RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingPBcastcoInline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Powder coating muzzleloader bullets

Boolit Bub

Powder coating muzzleloader bullets

I've got a .45cal miniball mold that I plan to start casting with. I was thinking that powder coating might be easier than screwing with messy lubes, but I don't know much about it. Would using a powder coated bullet in a muzzleloader be okay, or is it a recipe for a mucked up and potentially ruined bore?

Boolit Master

Hi Vince,
    The PC will work fine to prevent leading, but remember the other major function of the lube is to keep the powder fouling soft. So while it may be messy, it serves a very important purpose (unless you only plan on shooting a couple of times.)
    Ed

Ed, have you tried PC boolits to see if the fouling is worse/greater with them? I have had a much easier time cleaning the bore since switching to all PC boolits. Of course, I am just using 'soapy water' on a swab so it comes off easily as long as I don't have any grease or lube to deal with.

Banned
    You still need a BP lub, but I powder coat LEE REAL 3 times to increase diameter. Make them fit tite in the barrel for the best accuracy. This works much better than putting aluminum foil in the mold.

Boolit Master

Anyone try a greased wad under a PC boolit vs greasing the boolit?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    Ed, have you tried PC boolits to see if the fouling is worse/greater with them? I have had a much easier time cleaning the bore since switching to all PC boolits. Of course, I am just using 'soapy water' on a swab so it comes off easily as long as I don't have any grease or lube to deal with.
    Hi. I must admit, I have not. Most of my experience is with BPCR. I can see getting away with just PC if using duplex load where the "booster" blows out much of the BP fouling, but I'd think that no lube on a PC bullet would leave the BP fouling rather hard and affect accuracy after just a very few rounds.
    Ed

Boolit Grand Master

Blackhorn 209 and PC bullets should work if it's an inline. BP and most of the subs will need lube to keep the fouling soft.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Lube for keeping fouling soft can be done with a felt wad. Done all the time with paper patched bullets in muzzle loaders.

My front stuffer gets a load of powder, veggie card wad, felt lubed wad and then the PP bullet. I usually shoot 5 then swab the bore. On a colder or more humid day I might get 10 rounds before I have to swab.

I just don't know if a PC bullet will be upset enough to engage the grooves or if you have to size to groove dia and engrave the bullet when loading. You will want a really soft alloy regardless of method.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried PC on some 50 Maxi balls in a tc renegade. I lubed them and sized to 501. I wasn't impressed with accuracy, but OTOH, accuracy was the same in the same rifle with un coated bullets from the same mold.

Next it was Lee .452 255 gr SWC cast of pure lead and coated. These were lubed and sized to .451 and loaded in a TC 45 caliber barrel. Accuracy was excellent.

Probably worth noting that I I always wipe after every shot.