Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: thinking about a T/C carbine in 32 H&R

Boolit Master

Is MGM our only option now?

Anyone else making a quality Carbine bbl?

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 03-01-2020 at 08:07 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Bub
    we still have bullberry & ssk i think Gary Reeder is still advertising tc barrel work.

Boolit Bub
    i think eabco is still making barrels in house also.

Boolit Buddy
    New Contender barrels are expensive, I wonder if you could have something like a 22 RF barrel rebored?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Is MGM our only option now?

Anyone else making a quality Carbine bbl?

CW
    I believe MGM is the only option for a .311 bore, everyone else makes the 32 with a 308 bore. I really want a 311 or 312 as all my appropriate molds are 313/314

Boolit Bub
    if you ask most will do a .312 bore you may not like the price or the extra time but most will do.

Boolit Grand Master
    Kk
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye Bly View Post
    A year or so ago I lined a shot out Maynard barrel to 32 S&W Long. My intention was to duplicate the 32 rimfire with a centerfire cartridge. I had a 100 grain mold made by Tom at Accurate Molds. It was an endeavor well worth the time and effort. It's a great walk about rifle, short light and accurate. The TC carbine is just a modern Maynard and you will enjoy it immensely. Go with the H&R mag as you have the cases and dies. That way you can load it up or down depending on what you wish at the time. I prefer to keep my loads subsonic as it is a much quieter. That supersonic crack really ups the sound level. Go for it and have fun with it.
    Hi Deadeye,

Your Maynard build sounds interesting. As you say, it’s just a 19th Century TC Contender Carbine (they just weren’t made a SS pistols.) The 32 S&W is a pretty mild round, even with standard (or slightly warmer) factory loads. How do you think it would be to take the OP’s idea of a 32 H&R applied to a Carbine and use that in an old Maynard? Too much of a good thing? Let’s talk it over next time I’m up there in your area for a Skirmish.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Moderator Emeritus

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/32hr.html
    Ballistic by the inch in interesting. I am not sure I agree with a 15" and an 18" bbl each shooting higher velocities than a 16" and 17" but odd thing happen.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    I've been shooting and a fan of the 32 H&R for over 25 years, having a Ruger SS in it ( wish I never sold it) to using my T/C for light hunting, target and even silhouette. The pistol barrel is fine with a .308 bore even using .312 and cast .314 bullets with my pet load of a Sierra 90 JHP over 7.6 of 2400 cutting .33" for a 5 shot at 50 yards, just need to work them up for the pressure load. I have also sized and shot with .308 and cast .309. With all that said my mentor used a .30 M1 barrel that had that extra horsepower the .327 offers but you could download it somewhat as well. The .327 would be my choice even if only available with a .308 bore for the flexibility it offers of adding 2200+ fps to the potential of this rifle barrel. The rifle would offer you a single gun covering everything between the 22LR and the 30-30 IMO in a single platform. You could carry 32ACP for the 800+, 32 S&W, 32 S&W Long, 32 H&R Mag and the 327. If you end up with a 308 bore I would handload them all, if you end up with a .310-312 bore you could use factory or handloads without a care.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=jwhite;4836199]For the last couple weeks or so I have been lugging a T/C contender carbine around in .22lr, it is fitted out with XS peep site setup and pretty handy. I have had it for years and never really used it much, i dug it out for my nephew to use but he wasn't all that interested so I decided i would use it. Shot a pile of squirrels and a few rabbits with it this winter while wandering around on my daily woods walk. The fact that it is so handy got me to thinking about maybe getting another barrel for it and a 32 H&R popped into my mind. Seems like it would be a perfect woods walking companion, I have a 357 handy rifle with a set of peep sites on and it is very accurate but barrel is quite heavy and the 357, even with light cast bullet loads is a bit more than I need horsepower wise. My other usual walking around gun is a Marlin 94CL 25/20, this is about perfect weight wise and very pleasant to lug around, only down side is the loading of the thin cases and poor case life. With a 32 H&R i would be splitting the bore size between the 25/20 and 357 and being a straight case I would be using carbide dies for fast and lube free reloading. I also have 500 starline 32 cases and several molds to feed it with.

Has anyone on here gone this route before and got any thoughts or suggestions? My father in law has a 32/20 contender carbine barrel, it is from the T/C custom shop but has a 308 bore and I would be back to lubing cases which i would like to avoid.

Looking around it seems that MGM would be the first choice as they actually offer a 311 barrel option, all the others only build their 32's on 308 barrels and this doesn't interest me at all. Only twist rate in that bore size is 1-10 which should be perfect, heaviest boolit i might use is a 314440 that i got for my 7.62x39's.Thinking a 23" medium weight barrel would be about ideal, the standard carbine profile is pretty light and a bit hard to hard steady. Would most likely got with a set of skinner peep sights mounted.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions you may have regarding a 32hr carbine barrel!

Jerry[/QUOTEClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5608.jpeg 
Views:	15 
Size:	118.7 KB 
ID:	322428Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5610.jpeg 
Views:	17 
Size:	157.4 KB 
ID:	322429]

Almost 4 years after this post I finally have a 32h&r barrel for my Contender!

Boolit Master
    Well I'm not a frequent poster but long standing member and you got my interest! Care to share what your final path was? I've have a high wall 32-20 with a bad pitted barrel that I've flirted with this path more than once. Like you the H&R is very versitile and well a rifel would go great along my Ruger BH. I only have my one contendar pistol with a few barrels but wish i would have picked up a rifle stock yrs ago.

Nice! Looks like it was worth the wait.

Boolit Buddy
    Been in the single digits here the last couple mornings so not the best condition for load testing. So far the best shooting load is the 100gr Hornady xtp with 9.4gr of AA9. This load was grouping into nice tight clusters at 50yards. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5617.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	28.8 KB 
ID:	322462

Boolit Buddy
    The ranch dog 115gr bullet, gas checked & powder coated, is grouping well along with a store bought 120gr coated Missouri Bullet. 800x and AA7 both producing good results with cast boolits. Once I finish up testing loads I will probably pull the scope and install a Skinner receiver sight I have sitting here. I also had a surprise with the Hornady swaged semi wadcuttter, Ken Waters mentioned good success with those in his Pet Loads so I figured I would try a few. I loaded four of them with .3 cc dipper of 700x, I tried them while out for a walk shooting at knot on a spruce tree about 25yards away. I walked up after shooting and saw the base of a bullet, i pried it out and discovered I had stacked three of those bullets in the same hole! Granted only at 25 yards but would make a perfect quiet, low power squirrel load. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5615.jpg 
Size:	31.2 KB 
ID:	322464Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5614.jpg 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	322465

Boolit Buddy
    I am also glad I went with the 23” barrel, it balances perfectly. I had thought about going with a 19” but it would have been heavy in the butt end if I had. All in all very happy with it. I ordered a Mihec 100gt hollow pointed last night that I hope will be the “ultimate” boolit for this project.

Very nice looking little TC ! I have had a soft spot for the Contender for a long time and currently have 3 carbines with another waiting on furniture. Looks like you have a winner there.

Boolit Buddy
    Will the contender handle a 30 carbine cartridge? Cases are pretty easy to find, and will last, and loading it down will get you into the velocity range you want. It was made for a .308 barrel. Custom TC contender barrels aren't any more expensive than reworking a 410 shotgun.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Will the contender handle a 30 carbine cartridge? Cases are pretty easy to find, and will last, and loading it down will get you into the velocity range you want. It was made for a .308 barrel. Custom TC contender barrels aren't any more expensive than reworking a 410 shotgun.
    Yessir, the G1 Contender was available in 30 Carbine from the factory. I gots one such here. They be collectable now.

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    They be collectable now.
    They all be collectable now!

Boolit Master

Dang you guys! Dropped into single shots to snoop for some chatter about 256 Winchester and this thread slammed me right between the eyes.

Jwhite, that is one beautiful rig! Looks like full bull barrel? How long did you have to wait for it? Thinking about doing a similar project.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast