Titan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2Repackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: Dan Wesson Guardian-Discontinued

Boolit Master

Dan Wesson Guardian-Discontinued

I have been wanting a Dan Wesson Guardian for quite awhile now. I guess I put it off too long and they have discontinued it. I have gone to GunBroker and most of what I find is .38 Super. Very few .45 ACP and those that are available are expensive compared to the .38's.

Looking for some advice from those who have experience with .38 Super. I have several .45 ACP handguns including 4 that are 1911's but all steel. A little heavy for carry.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Man
    It is still in their catalog for 2020. I had a .38 Super in the Guardian and it was a great gun

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/guardian-2/
    Last edited by pacecars; 02-23-2020 at 10:04 AM.

Boolit Master

I went back and reread my information. This link takes you to further information. I jumped to a conclusion.

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/guardian/
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Buddy

Have you looked at the ECP?

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/ecp/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    Have you looked at the ECP?

https://danwessonfirearms.com/product/ecp/
    I have now! That is a very attractive hand gun. I have one 1911 that has a bushingless barrel but it is Officer style and all steel. Easy to shoot but heavy to carry. A little more cost that the Guardian but not enough to matter for a long term purchase. Thanks for the heads up.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Man
    Had the ECP too in .45 ACP and it was very accurate. I decided to give the 9mm one more try and went with a Wilson Combat EDC-X9. It is lighter and holds 15 shots and is extremely reliable and very accurate

Banned
    Just tossing out some alternatives here:
    Kimber makes an alloy frame, commander length 1911 in 45 ACP called the Pro CDP.
    Ruger has a couple of lightweight, Commander length 1911 style pistols.

I've had good experience with Kimber.

If I was in the market for a new 1911 style pistol chambered in 45ACP, I would give the Ruger SR1911 series pistols a very close look. I think Ruger offers a lot of value in that line of pistols.

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the information. Right now I'm evaluating the Dan Wesson ECP and less costly 1911's.

One question: Are all 1911's able to use just about any quality 1911 magazines. Having 3 Para Ordinance 1911's and one Kimber full size 1911, extra magazines are all double stack for the Para's. I haven't really tried other magazines in the Kimber. The Dan Wesson specs 8 round mags where most other Commander size 1911 say 7+1.
    John
    W.TN

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    ... One question: Are all 1911's able to use just about any quality 1911 magazines. ...
    yes, if both gun and mag are to true 1911 spex.

Boolit Grand Master

IMHO, Dan Wesson is the pinnacle for a production non specialty 1911. There are guardians out there. Be patient.
    Last edited by osteodoc08; 02-25-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Of no relation to the thread whatsoever, but a comment on Dan Wesson 1911s. I have a Valor Bobtail and consider it the finest pistol I own. Wait for the Guardian if that is what you want. Mine is a Grail gun.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    If you have not shot a Commander in .38 Super yet, you are missing something special... I've been carrying a Colt Commander in .38 Super daily since 1980. A couple of months ago I got deal on a DW Guardian LNIB condition...it was so impressive I ended up buying a second one, NIB, from the same seller who was selling off some guns to build a house.

The recoil impulse and shootability of the .38 Super over the .45 is something one has to experience to appreciate. I like .45 in steel frame guns but don't care for them at all in aluminum...

Bob

Boolit Master

I'm thinking very favorably about the Dan Wesson ECP. I understand what RJM52 is saying. All 1911's I have shot have been steel frame. I don't notice recoil in these guns. I also don't notice recoil in my Glock 21. The grip on the Glock is so large that there is a lot to hold on to.

If I get the ECP, I doubt that I will shoot it thousands of times. Probably only enough to figure out any eccentricities and become comfortable with it. Also, I reload a lot of .45 ACP and really don't want to add another handgun cartridge to deal with. I don't know if it is relevant but over penetration is a possible concern for me. The .45 has enough frontal area that that should not be a problem. Plus, the ECP is not available in 38 Super.

I guess on the plus side, there are, comparatively, a lot of Guardians available in 38 Super and consequently, slightly cheaper.

If I have made some erroneous assumptions in comparing .45ACP and .38 Super, please point them out. I haven't spent any money yet.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Master

I appreciate all the feedback on this subject. I have just placed an order for the Dan Wesson ECP. Significant expenditure(for me) but I've wanted a quality 1911 for sometime now. Maybe by the time I get it, it will have stopped raining for a couple of days so I can get to the range.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Man
    If you need a nice quality holster contact Paul at Warbird Gun Leather. Here is the one he made for mine. It is his IWB/OWB in leather with elephant trim

Boolit Master

Lots of pictures for sale but no real information. Cost?
    John
    W.TN