WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone heard of Al Biesen?

Boolit Master

Anyone heard of Al Biesen?

A custom rifle my dad gave me for Christmas has a beautiful wood stock. I asked him where he got the stock and he said it was done by a guy named Al Biesen in the Spokane, WA area years ago. He said most of his custom hunting rifles were done by him. From what I can see, he did some very fine work.

Attachment 257347
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master

http://biesen.com/

http://biesen.com/Al.html

https://www.bing.com/search?q=Al+Bie...ANCMS9&PC=DCTE

Never owned one but looked at a couple. They were first rate. Talked to him once in the mid 70's.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

And look in Jack O'Connors, Book of the Rifle

Biesen was a top hand !!
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

That must be a sweet rifle. That guy made rifles that people drool over.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I've seen quite a few of his rifles. He was friends with Monte Kennedy and Les Bauska.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    The original older Al Biesen was a premier stock maker in the 1950s and 1960s.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    The original older Al Biesen was a premier stock maker in the 1950s and 1960s.
    He was doing work well into the 2000's. He died at 98 in 2016.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Jack O'connor was Biesen's loudest cheer leader for many years. When O'Connor died in 1978 I quit seeing Biesen's name in print.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    He was doing work well into the 2000's. He died at 98 in 2016.
    EDG

That's a beautiful rifle!! What caliber? I remember back when your Dad had the Husky shop, he had several of his rifles on display.I would drool over those rifles every time I went in there. JW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho Mule View Post
    That's a beautiful rifle!! What caliber? I remember back when your Dad had the Husky shop, he had several of his rifles on display.I would drool over those rifles every time I went in there. JW
    .30-06 Ackley Improved. He also gave me a composite stock for it that I re-coated and test fit on the rifle. I will need to get the dremel tool out to make sure it fits perfectly.

I plan on using the barrel and action in the composite stock for hunting as such that a genuine Al Biesen stock of that caliber is worth quite a bit. Some have put it in the value of $3k to $5k. I would hate myself if I dropped it in the woods and damaged it.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    .30-06 Ackley Improved. He also gave me a composite stock for it that I re-coated and test fit on the rifle. I will need to get the dremel tool out to make sure it fits perfectly.

I plan on using the barrel and action in the composite stock for hunting as such that a genuine Al Biesen stock of that caliber is worth quite a bit. Some have put it in the value of $3k to $5k. I would hate myself if I dropped it in the woods and damaged it.
    That will be fun to hunt with. Plenty good for anything around here. Good decision to go with the composite stock as well, a guy might cry if he scratched that Biesen stock. JW