Titan ReloadingWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Winchester Primers

Boolit Master
    Years back always used Remington primers. Bought some rem-umc 9mm ammo to shoot in my Beretta 92fs. Happened to pick up an empty and had a neat little hole in it. In fact just about every one had a hole. Cost me a new firing pin and spring. Been using Win LR,SR,LP,and SR for close to 20 years no problems. Only other brand is CCI LRM magnum with IMR 4350 and 165 gr Nosler Ballictic tips pr 168 gr SMK's. Frank

Boolit Master
    There was a problem with some lots of WLR a few (several?) years ago where some would rupture around the edge. I had three out of the same 100 pack rupture (in two rifles), but I had fired a couple or three hundred out of the same carton with no problem; it seemed random within certain lots. When they ruptured they etched the rifle bolt face. I switched to CCI 200s

Winchester may have a list of the problem lots. I wouldn't buy WLR primers on the secondary market, but the bad ones have surely worked their way out of the supply chain at larger retailers and other dealers who get their primers through established wholesalers.
    Last edited by higgins; 02-24-2020 at 01:32 AM.

Thanks for the replies, I bought these yesterday . I dont know but I'm suspecting they were purchased durning one of the shortages for resale at a higher price and no buyer to be found . I checked online and they dont match any suspect lot numbers that were listed .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Grand Master
    I have loaded upwards of 20,000 of them with ZERO malfunctions/misfires or problems. I use then in preference to all others, and strive to keep plenty on hand.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    cci is my no1 Winchester no2.in my experience they are a little hotter as my loads shoot a little higher with same load.

I use WLR and WLRM almost exclusively. I have some Rem pistol primers and Fed Rifle as well...but they are leftovers from the Obummer shortage.

Never had a FTF with the Winchesters in the past 40+ years.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I think he's referring to the OP's signature (scripture verse).

It's free speech....

redhawk

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    I think he's referring to the OP's signature (scripture verse).

It's free speech....

redhawk
    Gotcha!

I like the scriptures in the signature line personally.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    Gotcha!

Me too.

redhawk

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I keep my eye out for sales on he internet and buy ahead of time, if I find a good deal. I’ve gotten some really old ones I wondered about, but all have worked well.

Boolit Master
    Gotcha!

I'll roll up here and join you I like it to.

Thanks

Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Master

Guess some are offended by the scripture , funny seen nothing in the sites terms of service saying no scripture . Guess the bible does not offend me , if I do not like a signature line I can skip it , anyway I use winchester primers , but have had one go off in a rcbs hand primer while priming brass , and had one lpp go off when it was wedged back into ejector on a 1911 and I was pulling hard on the slide to clear it , not jerking just pulling . Still use winchester still buy when on sale , and nowadays its mostly buy what I can save some on and get as much as I can.

Boolit Master
    I have noticed with my Winchester Large rifle primers in a 22-250 that they seemed to flatten easier than Federal 210’s and Remington 9 1/2’s

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 03-04-2020 at 08:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    Never used them before, loaded some Winchester small pistol primers yesterday, I'm sure they will work fine. (Matthew 11:6)

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

I couldnt pass on 2 bricks for 34 $ , I've used 2 bricks of WSP so far one older white box and newer blue one and no issues in a T/C , EC9s and GP100

Banned
    Winchester primers are all I have on my shelves. Sure, I've tried other primers but I keep going back to them. They always go bang and I have rounds I loaded 40 years ago that still shoot fine.

I took 2ND place at our 800 yard match using them. Never had one not go bang.

I read posts all the time over several reloading forums about primers going off when priming brass. Am I just the luckiest guy in the world or is it common to never have experienced this?

Oh and yes, I have had a LOT of crushed, sideways, upside down primers in my time but never had one go off (knock on wood).

I read posts all the time over several reloading forums about primers going off when priming brass. Am I just the luckiest guy in the world or is it common to never have experienced this?

Oh and yes, I have had a LOT of crushed, sideways, upside down primers in my time but never had one go off (knock on wood).
    I know what you mean , I've never had one go off in the press . I'm not sure why it didn't , but it every chance to.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast