Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: thinking about a T/C carbine in 32 H&R

Boolit Buddy
    The 24 inch Contender carbine is just all that. Our first 17 Hornet and our first carbine barrel is an EABco I got for my daughter when she first started shooting chucks. In Washington state you need license and until she passed hunter education I was using it with a man size stock. With her 5-20 Nikon Monarch it is about the nicest little rifle to take a stroll with. It just carries nicely.

I was in central WA shooting with a couple buddies for a weekend when we first got it. My first shot was off hand at ~75 yards and dead centered a big chuck. We spent the rest of the weekend sharing that one rifle. All three of us bought CZ 527 Americans in 17 Hornet as soon as we got home and none of the three shot sub half inch groups like her Contender. Close, but she has us beat by about an eighth inch.

Here’s the deal though, that Contender balances and caries so nice. I’ve borrowed it a few times and left my CZ home. My two younger kids are very small in stature, I went with an MGM 21 inch tapered for their Contender 17 Hornets. It shoots as well as the heavy barrel, but has nowhere near the wonderful balance the heavier barrel has.

I’ve got an MP HP mold for my Single Seven. This thread sure gets me thinking about calling MGM and getting a 327 Federal 24 inch Contender barrel ordered up. 32 Mag or 327 Federal smoke deer with XTP bullets out of SSM and Single Seven revolvers, having a nice little 32 caliber Contender carbine would be a hoot.
    Last edited by JDHasty; 01-24-2024 at 12:29 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Hackleback View Post
    New Contender barrels are expensive, I wonder if you could have something like a 22 RF barrel rebored?
    I think the answer to that is probably yes. Jesse at JES is set up to do 32-20. He doesn’t advertise it on his web site, but he does them.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    Dang you guys! Dropped into single shots to snoop for some chatter about 256 Winchester and this thread slammed me right between the eyes.

Jwhite, that is one beautiful rig! Looks like full bull barrel? How long did you have to wait for it? Thinking about doing a similar project.
    I ordered it on Labor Day and received it a few days after Christmas. Well worth the wait.

Boolit Buddy
    I have ordered a 314-640-100grain mild from Mihec, I think this will be the perfect mold for this 32 carbine. Should be able to duplicate the 100gr xtp speeds and performance with this hollow pointed boolit.

Boolit Buddy
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5647.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	322710

Once again amazed at how fast MP molds are delivered to the US! Order the 314-640 mold Sunday night and had it before lunch on Thursday. First batch is coated and ready to load for the T/C this morning.

Wow, fast shipping and pretty boolits! What color is that powder if you don't mind me asking?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BobT View Post
    Wow, fast shipping and pretty boolits! What color is that powder if you don't mind me asking?
    Don’t remember the exact name but it is a purple that Smoke had in his powder listing on here. I went back to the safety blue as it seems to coat better with a thicker more uniform finish.