Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Can felons use air rifles for deer hunting in WI?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Can felons use air rifles for deer hunting in WI?

I have someone that I’ve known for years that has not been able to deer hunt because he was a convicted felon 25 years ago. Very good guy, I would trust him with the key to my house. The only bad part is he cannot hunt with a rifle any more legally. He can go crossbow hunting or bow hunting for deer but no rifles. I just did some research on the Internet and it sounds like muzzleloaders cannot be possessed because they use gun powder. But..... What about an air rifle??? I mentioned to him the sam yang big bore or Texan. I think he’s going to contact an attorney to check the legality of it. The poor guy is paid his dues and he’s a good family man and a hard worker. This Person worked for me about 10 years ago and was the hardest best worker I’ve ever had. Always came in early and stayed late, never missed work or complained. One of the Hardest, reliable workers I ever had. I’d like to see him get back out and deer hunt because it used to be his passion and he gave it up by being dumb one day. Anyone know the legality of owning/possessing/hunting with air rifles for felons?

I found this...

https://www.attorneymikerudolph.com/...n-firearm.html

According to the federal government air rifles are not firearms. They can even be sold with a suppressor (fixed) with no paperwork or tax stamp.

However, I would call your local LEO and game warden to verify and find out exactly what is and what is not legal for large game in your area.

Big bore air rifle hunting is sweeping the country and catching on in many places.

I do wish there was a better system in place for "earning" those rights back after you have served your time.
    There should be something "standardized" across the country so if your willing to toe the line, do the work you can earn them back.

Boolit Master
    What GhostHawk said. Contact the DNR.
    Last edited by NyFirefighter357; 02-22-2020 at 11:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    He could petition for restoration of his rights. As long as he’s calling the attorney it’s worth asking.

Boolit Buddy
    Well said GhostHawk.

Call the lawyer and get the record "expunged". Here in Jersey air rifles fall under the same rules as firearms.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Baron View Post
    Call the lawyer and get the record "expunged". Here in Jersey air rifles fall under the same rules as firearms.
    I second this.

Boolit Master

I would also double check on the muzzle loader thing. I know at least 2 felons around here that hunt muzzle loader. I believe that is also why North American Arms has a black powder version of their mini revolvers.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master
    I also thank you can hunt in Missouri with a black powder if your a felon. I know a guy that got 3 DWI’s and it was a felony so he can’t own guns only black powder. He also he said he can’t have reloading components and a press. I have never heard of that before. His dad has a huge RCBS collection of reloading gear. I thought I had to much untill I seen his setup. He dosent reload any more but said he can’t give it to his son is that true? But he lives in Ohio but is moving to Missouri.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm pretty sure in VT you can hunt with a muzzle loader if your a felon. With the inlines now it would not be much if any deterrent.

He also he said he can’t have reloading components and a press.

First time I've heard that one.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    In Fla. felons can be charged with every cartage they possess ; )
    H/D

Boolit Grand Master

Per Federal law felons can own muzzleloading rifles and pre-1899 cartridge firearms. That is a large part of why Johnny Cash was into 1873 Colts in a big way. Individual States may have additional restrictions and definitions as to what a felon can own or use. That is why you can purchase and ship any firearm made before 1899 with an FFL transfer.

https://www.gunlawsbystate.com/felons-and-firearms/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antique_firearms
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-23-2020 at 03:57 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The person I talk to was aware that Wisconsin was trying to pass a bill a few years back for felons to legally own muzzleloaders older than 1900 but I don’t think it ever got passed.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 02-23-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Boolit Master

anyone watch 'life below zero' ?

chip hailstone had to hunt a whole season with muzzle loading shotguns and rifles due to a conviction.

then he got his firearms rights restored.

as stated above, unless a state prohibits, federal law says muzzle loaders are NOT firearms and says air rifles, even high pressure, are NOT firearms.

good luck!
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

If he does not want to cancelled carry, I would go before the board and get the restoration of rights. If you get that you can purchase hand guns. At least in Michigan you can. This is what I did and I did not need a lawyer to do this. I don't plan on trying to carry so it is not worth it to get my record expunged.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Pine Baron View Post
    Convictions cannot be expunged. An arrest that doesn't end in a conviction can sometimes be expunged but convictions can never be expunged.

Let's say you are arrested and ultimately found not guilty. There are some situations in which the record of that arrest can be expunged (removed from your record) but convictions cannot be removed by an order to expunge the record.

There are some other routes to sometimes restore the rights of a person convicted of crimes.
    And remember, in the U.S.A. you are subject to the authority of the state and the federal government. There are two sovereignties involved - State & Federal.

Banned
    I can't comment on Wisconsin but Virginia defines a Firearm as any device designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material.

So in Virginia an air rifle is not a firearm but a muzzleloader is.

No air rifles for felons in Idaho according to a felon friend of mine. (second hand information) Gp