Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: thinking about a T/C carbine in 32 H&R

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jwhite View Post
    I have no intentions of a 327 mag, got 500 starline 32 h&r cases and a safe full of bigger, faster, loader rifles if needed; 32 H&R would be perfect and 90% of the time a lighter load similar to a 32 long would be plenty. For me a wood walking rifle needs to quiet, accurate and cheap & easy to load for.
    I suggested the 327 chambering not because you would have to shoot the longer cartridges in it but so you would be able to. I shot my old S&W Model 66 revolver with literally thousands of 38 Special rounds and probably about 100 357s. Just because I had a magnum chamber didn’t mean I had to use it.

The TC platform is more than strong enough to handle 327 Magnum pressures if you so desire and will shoot those 32 H&R rounds like nobody’s business. In his last public appearance Skeeter himself, in spite of his longstanding love affair with the 32-20, strongly encouraged me to go with a 32 H&R barrel for my TC, but that was a couple of decades before the arrival of the 327. He was pushing the envelope with his H&R loads s the early Single Sixes, so I’m sure he would have been first in line for the 327, but then it would have been possible to back off when the situation demanded it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajohns View Post
    I'm on my way to building two Hopkins and Allens. A 932 and one into a 938. Both will be made to the 6 o' clock extractor style. One in 32 s&w long and one in 38 s&w (short). From what I've used of the 32, they're a lot of fun and so cheap to load for. I almost always grab the 32 these days over a 22 long rifle. Both will go along with revolvers to match.
    Have fun!

I've got a H&A 932 in .32 S&W long, and it's a great deal of fun and very accurate.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Buddy
    I have had a contender carbine in 32 H&R for 15 years or so. It is the perfect small game and walking around rifle. An 85gr gc over 4.0 231 is all the small game hunter needs. It shoots less than 1" at 50 yds all day long. The Lyman 31108 over 7.8 2400 is suitable for heavier work. I can see no need for a 327 if you have a 357. 32 longs shoot well in this rifle as well. It has a 1-10 twist. I have shot the 150 gr 311414 over 7.5 gr 2400 with great accuracy as well . Go for it these little 32's are addicting!

Boolit Master

I've had mine for years, came from Fox Ridge when T/C was still cool enough to have a custom shop. All I can say is get one, great round, great rifle for toting in the woods.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Mold
    I've wanted my own .32 caliber rook rifle for quite some time. With a .32 S&W short or long case, a couple of grains of a fast powder, and a flat-nosed or wadcutter bullet, a 26" rifle is nearly silent and kills far better than a rimfire. I've written Henry to ask them to chamber their single shot in .327 Federal or .32 H&R so I can shoot the silent stuff, but no joy yet. At the 2020 SHOT show, this new company Midland Arms showed their single shot rimfires and shotguns, and has plans to bring out affordable centerfires.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/m...hot-show-2020/

I wrote to them asking them for a .32 chambering as well and received a standard reply. Their website is:

https://www.shootmidland.com/collections/firearms

It might be worth multiple people writing to them to request a .32 rifle. It would be affordable and will accept a red dot or scope.

In the meantime, any of you have an extra single shot .32 you want to sell?

Boolit Bub
    Picked up a Contender a couple months back with carbine length barrels in 218 Bee & 32 H&R, both from the custom shop. So little recoil from the 32, & pretty accurate to boot. What's not to like?

The problem with buying a new, single barrel for a Contender from say MGM, is that they're expensive. Don't get me wrong, I love the old style rifles. I like the Contender and own one. But 400some odd dollars for a single barrel I can buy two new 22's. One for me and my boy. Used barrels are around, so I usually keep my eyes open. Ebay and such.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    My Contender is chambered for the Badger but I like your idea of a straight case for ease of loading . Both the Contender and my Browning 32WCF need lube but the .32 magnum wasn't an option when I got the Browning . Well ... that and the fact I load enough to have some on hand all the time makes the fuss with lube not such a problem .

I wouldn't give up on either cartridge I'm using but , if I was doing it all over I like the stretched .32 performance .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajohns View Post
    The problem with buying a new, single barrel for a Contender from say MGM, is that they're expensive. Don't get me wrong, I love the old style rifles. I like the Contender and own one. But 400some odd dollars for a single barrel I can buy two new 22's. One for me and my boy. Used barrels are around, so I usually keep my eyes open. Ebay and such.
    I agree fully about the cost, the .311 barrels have an extra cost premium added to them and by the time I added Skinner or XS sights and a new forend I would have close to $600 bucks into a new 32 barrel from MGM. Seems crazy? Hard to put a price tag on “gun happiness” but does make you stop and think. I got a couple 18” Green Mountain.312 blanks I bought years ago and I might attempt a barrel stubbing project. Can’t seem to shake the .32 H&R single shot from my mind so I got to do something!

I have most of the configurations ever offered in .327fed [2"-6" bbl].
    I also have a Custom Shop 23" .327fed [M4 stock and glass]....it is sweet sweet sweet.
    The .308dia is fine with Berry's plated and lead and coated.

I, too, have requested Henry to chamber the single-shot in .327fed,
    as well as Ruger in the [M77/327]
    Liberalism is an incurable disease

Boolit Master

I have been having the same thought. I really like the 32 H&R and it would pair well with the 631. My goto carbine barrel is 17HMR, good reach, low noise and fairly cheap ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

Thinking of the same. I'm considering a BR "shot out" longer barrel in 30 BR with a 16 - 18" twist as a basis to have a custom Contender barrel made and chambered in 32 H&R magnum as I too have no use for the 327...…

Then again my #3 Ruger in 22 hornet is shot out so I may have it re-bored to .308-.312, given a 16 - 18" twist and chambered in 32 H&R magnum...…..
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    A Ruger No. 3 in a 32 H&R would be a real nice set up

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Thinking of the same. I'm considering a BR "shot out" longer barrel in 30 BR with a 16 - 18" twist as a basis to have a custom Contender barrel made and chambered in 32 H&R magnum as I too have no use for the 327...…

Then again my #3 Ruger in 22 hornet is shot out so I may have it re-bored to .308-.312, given a 16 - 18" twist and chambered in 32 H&R magnum...…..
    Please forgive the thread drift OP, but Larry has hit on a whole different level of cool. I’ve long speculated that the Ruger #3 Carbine is the ideal platform for this project, but of course I’d have to run the reamer in a little deeper and make a 327 FM out of it. If I ever grow wealthy and able to indulge my penthouse tastes, that will be one of my first projects.

Back to the original topic, TC enthusiasts around here have a successful history of stubbing shot out original barrels and making a mono-bloc with whatever caliber is desired. You could profile a NOS military Enfield barrel and fit it to the original stub, chamber it and fit a proper extractor, and you would be good to go. One more plug for chambering to 327, of course.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    A year or so ago I lined a shot out Maynard barrel to 32 S&W Long. My intention was to duplicate the 32 rimfire with a centerfire cartridge. I had a 100 grain mold made by Tom at Accurate Molds. It was an endeavor well worth the time and effort. It's a great walk about rifle, short light and accurate. The TC carbine is just a modern Maynard and you will enjoy it immensely. Go with the H&R mag as you have the cases and dies. That way you can load it up or down depending on what you wish at the time. I prefer to keep my loads subsonic as it is a much quieter. That supersonic crack really ups the sound level. Go for it and have fun with it.

Boolit Bub
    i think i have decided to go with the 32 h&r for the first barrel 311 bore 1&10 twist. unless ssk can make me a deal on a 312 barrel. getting closer to april cant wait to get my hands on this new frame

Moderator Emeritus

I would look at a shorter bbl length. I don't think there would be much velocity loss to go to a 16 1/2" bbl with the 32 Mag.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    The .32 H&R is to the .327 as the .44 special is to the .44 Magnum.
    The .32 H&R is special too.
    With handloads and cast bullets it will do all I need.
    A TC carbine in .32 H&R is perfect.
    Thank you.

Boolit Bub
    to me the 32 h&r should make the perfect camp rifle for camp robbers like raccoons,possums,skunks,Armadillos and the likes. the 18.5 inch barrel will balance good not to long or to short easy to throw in the jeep or the truck. light and handy. and it should be good for small game hunting for camp meat. plus its cheap to reload and shoot. whats not to like.

Boolit Grand Master
    check out edstc.com. He might have one. Probably have to call him as I don't think he keeps the website inventory updated

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast