Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Lee Precision RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Preferences for pistol hunting

Boolit Grand Master
    TCLouis; If I'm not using a 180 jacketed soft point, I'm using a 180 mihec (can't remember the group buy). It was one of those brass molds with he various inserts to create hollow points. I blank it out and use a meplat.

I've never shot a bear but have shot quite a few deer. I have never found it necessary to go to extremes with bullet weight or load. The only handgun I have that I use JHPs at full annum power is a Ruger SBH. My 44sps, 45Colts are loaded with conventional cast bullet at near factory duplication. I pour 50:50 lead/ WW with 20:1 by weight of Tin. Furthest shot about 60yds but most half that. Never lost one yet.

Boolit Master
    I'm with Derek. My experiences with any 245 gr bullet from my SBH has been little hole in--little hole out; track for a quarter mile. The lighter and softer JHP bullets make a big hole out, and the deer is less than 50 yards from where it was shot.

I've used cast HP's on two deer; the first was a 5 1/2" Uberti Bisley in 45 Colt with a 265 gr. cast SWCHP, Bhn 9.5, running a smidge under 1050 fps, range 48 yds., bang and he dropped where he stood.

The next one was another buck shot with a 7 1/2" Uberti Flat Top .44 Special loaded with a cast gas checked 244 gr. SWCHP from a 429244 copy mold running 1105 fps MV. Range was 38 yds. and it was another band-flop.

Even with those successes, I probably won't use HP's again. I prefer the assured penetration from a cast SWC. I've only recovered one, and it was from an RCBS 44-250 KT mold. It weighed 258 grs. and struck a buck at around 1050 fps near the last rib on the left side and angled forward stopping under the skin at the juncture of the right shoulder and his neck. This is my favorite .44 caliber hunting bullet.

This year I used a 4 3/4" Uberti Frisco in 45 Colt loaded with a 288 gr. SWC cast from the popular 45-270 SAA mold.

MV was just under 1,000 fps and I hit the buck at 41 yds. just behind his left shoulder. He ran maybe 25 yds. and was dead when I got to him. Of course the bullet sailed right through him, but internal damage was pretty substantial considering a non-expanding bullet.

Entrance wound-

Hole through the lungs-

I've shot a smattering of other deer and hogs, most all with 255-258 gr. cast SWC's either from a 429421 type mold or the RCBS 44-250 KT, all running around 950 fps. Ranges were from 12 to almost 50 yds. Bang, they trot of 25 yds. or so and die.

Shoot heavy bullets at warp speed if you wish, but I don't find that necessary.

Hope this helps.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12