Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersReloading EverythingPBcastco
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scope Height. Help needed

Boolit Grand Master
    Have used the Burris off-set ring insert system with good success. They are adjustable to suit your needs and are made for just this type of condition. I try never to use "high" rings because of the increased distance between the line of sight center of the scope and the true axis of the bore. The closer those two parallel lines are, the better. It also creates a problem with the cheek weld / stock weld needed for good shooting.

Boolit Bub
    no flaming please, can you switch the mounts on the rifle?

Boolit Master
    When dealing with this kind of problem on some rifles often the receiver & barrel combination are not aligned with each other. Shooting too high is kind of typical for a 700 Rem but you have not said how far off it is.

It is probably shooting too high because the rear of the receiver bridge is too high or the back end of the receiver bent upward during heat treat. I have a 25-06 that is off about 18" at 100 yards. It takes all of the adjustment on a Leupold 2X7 to get it sighted in. A Leupold 3X9 will not sight in due to a lack of adjustment.
    I once had a Savage 110 that shot way low. You could see the bore was off center at the muzzle.

Burris sells a little kit with a selection of offset bushings for the Posalign rings. You correct both vertical errors the same way (shooting too high or too low) except you just change the direction of the offset.

Raising the back of the scope makes the rifle shoot higher.
    Lowering the front of the scope makes the rifle shoot higher.

Raising the front of the scope makes the rifle shoot lower.
    Lowering the back of the scope makes the rifle shoot lower.

The Burris offset bushings can be used to correct lateral (right to left) errors by placing the split vertically in the rings.

If you have both vertical and horizontal error the bushing split will be tilted.
    Horizontal error can also be corrected with the rear clamp screws on Redfield turn in type bases.

I much prefer to use the Posalign rings by Burris.
    Long before the Posalign came out shims were used under one end of the base or the other because that is all most people had to fix the problem.
    I fixed one in about 1972 by milling .008 off the rear end of a Redfield base but it takes a special end mill with a radius ground to match the receiver. Those rings were not very accurately made and produced a slope in the scope when only the front ring was clamped. So I turned it so the slope matched the milled scope base and the scope was not under stress because it was not bent.

Assuming both rings are perfect can be a mistake. There will probably be small errors in the ring manufacturing of the standard rings. Posalign rings avoid those issues too.

Quote Originally Posted by Themoose View Post
    For clarification, I am unable to adjust the elevation low enough to zero it, or the rifle shoots to high
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Take the scope off the bases. Lay a straight edge (long enough to extend back over the rear base) across the front weaver base holding it flat along the top edge of one side. If the rear base isn't as high as the front base (it probably won't be from the problem you describe) then shim the rear base to the same level height as the front base. That should cure the problem.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    THANKS TO All THAT RESPONDED.
    MY PROBLEM HAS BEEN RESOLVED.
    As mentioned earlier, I tried to optically center each scope and bore sight them @ about 80 yds. No issue with the Weaver, but same issue with Konus. Yesterday we had calm before the high winds came thru and I went to the range. I bore sighted @ 25 yds then fired and zero'd @ 25yds. Then zero'd @100 yds and shot groups @ 205 and 320 yds.. seems with plenty of adjustment left...again,
    Thanks to all who assisted. I will review suggestions when and if I try to mount Konus on another rifle.
    Kindest regards,
    TheMoose
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12