MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationADvertise hereTitan Reloading

Thread: Air Feed vs Spring

Boolit Bub

Air Feed vs Spring

So a few months ago I purchased the Air Feed for my Star but hadn't used it until this past weekend. I mix my own black powder lube and it is pretty soft so I try to do all my lubing over the winter when my shop is cool. I keep my shop at 36f when I'm not in it and increase it to 65 when I'm going to be out there. I normally have to take a heat gun to the Star sizer to warm it up but then from that point on do not need to heat it as just the force of the spring tends so soften the lube so it will flow. I lube mostly Big Lube bullets so I go through quite a bit of lube and being able to get 6" of it in the Star with the Air Feed was appealing to me.

Anyhow, I just ordered a heated base because the Air Feed, even running it above the recommended pressure, would not keep the lube flowing and I had to constantly stop and run the heat gun.

Spending another $143 on the heated base is not a big deal for me but I was just surprised that the Air Feed required so much heat and I thought I'd let other cold climate casters know.

Even once the room was up to temp, the Star at at least room temp or higher, the next lube stick still required a lot of heat to get it to start and remain flowing.

Boolit Buddy

I use an oil tank heater with a lamp dimmer switch, I think I have $25 in the whole set up. The lube I use is a bit hard due to operator error but the makeshift heater makes it move.
    I too have an air feed and have to run the pressure up probably more than necessary.

Banned
    I purchased a scrap piece of aluminum at a job shop drilled two holes in it one for the sense probe for the PID control and the other for a 400 watt heating element. Less than $100 spent for a superior temp control setup.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks,
    I'm lazy so I don't mind paying for it. The point of the thread was the need for heat when I never really did before and I glad that LenH is experiencing the same thing and it's not that I have a bad Air Feed.

Boolit Master
    This is good info. I have only had my Star a couple years and I am used to running the lube pressure by hand. Not a big deal as I had a Lyman 4500. I bought all the parts for a homemade air feed around the time I bought the Star mostly because it was an ingenious idea and the parts were cheap. The parts take little space and I have so many bigger projects that I am going to save the air feed for when I run out of other things to do.

400 WATTS? My Lyman heater was 20 watts and was up to temp in a couple minutes, you must really not like waiting. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Moderator Emeritus
    The air adapters work great. I do heat my lube some but then only need to use 20-40 lbs of pressure. I keep the sizer in the house though.

I think the problem you are having might be due to the lube still being too cold. It would take a while to go from 35 degrees to flowable across the entire lube column. As you mentioned, the lube column with the air feed is taller than it was with the spring.

Boolit Bub
    garandsrus , I had the lube up in the house so it was not at 36, I just think that the spring is much stronger than the Air Feed.

Mal, the Big Lube bullets I lube use 5-10 times as much lube as a normal smokeless pistol bullet so the sticks constantly need to be adjusted and replaced very often.

Boolit Master

I got the heater with the star when new. The air system I added later. Can't tell you how happy I am with the air. So, so much smoother operation. Well worth it..
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Bub
    So I sized and lubed about 3000, .452 Big Lube bullets with the new Air Feed, and a little over half of them with the heated base. It all went pretty smoothly, only chomped down on my fingers once when my timing got a little off. I'm glad I bought both the Air Feed and heated base.

Now I'm totally out of bullets and lube and I need to cast another 3k to have enough for the season. I need to find a time when my wife's out so I can make my lube on her stove.

I am considering the bullet feed for no other reason than to keep my hands away from the punch. I'm thinking it may not only be safer but easier to drop the bullets down the included short tube of the feeder than into the fie itself.