Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marlin 44mag throat slugged

Boolit Grand Master

I had a few problems with my Puma in 44 Mag. until I re-slugged the barrel. Since SAAMI groove dimensions are different for a rifle (.431" vs .429" for handguns) all my cast bullets were a bit small at .431"-.432" for the .432" barrel so I just opened up a Lee sizer to .433" (+ a hair). I now use Ranch Dog bullets sized to .433" and they work fine. I didn't do a chamber cast but all my cast bullets in mixed brass will chamber fine.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Marlin 44 is not bad like some are saying. My works good for me and it was made in 1980 and got it used. As for my RH I shoot .431 in it also like I do with my Marlin ,but needed to use different loads for each.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I have a Marlin in 44 mag I bought new in 1978. With the 429421 I shoot as cast, lube with LLA, No sizing. It shoots well that way.
    I got a RD 265 gr RFN, NOE's version. I have cast a few but haven't shot any yet. I'll start as cast. If they chamber that way I'll shoot them that way.
    On a fired case measure the ID of the case mouth. Size your bullets to that size. Size your cases, expander with an expander .002 under your bullet size. NOE makes two sizes of expanders. I have both. The .434x.430 is in the pistol group. The .436x.432 is in the rifle group.
    I have other expanders that expand to .427, .428, .429. These just flare the case mouth after that.
    One is from a Lyman 310 set it has the .428 with the M step to .430. So I can expand cases to 5 different sizes. I think I can find one that works.
    I do have a Lee push through sizer that I honed out. It is about .4335 If I decide to try sizing my bullets.
    Leo

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12