Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Silicone baking sheets -Why O why did I wait so long

Boolit Master

Silicone baking sheets -Why O why did I wait so long

I finally got around to ordering some sheets off Amazon. 4 for something like $15.
    WOW ! Works like a charm - no stickage!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd get 2 or 3 runs with non stick foil -(prolong the life by pressing out any wrinkles).
    I have used a silicone sheet for maybe 6 runs and it looks the same as when new.
    Bite the boolet (LOL) and get some
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

I use SWMBO's old baking sheets, the PC just peels off. Perfect!

You are so correct. If you are going to PC start out right with baking sheets. If you use a small oven you cut them in half and get 2 out of one.

Boolit Master
    Did you get flat sheets? Or the ones with holes you can stand the bullets up on?

Boolit Bub
    You guys using the silicone sheets, are you able to just cut them to fit your existing tray? I currently stand my bullets up on the tray that came with my toaster oven lined with parchment paper, but, only get a couple cycles out of the paper. Would like to be able to use the silicone as the liner, but, want to make sure it will withstand multiple cycles at the 400ish temp range

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

ive been using the same baking sheet i cut to fit 3 individule pans from the one sheet for a couple years now prolly a few hundred bakes on them. after 10-15 bakes there is a lil build up but with a brass bristled "tooth" brush it comes right off. buddy of mine works in fiberglass insuation factory that uses teflon fabric that stuff makes silicone baking sheets look like notebook paper but if you dont have an insulation insider like i do get the silicone baking sheets. or go in the grilling section of walmart and get the copper colored grill mats they work great too for way less money than the bake sheets.

Boolit Master

+1 on what Littlewolf said. I got a 3-pak of silicon baking sheets off Amazon a couple years ago and that was enough to line 4 pans for my (small) convection oven with about 1 1/4 sheets left over. Dunno how many times they've been used but none show the slightest sign of wear...will probably last forever.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by geslayton View Post
    You guys using the silicone sheets, are you able to just cut them to fit your existing tray? I currently stand my bullets up on the tray that came with my toaster oven lined with parchment paper, but, only get a couple cycles out of the paper. Would like to be able to use the silicone as the liner, but, want to make sure it will withstand multiple cycles at the 400ish temp range

This is one of the original baking sheets my wife gave me in 2012. I am still using my original sheets cut to size with a paper cutter; last year alone I cooked over 30K bullets. My wife deserves all the credit as this was her idea back then to keep me from using up all the non-stick foil. I did a post and now it part of the standard PC process. Just buy good quality sheets like these that she bought at Costco.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1503_1.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	257474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181210_090801995_1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	257475

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    This is one of the original baking sheets my wife gave me in 2012. I am still using my original sheets cut to size with a paper cutter; last year alone I cooked over 30K bullets. My wife deserves all the credit as this was her idea back then to keep me from using up all the non-stick foil. I did a post and now it part of the standard PC process. Just buy good quality sheets like these that she bought at Costco.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1503_1.JPG 
Views:	109 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	257474Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181210_090801995_1.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	257475
    Thanks for the info! I ordered a set last night on Amazon! Gonna have to get/make a couple more trays for my oven so I can just swap them out instead of having to wait for them to cool and reload like I do now. I've only been casting for about a year and only done a few thousand bullets so far but always looking for ways to be more efficient!

Aw hell, now I gotta go buy another new whiz-bang thing.....

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I may be using the wrong type, but mine have started buckling up on me making it difficult to stand up boolits. I’ve been thinking about a Teflon cookie sheet.

Boolit Master
    I use commercial aluminium 1/2 sheet baking trays in my 30" oven as these Costco Sheets are a perfect fit without cutting.

In my Hamilton Beach Countertop Convection Ovens, I wrapped the wire racks with galvanized roof flashing leaving a flat surface then cut the silicon sheets to fit. I made additional wire racks so the toaster ovens can handle as many as 5 racks each.

When you order your silicon mats order an extra set and give it the wife as they are great for baked goods. They are rated for 500 degrees.

Boolit Master

I've used the sheets, still have them. I still prefer parchment paper.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Burnt Fingers View Post
    I've used the sheets, still have them. I still prefer parchment paper.
    I'm curious as to why you went back to parchment paper? Did you have sticking issues with the silicone?

Boolit Master
    I use parchment when I spray because the powder is not attracted to the parchment.

Boolit Master

I'm curious as to why you went back to parchment paper? Did you have sticking issues with the silicone?

Some sticking issues, I just prefer the parchment paper. My dad was a baker so...
    NRA Benefactor.

I cut the sheet I was given into 2 sheets, I use all four sides for the four different colors I have and I have used each about a doves times so far with no appreciable degradation to the surface. I bet I can get 100 uses if not more from a single sheet. BTW- the clean the sheets, I just use the &*^*^&! Harbor Freight White PC on the sheets when they get dirty, bake it and peel it all off, leaving a nice and clean surface. Best use EVER for that %$^#& junk!

I agree with Gunslinger get the silicon sheets and don’t look back. They are the easiest most durable option and you can get two out of a single sheet.

Boolit Master
    A dozen cooks on a sheet so far, lovin it !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Buddy

Have smelted old lead gutter down spouts with clear silicone used to seal cracks and the silicone just floats to the top, does not melt or burn at lead smelting temp. Have been using the silicone mats for several years and you can take a little acetone and wash the build up right off. Was just discussing using large dia silicone rings to contain powdered coated round balls from rolling off the baking sheets when loading in the oven in another thread.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast