Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Casting questions - what am I doing wrong here?

Boolit Bub

Beginner Casting questions - what am I doing wrong here?

I've only been casting for a few months, mostly its gone pretty well and I've figured out a few things. Today though was the first day with a new to me (aka. used) 5 gang mold 200gr SWC .452 from NOE. I'm running my lead about 650-700 degrees by thermometer and use a pretty large Lyman ladle that will hold enough lead to fill all 5 cavities and have some left over.

Questions: Today some of these bullets were perfect or close enough and then I started getting some with mold lines. I thought maybe I wasn't squeezing the handles tight enough or that I had something between the mold blocks. I checked that with my gloved hand and didn't see any junk in there. Holding the mold up to the light, I didn't see any gaps with light coming through. It started to get a bit worse I think as I went and the mold got hotter at the end some of them were getting "fingers". First time I've seen this but again, a new to me mold. I have other molds from NOE and haven't experienced this.

Fluxing and skimming? When I flux, stir it down and skim I'm (bees wax today) I get a some black junk that I skim off and try not to remove much metal. I guess I'm worried that I'm actually removing tin and antimony. Today my pot stayed "junky" which was also a bit unusual for what I've done in the past. The attached photo of the pot is at the end of the casting session and I've still got junk. I took my spoon and pulled it over to the side to make it bit more clear. Is that tin or zinc or ??? The lead I'm working with is second hand Wheel Weights. It had been used as race car lead. They took a valve cover and filled it with 100lbs of WW lead and I busted it up, melted it down and fluxed it when casting into ingots. So it is a an unknown mixture of whatever they had thrown into the valve cover when it was first melted down. Any feed back on what I'm seeing on top of my lead would be appreciated.

The third photo is of the mold. Am I opening it too soon? I'm pouring a good sized sprue puddle but getting some voids. What am I doing wrong? This is the first time I've cast with a 5 gang mold and haven't had this issue with single, double or the one triple molds I have.

Thanks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200223_154748.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	43.2 KB 
ID:	257394Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200223_155126.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	257395Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200223_154738.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	46.7 KB 
ID:	257396

By the way, howdy from ky and welcome to the CB.GL forum.

Mould lines as the mould gets hot? Sounds like you're dropping too soon and the bullets are getting slightly deformed from twisting slightly as the mould opens.

The pot junk seems like you need to flux more often and probably better to start with. I like wax to flux with clean lead. But with dirty lead I use sawdust to help remove that junk then flux again with wax when clean. You need to stir more. When you flux, stir your dipper too, and get any junk off it with a spoon for the outside and a stick for the inside.

The holes in the sprue cut is inclusions from needing to flux. Not to be confused with the pot hole like torn sprues from opening the sprue cutter a touch soon. Those torn sprues are not a concern for me unless shooting for the highest score. Those inclusions get rejected though for my bullets.

If you had zinc you'd have oatmeal looking foamy sludge. You'd know it.

As far as losing tin, nah. Flux with a thumbnail sized chunk of wax and stir for 2 minutes straight and anything you skim will be junk. Scrape the sides and bottom of your pot well.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 02-24-2020 at 06:25 PM.

Either your mold is warped or more likely there’s something keeping the halves from mating up. Could be the pins or a small bit of lead that escaped somehow. Look for light.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you are starting with wheel weights or lead that hasn’t been properly fluxed before, you definitely need to start with sawdust or another carbon based flux. When my sawdust wasn’t dry I used Quaker Oats once. After the sawdust droth is skimmed off, then use the bee’s wax to flux. You might try a little hotter too.

In the picture, the the mold lines look individual. The ones I’ve had were all connected on each side. Hopefully someone will recognize what they are from.

Looks like you got some good info to start with. I don’t know about the “fingers.” As far as not knowing what’s in your lead, I read another post where there was a member who would test it for you for a small ingot. Don’t quote me on what another member will or won’t do, I just had read that one member would. My lead is all range scrap so I haven’t had it tested yet. But I may. I’ll have to do a search and try to find that post.
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Here is a post that may let you find him.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-still-testing
    Just knowing enough to do it, is not enough to do it right! -Taz

Boolit Master
    Well I have been casting at least 45 years and I am still a novice compared to a lot of the folks here .
    But when I have lead flowing into the vent lines I think maybe my mold is to hot.

Boolit Bub
    I took the mold downstairs when it was cool and put it under a lighted magnifying glass. I can see some dark schmutz along the edge of a couple of the cavities, so I may have opened it a bit quickly and it may be a bit of lead. So thinking about how to clean the inside edges of the mold without damaging it. Propane torch and heavy cloth? 3M abrasive pad? 000 steel wool?

Boolit Bub
    So when I started with this batch of lead it was very junky, sloppy WW and I fluxed multiple times with sawdust before making ingots. When I go back I'll flux it a third time with sawdust and try to get it clean. I was worried that I was scraping tin off the surface so good to know that's not the case and I'll work at getting the lead cleaner next time before making my cupcake ingots.

Stir & flux more, add more pure Lead and/or lower the temp.
    Wait a few more seconds before you cut the sprue.

I don't go more than about 15 minutes before I stir again.
    I'm not sure if the goodies will stratify that soon or not, I just stir anyway.

I don't clean the inside cavities of the mold with anything more aggressive than a Q-Tip after it has soaked in solvent.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    If you have no "whiskers" on the casting when starting out, and then they begin forming, it might be due to overheating the mold and perhaps the previous owner "improved" the vent lines which allows the allow to flow into those lines. This will also give you a satin sheen and eventually a more obvious frosted finish to the bullets. Slow down the pace when you start seeing the whiskers and see if that does not resolve the issue. Some will suggest touching the mold to a damp rag, but just slowing the pace should show you if that is an issue or not. I am guessing you are pouring the alloy into the mold and not pressure filling. Each time you fill the mold you are adding more heat so the faster you pour, the more the mold heats up. Good luck.

To clean a little lead from the mould faces I heat the mould where it would be over hot for casting, open it and try rubbing a course cotton rag against it. Like a shop towel or dish rag. If that doesn't suffice I heat again and scrape with my pencil.

Heating half the mould with a touch is a bad idea because most likely it will be unevenly heated and might warp. Heating on the lead heats it slowly and evenly with virtually no danger of damage.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Winger, Bazoo and Dusty. I would have taken the propane torch to it tomorrow. I'll go for a more gentle method and try the pencil. I have a hotplate I can sit it on to warm it up. I don't think the previous owner (a forum member here) did anything untoward to the mold as it started out casting fine. I probably opened it a bit too soon with the mold being too warm and got a smidge of lead on the edge of one or more cavities.

I like the pencil for cleaning out any boogies

Boolit Master

unused wooden chopsticks are my 'go to.' I use the narrow end for dipping into 2 cycle oil, letting it mostly drip off (or wipe, there will be enough in the wood grain) for lubing the locator pins/surfaces and even the underside of the sprue plate. being careful not to get any in the cavity is a given.

I use the wide flat end of the chopstick for scraping off any lead smear or splatter. I had a new aluminium mold that came with a burr. I rubbed the side of the stick on the burr until it was removed. Wood is a good tool for aluminium or brass molds, a pocket knife, not so much.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Well I have been casting at least 45 years and I am still a novice compared to a lot of the folks here .
    But when I have lead flowing into the vent lines I think maybe my mold is to hot.
    OR pressure casting, holding the ladle/pour spout in full contact with the spru plate.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    OR pressure casting, holding the ladle/pour spout in full contact with the spru plate.
    I was definitely pressure casting and the ones with the whiskers and mold lines were the first two that would have gotten the most pressure and hottest lead. So yeah, I'll clean this up and give it all a second casting session in the near future. I will also shoot those just the way they are. I think they'll be fine for plinking after powder coating and sizing. That steel plate won't care how pretty the boolit is.

I get the best results with about 1/2-3/4" free fall. Both in terms of fillout and not having inclusions caused by the oxidized film.

Nothing wrong with shooting those bullets. You get too picky and you won't ever have bullets to shoot. I've become a little more picky as time has passed but it depends on the application too. Plinking bullets for my 45 I ain't as picky about as say, 31141s for my 30-30.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks Bazoo, I'll give the "free fall" method a try next time I'm at the pot. It seems it would make a bigger sprue mess on the sprue place which is why I've done the full contact pouring up until now. They turned out pretty well for a first run with this mold and I'm pretty happy. I'll do downstairs with a chopstick and see if I can rub off that bit of lead. Here is what I got done yesterday
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200223_204002.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	257451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200223_182305.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	257452

I pour over the pot so I don't have much mess. I get lead all over the mould, at the end of casting I heat the mould on the lead again and wipe it clean of splatter with a rag.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast