Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: I have a couple rifles with the banded ramp front sights.

Boolit Master

I have a couple rifles with the banded ramp front sights.

I have a couple rifles with the banded drive on front sights. One is a Lyman and the second is a Redfield. I removed the sight blade on the lyman along with the set screw. Short of heating it with a propane tourch it won't budge. Same for the redfield neither will move.
    The Lyman I want to save as well as the Redfield. Want to put a Lyman 17XNB which is a globe type target sight for my sportered 1943A3.Still has the issue barrel and was not cut down. Hate to say this but I think the propane tourch is the only way to go. I have a smaller than normal tourch tip and seems heating it up slowley would be the safest approach. So if anyone has done this I'd greatly appreciate hearing about your secuess.Frank

If you have a short piece of small diameter copper pipe, try using it for a punch and drive the band off forward. If it doesn't work, at least you haven't damaged anything. I would love to see pictures of both of these sights if you can.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Possibly soldered on?

Ya know I actually woke p in the middle of the night as my mind recognized my spelling error.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 02-27-2020 at 04:36 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Texas by God, yeah I would like to see pictures posted by me on this forum. Unfortunately I'm electronically challenged. Basically anything electronic I have problems with. I gave away a rather expensive printer because I couldn't figure out how it worked. And even read the manual,many times. My BIL on the other hand is a whiz at this stuff. Go figure. Supposed to get cold tonight and tomorrow. When it warms up some will try with the Lyman first. That one is on a chopped 1917 barrel. Unfortunately the Redfield is on my 1903A3. Don't want to mess up the bluing on that one. I've used a short section of 1/4"brass brazing rod on the Lyman but no joy. Frank

Boolit Master
    Try making a sleeve with the inside just a couple thousandths bigger than the barrel just behind the band and cut the side out so that it will slip over the barrel. It can then be pushed off in a press.
    If you don't have the equipment, any machine shop would be able to do it. If done carefully, it won't even damage the bluing.

Boolit Master
    I have two tips for my Mapp tourch. One is a regular size that I"ve used for soldering pipes and such. The other tip is about the half diameter of the first one. I'll slowely head up the bottom of the band and work my way around it. The front sight and screw that was in the dovetail are out and safely tucked away. This sight is in an old model of 1917 Enfield barrel in 30-06 and while the out side of the barrel don't look like much I really bought the barrel for the sight. The redfield sight is on my 1903A3 and won't be messing with it until I get the sight Lymans 17XNB. This sight is a direct replacement for the lyman sight. Basically like a figure 8, the bottom is held in place with the issue key and cross pin. The top part is a globe target sight lyman 17 with a bunch of inserts. Than going to look for a lyman 48 that fits the Springfield. Sort of a retro look. And stick in a chopped C stock. And eventually glass bed the action and first two inches of the barrel. Frank