lb jug. *IF* you can keep them mixed well, you only added 1.25 to 2.5% to the hunter jug. Which I personally think would not make that much of a difference at all. Certainly not going to be fatal. Just use the hunter as normal and avoid anything above 95% of the max load.

Boolit Master
    For everyone who says burn it, Wayne Mayes might very well still be alive if he had not decided to burn some powder! If you just HAVE to dispose of it, just throw it over the yard but don’t burn it.
    If you don’t want it, I’ll take it. Worst case load it with data for the faster powder.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    people have used booster charges of fast pistol powder to jumpstart a slow powder. if that can be done safely finding a safe charge of 98% hunter 2% cfe223 should be relatively easy with a normal workup starting more cautious. i really dont think the 20 little pieces of cfe are gonna act like black powder and poof the other powder. its just an in-between unlisted powder now

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    For those who are freaking out, how do you think the powder producers get their product to approach uniformity, batch after batch?
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master
    If you use the data for the faster Powder, I do not see any issues with using it. Even if you put 1/2 a pound in.

For powders with vastly different burn rates and physical characteristics it would not be wise.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I don't think you are too far off the lot to lot differences of any powder. Still should start low and work up just like any new to you lot of powder. Do shake it up well. Ball powders usually have different size balls of powder in any lot so it should blend well and stay blended. I have a 25# jug of 5010 which is useless to me without booster charges of much faster powders. Anyway, I wouldn't throw it out.

Boolit Grand Master

Hodgdon got it's start selling GI surplus 4895. This was not canister grain powder. I have read a lot of mixing was done to get the proper burning rates for the 4895 and other powder. Mixed powders are not new nor are they dangerous when done properly.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

What are you going to do if you start using it and find that it shoots better than ever?

Boolit Bub
    be safe and dump it. if something goes wrong it could cost you a gun or worst yet your life.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    What are you going to do if you start using it and find that it shoots better than ever?
    Rumor has it that is how Hornady gets a velocity increase with it Super Performance powder.

On a side note I was giving 8K of small rifle primers that had be under water for three day. After they dried I would get a couple of failure to fire per 1,000 but they grouped of best of any lot of primers to date.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-25-2020 at 01:57 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    If the opinion of a Chemical Engineer matters, here's what I would do. If I only got a small amount of CFE223 in the Ramshot Hunter (an ounce or two in 5 pounds), I would Just stir it well and use it. The primary components of Ramshot Hunter are Nitroglycerine, Diphenylamine and DiButyl Phthalate-- same as CFE 223. The chemical difference is that CFE 223 uses Ethyl Centralite to stabilize the powder and moderate its burn rate, while Ramshot Hunter uses 2-nitrodiphenylamie as a stabilizer. They are both ball shaped, CFE on average has a diameter of 0.60 mm, while Hunter is on average 0.74 mm. The chemical difference makes the Ramshot burn somewhat slower. The main concern would be if you had pounds of one mixed with pounds of the other-- then you will have trouble getting a consistent burn rate-- and that could be a real problem.
    Also a chemist, i'd like to know where you get your data from.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    Also a chemist, i'd like to know where you get your data from.

http://www.ramshot.com/wp-content/up...0/12/msds1.pdf

https://www.hodgdon.com/wp-content/u...s_02-11-14.pdf

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Banned

I would spread it out in my driveway at night and wait till my grandson is here for the weekend and light it up!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I'd recover what I could.
    The area under that baffle can't be more than about 3 tablespoons by volume.
    Going into 5 lbs. That's a pretty thin ratio.

After that, mix it up real well.
    If you're not loading max. charges, it shouldn't be a big deal.
    I would follow this advice. Five lbs of power is an expensive replacement option. I personally trust the advice given in this post.

Boolit Master

Risks vs. Rewards...
    Door# 1: Lose the powder & move on = 0 reward, 0 risk....Boring
    Door #2: Listen to guys on interweb & work loads on mixed powders = high reward (you may have invented a shooter's holy grail powder mix), high risk (life/limb/gun)...Exciting...YOLO
    Which door would you choose?
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    Risks vs. Rewards...
    Door# 1: Lose the powder & move on = 0 reward, 0 risk....Boring
    Door #2: Listen to guys on interweb & work loads on mixed powders = high reward (you may have invented a shooter's holy grail powder mix), high risk (life/limb/gun)...Exciting...YOLO
    Which door would you choose?
    Sooner or later your going to make the same mistake as the thread started did. Some of us older dogs have been there and done that so to speak. Throwing away around $150-180 worth of powder in this case because of the small amount isn't necessary. My opinion. I made a similar mistake with H110 and H335. I simply mixed it good and continued to use it at a load less than maximum. Haven't lost any guns as a result.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not sure what I would do in this situation. But looking forward I would develop a routine to avoid this problem in the future. Only one powder on the bench at a time and full concentration.

Disposing of the powder is the thing to do.

The only way to make your mistake even more expensive is to make another mistake and try and use it.

How does the “risk vs reward” work out for you?

What’s the cost of the powder vs hurting yourself, someone else or the firearms you intend to use the ammunition with?

If you get lucky and don’t hurt anything or anyone are you now going to be able to live the high life with the money you saved?

Not to mention any “development” you would do would be completely worthless because you don’t even know exactly what you have. So that’s all just wasted time if you safely get to the bottom of the container.
    Last edited by jmorris; 02-25-2020 at 10:25 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll probably toss it. I'm moving to Alaska in about a month and have more powder than is allowed to cross into Canada anyways.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    You are not alone

Nearly dumped pistol powder into rifle powder. Much more dangerous. After that, only one powder is ever on my loading bench.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast