RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationRepackbox
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: No sizing

Boolit Buddy

No sizing

I've always sized and trimmed new brass because way back when I use to get brass that wasn't consitant lengths. I opened a bag of 32 win spec brass that seemed to be a consistent length, chambered in my shooter and the neck seemed correct. Anyone load new brass without sizing?

Boolit Buddy
    No, case mouths must be chamfered lightly & then I size even new brass, Then I check again to see if I have any over-length cases. unclemikeinct

Boolit Grand Master

Nope, I run it through the sizer to insure that none of the cases are bent or damaged in shipping.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I have heard people doing that, but I will never load without sizing.

Boolit Master
    even if its fine and safe and so forth your just adding a variable since your not using it like that again next time as it will be sized

I have to disagree. You are starting with the same brass as factory loads. I do inspect each one and chamfer the inside of the necks. Then I prime them, charge with powder, seat the bullet or boolit and go shoot. Never had a problem since 1972. Dented necks get straightened a bit with needle nose pliers and seating the bullet does the rest.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I run new stuff (lever guns - rimmed cases) through a neck sizer to sort out the dinged stuff - from there on in NO SIZING unless cases wont chamber easily and then only enough sizing to get it to chamber - I have made and cobbled together dies that will only move the brass a touch where it needs moved - I dont even neck size most of what I shoot these days and same again with dies - make or find something that just kisses it back where it chambers sweet.
    Am working on the theory the more we work the brass the quicker we kill it - replacement downunder is double or triple US prices and about ten times as much aggravation in sourcing it
    Full length size dies in my cave are the least used gear I have
    I ran a 22/250 into the ground (near 5000 rounds) as a semi pro shooter back in the days and never used - never owned, a full length size die (winchester model 70 - 1970's model, that gun had a nice, neat spec, chamber).
    So somebody has to be different - dont size brass unless it is necessary - it only is necessary when it wont function properly without doing it - otherwise is a waste of time, energy, and good expensive brass.

I have a 348 Browning - some full length resizing is necessary for proper function in that one - but again just some and I test the fired brass in the gun as I adjust the die till it chambers nice then I stop.

Boolit Buddy
    well, I'd bell the mouth, prime and load. After, I'd check brass length and neck size for next load. My current brass, about 70 all seem to be working on separation. I'm shooting cast gc with BL-C2. Anyway, I think I'll skip the sizing. Thanks for everyone's input.

Banned

I campher inside and outside the neck.......but I've never resized a new case in 50 years of handloading!

Boolit Grand Master
    I do not use new brass since my "rationalization" of calibers, but when I did, I resized it.

May not be necessary but it does not take long.
    Don Verna