Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: thinking about a T/C carbine in 32 H&R

Boolit Buddy

thinking about a T/C carbine in 32 H&R

For the last couple weeks or so I have been lugging a T/C contender carbine around in .22lr, it is fitted out with XS peep site setup and pretty handy. I have had it for years and never really used it much, i dug it out for my nephew to use but he wasn't all that interested so I decided i would use it. Shot a pile of squirrels and a few rabbits with it this winter while wandering around on my daily woods walk. The fact that it is so handy got me to thinking about maybe getting another barrel for it and a 32 H&R popped into my mind. Seems like it would be a perfect woods walking companion, I have a 357 handy rifle with a set of peep sites on and it is very accurate but barrel is quite heavy and the 357, even with light cast bullet loads is a bit more than I need horsepower wise. My other usual walking around gun is a Marlin 94CL 25/20, this is about perfect weight wise and very pleasant to lug around, only down side is the loading of the thin cases and poor case life. With a 32 H&R i would be splitting the bore size between the 25/20 and 357 and being a straight case I would be using carbide dies for fast and lube free reloading. I also have 500 starline 32 cases and several molds to feed it with.

Has anyone on here gone this route before and got any thoughts or suggestions? My father in law has a 32/20 contender carbine barrel, it is from the T/C custom shop but has a 308 bore and I would be back to lubing cases which i would like to avoid.

Looking around it seems that MGM would be the first choice as they actually offer a 311 barrel option, all the others only build their 32's on 308 barrels and this doesn't interest me at all. Only twist rate in that bore size is 1-10 which should be perfect, heaviest boolit i might use is a 314440 that i got for my 7.62x39's.Thinking a 23" medium weight barrel would be about ideal, the standard carbine profile is pretty light and a bit hard to hard steady. Would most likely got with a set of skinner peep sights mounted.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions you may have regarding a 32hr carbine barrel!

Jerry

Boolit Master

I think it's a great idea. The 32 H&R is a modern equivalent of an ideal midbore English Rook Rifle round. It can be loaded for near silence with hollow base wadcutters and up to near 32-20 performance. Wonderful woods walking rifle round.

My version will be in a rebored William Evans break action Rook Rifle.

I have such a rifle in my plans now. I made one about 2 years ago on a very lightweight folding Yildiz 410 shotgun and chambered it to 32 H&R but the chamber was a little egg shaped at the case mouth due to using a reamer without a pilot. The fired cases were hard to extract so I eventually rechambered it to a shortened rimmed 300 blk.out.
    I ordered a old rolling block 410 from Cabelas that they had in their used guns online a week ago and it still hasn't showed up. It looks perfect to become a 32 S& W or 32 H&R as it is very petite weighing only 2 lbs. 12 oz with a thin shotgun barrel. Once I get it and determine how strong and the condition of the action I plan to convert it to 32 H&R if it's in good condition. I figure a 410 shotshell has more breech thrust than the 32 H&R as the case head is over 40 % larger.
    I plan on making it look like a early rook rifle and have a simple homemade peep sight for mostly 50 yards and less pest shooting as here at home I shoot more varmints of all types than targets or edible game by far.
    I recently got on a 32 cal. kick as I had a 1892 Marlin rifle in 32 Colt long that I made brass for and have a heeled bullet mold for but it didn't feed smoothly so I rechambered it to 32 S&W with the case shortened by .025 and it now shoots and feeds well. Then I picked up a old S&W revolver in 32 and now plan the rook rifle.

Jedman

Boolit Grand Master
    I would say that in all likelihood it will make a great companion for lazy days in the woods. About 30 years ago I built a 32 H&R chambered Winchester low wall based on a 32 rim fire. Bore was marginal, but with jacketed bullets it shot well. With a good barrel it would have been a world beater! A light rifle in a 32 pistol class caliber is just an all around fun project. If I were using the TC platform, I'd probably chamber to 327 Fed Mag instead of 32 H&R, just to get a little more flexibility. It should still shoot the H&R round well too.

Regards and good luck!
    Green Frog

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Probably could not do better for a fun woods wondering long gun...

I've got a TC Carbine and at one point had a lot of barrels as I live were TC "used" to be made before bought and moved by S&W... The only two barrels I have left are an 18" Custom Shop .22 Long Rifle and a TCA 16.5" .41 Magnum barrel...

Since I now have a "few" .32s {Think I caught the bug from a GreenFrog} have been thinking about a 18-20" MGM .327 barrel.... Just found a TCA 12" Octagon barrel in .32 H&R that is supposed to have a .308 bore that CWlongshot and I plan on playing with shortly...and maybe open up to .327...

Bob

Boolit Bub
    i ave a ssk-50 frame on order trying to figure what i want for a barrel thinking 32 h&r or 327fm leaning towards the 327.. i have no trouble with the 311 bore but i don't know about the 1&10 twist. want to shot heavy's i have the sledge hammer mold but thinking about getting a accurate #31-135S mold. i'am in the same boat as you.

The Contenders are addicting. Beware !

Boolit Master
    I've got a custom 10" barrel in 32 long for the contender frame, and several .32 caliber rifles. You won't be disapointed by the fun factor and usefulness as a woodswalking gun.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

If it were mine, I'd have it re-chambered to .327 Federal Magnum, then you could shoot a larger variety of calibers from plinking to hunting.

Boolit Bub
    any opinion's on the 1&10 twist in a carbine barrel.

Boolit Master

I too have recently need infatuated by the 327. I have a couple 32/20’s and shot them allot years ago. I resist the urge because of the 32/30’s.

But would enjoy a 327 rifle or Carbine

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot several 7.62x39's with a 1-10 twist with light loads, 32h&r equivalent and they all seem to work very well

Boolit Buddy
    Guess I need to do some more research, had not heard a thing about the SSK-50 until the replies to this post. Might be worth an inquiry to SSK to see if they will do a .311-.312 barrel in 32 H&R. I had toyed with the idea of getting one of the new G2 frames if I was to go ahead and order a new barrel but haven't really made up my mind yet, maybe the SSK-50 would be a better choice. My old style Contender frame has a wonder full trigger, only thing i dislike about it the the fact you have to re-cock after letting hammer back down.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
    If it were mine, I'd have it re-chambered to .327 Federal Magnum, then you could shoot a larger variety of calibers from plinking to hunting.
    I think you were writing to me, and I suspect that if it were the only .32 option I had, I might do that, but it's one of many for me, so no need for versatility with the other stuff I've got.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    I would keep it a 32 H&R. There is no reason for the extra case capacity if you have the 357. I would even consider a shorter 32 case. The 1/10 would do well with 130ish bullets under 1000 fps

Boolit Bub
    The 1/10 would do well with 130ish bullets under 1000 fps

i think in a carbine barrel could be more in the 2000 to 2300 fps range

Boolit Buddy
    I have no intentions of a 327 mag, got 500 starline 32 h&r cases and a safe full of bigger, faster, loader rifles if needed; 32 H&R would be perfect and 90% of the time a lighter load similar to a 32 long would be plenty. For me a wood walking rifle needs to quiet, accurate and cheap & easy to load for.

Well said. Sometimes less is more and for myself I don't need a magnum.

Jedman

Boolit Bub
    the h&r was my first choice i have 1000 new brass but i also have a 1000 new 327 brass.

I'm on my way to building two Hopkins and Allens. A 932 and one into a 938. Both will be made to the 6 o' clock extractor style. One in 32 s&w long and one in 38 s&w (short). From what I've used of the 32, they're a lot of fun and so cheap to load for. I almost always grab the 32 these days over a 22 long rifle. Both will go along with revolvers to match.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast