Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Silicone baking sheets -Why O why did I wait so long

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by owejia View Post
    Have smelted old lead gutter down spouts with clear silicone used to seal cracks and the silicone just floats to the top, does not melt or burn at lead smelting temp. Have been using the silicone mats for several years and you can take a little acetone and wash the build up right off. Was just discussing using large dia silicone rings to contain powdered coated round balls from rolling off the baking sheets when loading in the oven in another thread.
    I have used Silicone Trivet Mats that have a raised grid/pattern to hold buckshot in place when cooking. You can find these on Amazon for $3-$4.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought the rack and pan set below. Originally I just wanted the rack for hi-tek coating but thought the pan might work really well for powder coat. Been meaning to try. The rack is fantastic for hi-tek.

I have used the silicone sheets.... cut to fit a pan. Definitely a game changer over non stick foil or parchment.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3JX20L..._0dYxEbVTZKME6

Banned
    found this at the Habitat for Humanity "Re-Store" a 16" x 48" piece of punched stainless steel (it's sitting on a 26" saw blade) This should make some great baking trays

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by djryan13 View Post
    I bought the rack and pan set below. Originally I just wanted the rack for hi-tek coating but thought the pan might work really well for powder coat. Been meaning to try. The rack is fantastic for hi-tek.

I have used the silicone sheets.... cut to fit a pan. Definitely a game changer over non stick foil or parchment.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N3JX20L..._0dYxEbVTZKME6
    I personally would use the rack and pan to oven bake chicken wings and buy a silicon mat for a tray and stand my bullets on the mat. You really don't need to spend the money on an expensive tray as Amazon, Costco & Sams sells commercial aluminium baking sheet pans. The last ones I purchased were 2 for $10.

Boolit Master
    djryan13, I have two sets of the copper crisper that lady friends bought for me. They are very handy. Like you I use mine for hi-tek. Works great. With those little legs on the bottom when drying hi-tek it allows air to circulate. Works well when pre warming bullets on top of oven. Powdercoating, these things are great to shake off the excess powder. It could be my imagination but it seems that the copper coating is easier on the powder coat than wire mesh.
    Boolits !!!!! Does that mean what I think it do? It do!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    I personally would use the rack and pan to oven bake chicken wings and buy a silicon mat for a tray and stand my bullets on the mat. You really don't need to spend the money on an expensive tray as Amazon, Costco & Sams sells commercial aluminium baking sheet pans. The last ones I purchased were 2 for $10.
    For hi Tek you need the mesh and I didn’t want to make one with screen cause I was lazy and I know the edges will find a way to cut me...

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I've used the sheets, still have them. I still prefer parchment paper.
    me too.

After reading this thread, I ordered some of the silicone baking sheets, they are working out great for me.
    Aim Small Miss Small

Banned

baking sheets with parchment paper. you get two or three uses out of a piece of parchement paper. NOTHING sticks to it.

Boolit Master
    Parchment paper works well, but it has to be replaced regularly, meaning ongoing expense, time lost traveling time to and from the store, putting miles on your vehicle, fighting through the crowds of parchment paper hoarders, standing in line risking viral infection, when you could have stayed safely in isolation in your garage casting, coating and cooking bullets on your silicone mats.

Parchment doesn't lay flat and stay in place like a silicon mat will. Bullets slide more on parchment and foil than they do on silicone, a dilemma for an old man with shaky hands loading trays into the oven.

Try the mats, you will be happy you did.

I found a couple of these copper bbq mats at Ross for $6 a set. Cut to fit, and they are great.

https://www.amazon.com/Copper-Grill-.../dp/B0725ZP9WC

Anyone want some free ones? Lol. Hitek eliminated PC and all the associated work involved for me. Skip the silicone and switch to hitek.
    Sorry if that’s OT but I went down this path and it was a dead end
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DF21EA94-F12F-48B4-A481-EC1BB4929F09.jpg  

Boolit Bub
    I have been really pleased with baking sheets so far! I baked around 1500 bullets this past weekend and I'm in love with them!

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jlm223 View Post
    After reading this thread, I ordered some of the silicone baking sheets, they are working out great for me.
    Me too. I used them the other day and was very pleased. I'm sure glad I saw this thread. Thanks!

Boolit Bub
    I started out with the silicone baking sheets, cut one in half to cover 2 trays. Has worked well. Good to know I can clean the residue off and continue using them.

walmart has 4 packs for 9.99, got a box last month so they are still relatively new but are holding up nicely. i use the full size cookie pans in my full size oven, they fit the whole width but are about 3/4 inch short on length, i just keep the bullets off that edge

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    Anyone want some free ones? Lol. Hitek eliminated PC and all the associated work involved for me. Skip the silicone and switch to hitek.
    Sorry if that’s OT but I went down this path and it was a dead end
    I went from Hitek to PC since with PC you only have to coat once and Hitek 2 and sometimes 3 times. Probably all the same time in the end. No chemicals with PC either.

As for the baking mats, this is only for those that stand them up right? I'm not doing that. I coat and dump. The mats would not work for that technique.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by psychbiker View Post
    I went from Hitek to PC since with PC you only have to coat once and Hitek 2 and sometimes 3 times. Probably all the same time in the end. No chemicals with PC either.

As for the baking mats, this is only for those that stand them up right? I'm not doing that. I coat and dump. The mats would not work for that technique.
    PC is a chemical.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    PC is a chemical.
    Not like acetone.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by psychbiker View Post

So can you just dump on these mats instead of standing the boolits up??

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast