Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: down load 4 grand kids

down load 4 grand kids

so, the grand kids have been shooting .22's for a while now. but i would like to kick them into the center fire category. i have a Marlin 336, that i bought the "youth" plastic stock set for. i plan on using cast 100g lee rn boolits ( https://leeprecision.com/mold-dc-311-100-2r.html ). and i want to start real low, and gradually bring them up from there. i have several pistol powders i could use, but i can't help thinking about trail boss. is it possible to download trail boss using filler (Dacron poly fill) to take up the space. i WILL be testing them out before letting the youngsters shoot them, just for safety sake. if not, i will just go with the pistol powders i have. my plan is to nudge them up over the next 2 years, to be able to hunt in the youth hunt our state has.
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

Boolit Master
    With the usual fast pistol powders you do not need any filler. You are going to be working a lot to keep them in bullets with a 2 cav mold so I would suggest you not add to the task with a filler you do not need. Have fun with the kids.

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't use dacron as a filler in bottle necked rifle cases with any powder faster than say Alliant 2400, SR4759 speed. I would NEVER use a dacron filler with Traiboss. There was someone on here using dacron with Unique, don't know if he messed up a rifle or not but he was warned and continued. Taking one of the fast shotgun/pistol powders and stuffing dacron of it has to make the new burn speed akin to det cord!
    Charter Member #148

'' Taking one of the fast shotgun/pistol powders and stuffing dacron of it has to make the new burn speed akin to det cord! ''

REALLY! yikes, glad i asked! so i will just use the pistol powder. can't be taking chances with the kids!
    Silver and Gold are for rich men. Lead and Brass is MY silver and gold! And when push comes to shove, one of my silver and gold pieces will be more valuable than a big pile of actual silver and gold.

USMC 77, USRA 79

how about Red dot??? great way to edge up... blue dot is even better for low recoil.. imagine that.. blue dot is a killer for recoil with heavy loads in 12g, but for low recoil loads you should check out seafire's Blue dot work in rifles. 13 grains of BD in a 30-30 will give you around 1500 fps with around 150g boolit, and the recoil is really nice with that Marlin.

hope that helps.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Master
    just look at the mouse fart thread, I think its called maouse farts for 30-06 but theres info for other 30 cals too. normally around 3gr bullseye or similar and drilled flash holes so the primer don't back out

Boolit Grand Master

Assuming the Marlin is a 30-30?

Lightly lube the Lee bullets and size .311 or shoot "as cast' if .311 or smaller. A very light coat of LLA is all that is needed. Let it thoroughly dry before loading. Simply load over 2.7 - 3.0 gr Bullseye. No filler or wad needed. I use that load over a 90 gr SWC in mine but have used it over your Lee bullet also. It is an excellent load and very accurate at 800+ fps. Little to no recoil and little muzzle blast. The kids will love it......so will you......
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Super Moderator

+1 on the load Larry recommended. In the 30-30, I use the same Lee TL314-90 SWC (sized to .311) 2.7 gr Bullseye load as well. It also works great in the 308W and 30-06 with 3.2 gr Bullseye. I size it to .314 for the Mosin Nagant.

Downloading always reminds me of reading about the dreaded SEE but I can’t remember if that risk exists when using pistol powders?

Boolit Master
    I think that's more with using slow powders in lower amounts where its sketchy on lighting or not.