Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

Thread: 6x47 Remington to 6x47 Lapua?

6x47 Remington to 6mm BR...

Anyone know if a 6x47 Remington can be rechambered to a 6mm BR? And, if not rechamber, set back the barrel and rechamber my 40XB. I think the original chamber is cut so deep, I can see runout with my naked eye...
    Last edited by gnostic; 02-22-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Boolit Master

Yes, rechamber (and barrel set back) , change out the bolt, and adjust the feed platform.

Which 40X B, or BR, or Rangemaster, or ?
    Wood stock?

I have two 6x47 Rem 40XBR with wood stocks and short barrels,
    They sure do shoot well.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...o-6br.3749665/

https://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html

Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 02-22-2020 at 04:48 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    Yes, rechamber (and barrel set back) , change out the bolt, and adjust the feed platform.

Wood stock?

They sure do shoot well.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...o-6br.3749665/

https://www.6mmbr.com/6mmbr.html

Mike
    The problem I'm seeing is, the 6mm BR. normally shoots a 100 grain bullet where the 6X47 shoots a 70 grain bullet. I'm going to try a 100 grain bullet in my 6X47 case to see if the twist is fast enough...

Wood stock?

They sure do shoot well.

Yes, wood stock, single shot and the barrel looks to be 24''. How do I tell which model?

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    The problem I'm seeing is, the 6mm BR. normally shoots a 100 grain bullet where the 6X47 shoots a 70 grain bullet. I'm going to try a 100 grain bullet in my 6X47 case to see if the twist is fast enough...
    Originally the 6mm Remington BR was designed a a benchrest cartridge specifically for 60 grain bullets. Later people learned the it's long range potential and started using the 100 to 117 grain bullets for both 600 and 1,000 yard. Today the Dasher is more common for 1,000 yard. If your rechamber be sure to select a throat that matches your bullets. As what your twist will stabilize I don't have a clue. I have done a bunch of 6mm BR's and Dashers however they have been all 8 twist.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I'm in the process of determining what the rate of twist is with this rifle, I think it's 1-14. If it will stabilize the 85-100 grain bullet, my runout problem might be solved. I've not really put a lot of effort into making this rifle shoot well, so I'll give it another try. I'd prefer not disturbing a rifle this age.

Boolit Master

The side of the action will say 40xbbr is it is so and the stock forend will be FLAT

What will be the purpose of a 6BR with 10 grain bullet and a 1 in 14 twist?

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

On a side note the 6mm Remington/244 failed since the 12 twist would not stabilize the 100 grain bullet like the 243 Win. Your 14 twist in a lower velocity cartridge probably will be less successful.

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Kno...Remington.html
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    The side of the action will say 40xbbr is it is so and the stock forend will be FLAT

What will be the purpose of a 6BR with 10 grain bullet and a 1 in 14 twist?

Mike
    I just shoot paper, hopefully small groups... The action says, 40-X, I have 2, the other is a 6.5 magnum with a magazine...

I could be wrong and often am, but I believe the 40XB-BR was as described above with 20" barrel and solid bottom single shot action. The 40X had more variations with 26" barrel, magazine, stripper clip slot, sight bases, etc. BUT what I know for sure is the best groups I have ever shot were with the 6mm Dasher and 6x47 in that order.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

gnostic, PM sent to you

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.accurateshooter.com/tech...qAiAU0YuT2UZmk

What Barrel Twist Should I Use?
    The most versatile barrel twist rate is 1:8″. This will shoot everything from 62gr FB bullets to 107 VLDs with great accuracy. If you shoot mostly at 100-200 yards, a 1:14 twist will deliver 60-70gr match bullets with unrivaled accuracy. Take-off 1:14 6PPC barrels rechambered to 6BR work great at low cost. For shooting out to 600 yards, in calm conditions, you may get best accuracy with custom 75-85gr FB bullets. These work best in a 1:12 twist tube. A 12-twist is perfect for varminting with the 75-grain V-max and the Berger 80gr MEF. Our initial testing shows the 1:10 twist to be very effective with the new low-drag 85-88gr FB bullets, and 90gr boat-tails. The 1:10 twist is a great choice for varminting and Egg Shoots because you can run the 87gr Hornady V-Max and shoot Lapua’s very accurate 90gr factory-loaded ammo. If you need a barrel to shoot both light and heavy bullets, the best choice is still a 1:8. For the 115gr DTAC bullet, 1:8 will stabilize in most conditions, but 1:7 is a better bet.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Your Rem 40X in 6X47 has a 14" twist and it will not stabilize bullet longer than the 70 & 75 grain varmit and match bullets.

I have a Rem 40X-BR in 6X47 and once bought some winchester 85 grain match bullets. These were very long pointy HP bullets for the 85 gr weight. I shot 5 at 100 yards and never even hit the paper.

You are better off if you learn to shoot your 6X47 Rem with the original chamber.
    I have no idea what your run out is but I would be surprised if the Rem custom shop let a 40X out with a defective barrel.

I have a fair collection of press and hand loading tools in 6X47. I load mine with hand dies
    The neck dies are Wilson and Neil Jones hand dies. The seaters are Wilson and unknown shop made tools.
    Good groups run down around .375 or so on a good day with Nosler 70 grn Ballistic Tips.
    Last edited by EDG; 02-23-2020 at 02:39 PM.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    Your Rem 40X in 6X47 has a 14" twist and it will not stabilize bullet longer than the 70 & 75 grain varmit and match bullets.

I have a Rem 40X-BR in 6X47 and once bought some winchester 85 grain match bullets. These were very long pointy HP bullets for the 85 gr weight. I shot 5 at 100 yards and never even hit the paper.

You are better off if you learn to shoot your 6X47 Rem with the original chamber.
    I have no idea what your run out is but I would be surprised if the Rem custom shop let a 40X out with a defective barrel.
    The problem I'm seeing is, not enough of the bullet base is in the case neck, when the bullet is seated touching the lands. The runout is a result of loading, not the chamber cut in the rifle...

Boolit Master
    But how does it shoot?

I don't even check the run out of my loads. I depend on the precision of the Wilson hand die seater to control the run out.
    Get rid of the boat tail bullets with the long skinny points.
    The 75 grain Sierra and 75 grain Speer flat based bullets will leave more bullet in the neck when touching the lands.

Run out can also be caused by FL dies that squeeze the neck down too far.
    My bushing neck die squeezes the neck down to give .0015 grip on the bullet using neck turned cases.

You don't have to touch the lands either. If the bullet is too shallow touching the lands just seat it one caliber deep and let it jump to the lands. Sometimes they shoot better with a little jump.

Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    The problem I'm seeing is, not enough of the bullet base is in the case neck, when the bullet is seated touching the lands. The runout is a result of loading, not the chamber cut in the rifle...
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

Just touching the lands is rarely the most accurate unless you are soft seating. Heavy jamming the bullets can be very accurate. I have one rifle that has a unreal high round count that still holds 3/8 MOA at 300 yards. As to the bullet jump distance we we leave it at it is a lot.

Good read here.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/c...verall_length/

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/thr...ating.3755858/
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 02-23-2020 at 04:40 PM.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer