Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: On a rimfire binge lately..

Boolit Master

On a rimfire binge lately..

Picked up a few neat old .22s the past few weeks.

Savage model 1922 is interesting for the one piece barrel/action.. One I have was only made one year (1922) as a sporter version of the Savage 19 NRA target rifle. After 1922 it was "cheapened" and became the Model 23A (dropping trigger adjustment and a few other things).

Then I ran across a JC Higgens model 31. I've casually looked for one of these for a long time. They are one of the few semi autos that have a reputation for shooting shorts well. Made by High Standard exclusively for Sears. Have a reputation of being very accurate for a semi. Found one in great shape for really cheap. Had to come home with me.

Then I see as perfect of Mossberg 146B-A as I've ever seen. Changeable front sights, Rear fold away peep, detachable sling swivels still there, Optional Weaver 4x in perfect shape, perfect blue... Another $100 down the drain.

To finish off the week I made a deal for a DSM 34 (Deutshes Sports Modell 1934-early 40s) made by Walther that is in very good shape (missing sling and fake cleaning rod). I always liked these Mauser K98 like .22 trainers. They called them "Sports model" because in the 30's when these were built, Germany wasn't allowed to make military rifles so they just stamped them as sporters. Like my old Colt AR15 that was stamped Match Target Competition so it woudn't be an assault rifle or an SKS I had that the importer engraved "SPORTER" on the receiver so they weren't selling assault rifles.. (-:} DSM 34 is a neat little piece of Hitler era history. I wonder where the youth that trained with this one ended up (wear on the stock is very youth positioned).

Beauty of .22s, there are some really nice accurate rifles out there that can be had for under $100 often way under that price. They are again cheap to shoot (3-5 cents a round for cheaper bulk ammo). They can be quiet enough to shoot in most any rural setting (I have been shooting CCI Quiets lately). Fun for the buck factor, they are just hard to beat. (-:}
    Last edited by arlon; 02-23-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Wow! You are, as they say, "on a roll." Those are some nice acquisitions, and the Walther is very collectable. Congratulations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Wow! You are, as they say, "on a roll." Those are some nice acquisitions, and the Walther is very collectable. Congratulations.
    It's like everything else, spend a year not seeing anything I want then run across a dozen in a few weeks. Saw a lot more of them the past few weeks I'd like to have come home with..

Boolit Grand Master
    Everything one needs to know about shooting, except how to handle recoil, can be learned with a .22 using inexpensive ammunition.
    Don Verna

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    It's binges like that that end up costing me dearly .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

That Mossberg 146B-A sounds like a dandy. Did it have the T-type bolt handle?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by oldhenry View Post
    That Mossberg 146B-A sounds like a dandy. Did it have the T-type bolt handle?
    This one did not but I have it on a 146B. They are surprisingly accurate rifles considering the cost and age of them.

T-Handle bolt on the 146B:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails xIMG_7462.jpg  

If I remember correctly the Mossberg ads for that era 146 touted that it would hold 30 .22 shorts. I always wanted one. Their sight system was something else.