MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marlin 44mag throat slugged

Boolit Master

Marlin 44mag throat slugged

In my quest for accuracy previously i slugged the muzzle end and got .4315 so i lapped my sizer to .4325 and used that, i was getting 4 or 5 moa but i was using irons so i was happy didnt think it was the guns fault. Then recently i put my best leupold on it with good rings tightened everything properly ect. And still shot same size goups. So i thought id measure my throat because everyone says size for the throat for cast not the grove dia. So i did a pound cast in the throat area and uh, i dont have one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20200221_164804.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	257292
    The groves of the rifling at the begining of the bore measure .4325 then it just angles up to the chamber size in one go. So what should i do just up the sizer to .433 or .4335 ? Why does it not have a throat

Boolit Master

Marlin 44 magnum barrels have many short comings.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Maybe you want to pick up the NOE push through die body and a .433" and .434" sized bushings to try instead of keep lapping out your sizer.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    If you have your Marlin barrel re-throated to have a cylindrical ball seat of .432" diameter ahead of the case mouth for a distance of about 0.060-0.080," then reduce the angle of the origin of rifling to a six degree included angle, you will easily cut your group size in half.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I size my Marlin 44mag boolits to .431 from .430 and my groups close up some. Better then it was. My groups are about less then 2" at 50 yards.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq1_8qxHj2c&t=103s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm4JmLFdmAI
    I found boolit diameter makes ALL the difference. Marlins have large throats as it is. Keep trying bigger until groups shrink.
    My Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .357 Mag likes a .361" boolit. Check it out.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waco View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dq1_8qxHj2c&t=103s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm4JmLFdmAI
    I found boolit diameter makes ALL the difference. Marlins have large throats as it is. Keep trying bigger until groups shrink.
    My Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .357 Mag likes a .361" boolit. Check it out.
    Uh , did you look at his cast in post 1

Vendor Sponsor

If you can take the bolt out of it and gain a straight shot at the barrel you could rent a piloted reamer from 4D Rentals and throat it yourself. Manson reamers generally have a 1.5 degree leade on the rifling so you have a 3 degree included angle and this works great. I would suggest a longer freebore, up to .200" before the leade ins start, this allows the boolit to exit the case mouth and stabilize in the throat, the freebore holds it square in the bore and concentric to the bore, you can't hurt a pistol caliber barrel with the longer throat, groups will shrink accordingly IF you can size to the throat.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    Uh , did you look at his cast in post 1
    Yup. No throat Marlins are nothing new. Size as big that can still chamber and odds are you'll find the best accuracy... easy...
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master

Marlin isn't the only one. My Rossi is the same way. This will save a great deal of frustration: https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...tyle-crimp-die it's a collet crimp die. I had to get an NOE mold and size my boolit to .433 with a custom size die from buffalo https://www.buffaloarms.com/ I used a 45 acp seating die and my 44 reloading die to crimp till I got the collet crimp die. Why sammi specs are different for rifles blows my mind.

Boolit Master
    i don't wanna ream myself a throat or whatever, that's more than im comfortable with. and don't have gunsmith around or money for them, so the gun is staying how it is. for sizing i can up the size of my push through just fine, i already upped it twice so i have no problem doing it again. but what exactly is a collet crimp die? if i recall it puts more of a bottleneck looking crimp on, when i adjust crimp down on my regular die it makes a bottleneck look. how is it different or better? maybe i should try heavy crimping cause i been doing light crimp since i thought it didn't really need it since its not a revolver. guess ill try .433 with heavy crimp next test

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    i don't wanna ream myself a throat or whatever, that's more than im comfortable with. and don't have gunsmith around or money for them, so the gun is staying how it is. for sizing i can up the size of my push through just fine, i already upped it twice so i have no problem doing it again. but what exactly is a collet crimp die? if i recall it puts more of a bottleneck looking crimp on, when i adjust crimp down on my regular die it makes a bottleneck look. how is it different or better? maybe i should try heavy crimping cause i been doing light crimp since i thought it didn't really need it since its not a revolver. guess ill try .433 with heavy crimp next test
    To each his own , but in a tubular magazine you have the spring and the weight of the other rounds trying to push the bullet back in the case under recoil and when it feeds all slam back on the round behind .So I like a good crimp in lever guns.

Boolit Buddy
    If your casting and your bullets drop over .433, itll be good.
    I dont think a heavy crimp would get you any where.
    Id like to be corrected, but as in t/c contender barrels. Use the largest bullet that will chamber, and start your accuracy trials from there.

Boolit Master
    my mold is .432 then I powder coat so I can atleast size to .433 and get smooth full contact maybe .4335. if not do 2 coats and get the next size range. so my projectiles and sizer can grow as needed. maybe I can do some sort of test to figure out the largest size that will still chamber fine without upping my sizer to do it. I could probably bump a boolits diameter with a press, mic it, seat it, chamber it and repeat until I find that size. then I would have a known window to test in between there and where im at now. sorry just thinking out loud.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have struggled with poorly throated rifles and cast bullets before,. Often no amount of change in sizing or bullet seating depth adjustment improved accuracy. The reason is the throat, and if that happens to you the throat must be addressed if you want lead bullets to shoot well.

No choice.

Boolit Master

Wow, I didn’t know the Marlin 44 was such a pain. Is that since the merger or before even. I bought a marlin in 41 mag over 30 years ago, and I didn’t have these kinds of issues. Maybe it is just the 44, but another person above said his 357 Had the same problem. I will look forward to the information from anyone who has knowledge. I also hope the OP sorts out his issues.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master
    Well before. A rifle having a throat ill suited for cast bullet use is not at all uncommon. This is not just a Marlin problem. Most ever shoot anything but jacketed bullets anyway so the problem occurs for only some users. Jacketed bullets are often more tolerant of this sort of thing in that they will at least shoot acceptably.

Boolit Master
    actually I tried 180gr factory ammo jhp and they shot even worse, I haven't had 240gr to try though since im mostly cast only these days. ill work on diameter stuff I mentioned one of these days but I still wanna hear from people on what collet crimp is cause ive heard a few times people saying different kinds of crimps made them more accurate but ive only ever had standard roll crimp die

Boolit Grand Master
    Having tried and used both kinds of crimps I am extremely skeptical as to their value as an accuracy aid given what else is going on.

Boolit Grand Master
    My luck with jacketed bullets having short bearing surfaces in Marlin barrels has not been promising.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast