Inline FabricationReloading EverythingPBcastcoWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone fool with thermal imagers?

Banned

anyone fool with thermal imagers?

I just ordered one of these https://www.leupold.com/night-vision...o-tracker-2-hd I thought it would be handy for crop damage deer shooting. Lots of the fields we shoot in are surrounded by 4-5 foot tall elephant grass or swamp and ive done a few all nighters looking for deer that were less then 50 yards from the edge of the field. Aint cheap but if it save even one night of traipsing around in the swamp a year it would be worth it.
    Last edited by HATCH; 03-01-2020 at 11:04 AM. Reason: fixed link

Banned
    I was thinking about some type of thermal system for my back yard. Don't live far from the "10" which is a drug interstate. My east/west road is patrolled daily by Border Patrol with sirens going off on a daily basis. Your link didn't work for me.

https://www.leupold.com/search?q=tracker

This it?
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 02-22-2020 at 07:55 AM.

Banned

do a search for leupold tracker 2 hd.

Vendor Sponsor

I have the orignal Leupold Tracker. It has helped me find several deer in the evening for other hunters.
    Great for quick scanning of a field up to 100 to 150 yds for pigs and deer.
    Lets you know there is something you need to check out with your better higher quality NV or Thermal equiped shootin iron

Stay away from Flir they just dropped all comsumer Thermal.
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Banned

thought about the flir. Lots of guys like them but I just have had such good luck with service from leupold through the year that I could bring myself to spend that much with a company that I know nothing about.

Banned

anyone fool with thermal imagers?

$968 MSRP...with just a 2-year warranty?
    No thanks.

Boolit Buddy
    ATN makes Binox which is IR based and a full line of IR and Thermal sights up to the $6,000+ range.
    Pulsar and FLIR do as well.

Thermal sights are pretty impressive. Watch the vids
    So many toys........so little time.

Banned

got it for 650 shipped to my door. Still not cheap though. But I fooled with it last night and it does work. I could pick my dog up as clear as a bell at a 100 yards and the neighbors house lit right up. You can even see the studs and rafters in the house sitting in the living room.
    Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    $968 MSRP...with just a 2-year warranty?
    No thanks.

Banned
    Better price but...
    That’s still as much as a new rifle to me.
    Let me know if you find any bigfoot critters with that thing, that’ll be a definite plus!

IIRC FLIR got out due to export restrictions and liability. I just use my old Sony camcorder with the IR filter disabled.
    Whatever!

Banned

ive got 37 rifles and at least that many handguns. I think ill get more use out of this then I would another new rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    Better price but...
    That’s still as much as a new rifle to me.
    Let me know if you find any bigfoot critters with that thing, that’ll be a definite plus!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    ive got 37 rifles and at least that many handguns. I think ill get more use out of this then I would another new rifle.
    and your address is?

Winelover

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    and your address is?

Winelover
    right in my avatar! Might get a case of lead poisoning though

Boolit Buddy
    I'm looking into one of these :Night vision, not thermal... https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight4k-pr...5217_f19814e7d
    Last edited by unclemikeinct; 02-29-2020 at 11:43 PM.

Banned

ive heard some positive reviews on them. Many blown away buy performance vs cost. But in MI you cant hunt after dark so I really wouldn't have a use for one.
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemikeinct View Post
    I'm looking into one of these :Night vision, not thermal... https://www.atncorp.com/x-sight4k-pr...5217_f19814e7d

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by unclemikeinct View Post
    Check out the ATN owners forum. ATN Smart HD Owners. Tons of info. Great help site.
    You might want to consider a lower base magnification. They pixilate as
    you zoom. Plus your field of view for closer shots will be narrow starting at 4. Nothing like glass optics.

It can be a huge learning curve.

I have the original X Sight and Thor thermal for years. It’s a great workhorse if you stay away from all the
    bells and whistles in my opinion.
    Last edited by WBH; 03-01-2020 at 11:53 AM.
    So many toys........so little time.

Boolit Buddy
    Just bought ATN4 thermal scope, still in the learning on it. You have to realize that it has a built in computer. So far works great on picking up anything warm out to 200+ yards, dont have anything further then that around here do to living in the woods. Have a ATN night vision also, you need some light for that, moon light is good or you have to have a IR light; range is limited to the range of the IR light. ATN has a good vidio on their web site about the thermal scopes. I got the cheaper one with the bells and whistles, ie. records shots,blue tooth etc. cost is $$$$.$$'s but it looks like it is worth it. Planing on a night pig hunt in the south soon will keep informed.

Banned

this thing seems to work great. It picks up my dog 300 yards away perfectly. But its winter here and I don't know if it will work as well when its 80 degrees outside. Its also great at showing heat loss out of your house. I guess if it finds one deer that ran off quicker then I would have found it on my own its worth it to me. You know "guy with the most toys when he dies wins" If you get one be sure to get the newest version the hd. It has a filter that lets you dial down the sensitivity when an animal is near trees ect that also are warmer then the ground. I think this thing would have been considered a mistake to me without that feature.

Boolit Mold
    Hahaha. I am! I have bought thermal imaging too, but haven't tried it yet. I have bought it here https://www.agmglobalvision.com/thermal-imaging There is also a good choice. You can check something if you want. So, are you a hunter? Do you have any rifles? What is your favorite?

Boolit Buddy
    ATN Thor owner here. Owned it for three years now. Digital zoom just makes the pixels bigger so image gets splotchier. Mine is 1.5 x 5X but the most useful is 3 or less. I consider the maximun useful distance to be about 150 yds for two reasons; pixelation at high zoom levels and difficulty in zeroing at 100 yds and beyond. Zeroing low at 25 yds does not equate to a good zero at 100 yds. I tried that and missed numerous hogs at that distance. Painted a cardboard IPSC target black and on a sunny day, I had a distinct thermal image at 100 yds. With that I learned my previous zero was 10 inches high and 8 inches right.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast