RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: So I sent in my Order to the CMP... M1 Garand.

Boolit Bub
    When it arrives, it will come with an owners manual that is pretty comprehensive. You should read the manual and make sure the bore is clean, etc. Then find some of the correct ammo and go have some fun. You will need to find some en bloc clips somewhere. I'd buy as many as you think you might ever need, as no telling when that supply might dry up.

So I sent in my Order to the CMP... M1 Garand.

The CMP on ammo (most anything reasonably common):

With M2 ball roughly

Boolit Master

Got my order receipt email, the wheels are starting to turn!

Boolit Master

Dimner, you get yours? Mine is supposed to come today!

Boolit Bub
    Definitely pull it apart and inspect/clean. I wouldn't imagine it will need a lot of cleaning, as it will have been broken down recently anyway if it's a refinished receiver. I've heard some horror stories about op rod springs falling out in pieces, etc. Personally I've never had any issues, and over the years I've done at least a dozen mail order and/or store pickups. Good luck and have fun with it.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    I considered going to the north store, but I have been watching the reports on the CMP site about the selection of rifles at the store. They have been very slim. And by all reports the current stock is not in the price range and accuracy (throat/muzzle score) that I was looking for. I thought about it a bunch. If I were going for a collector version, I would have done it in a heartbeat. The sad thing is, the north store is no where as near as stocked as the south. Speculation is that may change after the north store moves to the main building where people sign in for natonal matches.

I guess also, I didn't want to take a 1/2 day off work, pay for a tank and a half of gas, and then sales tax on top of it if I were just going to end up with the same rifle as mail order.

And yes, im fast learning this will not be my only M1
    The last several years it's definitely hit or miss bigtime at the North Store. They were also closed anyway when you sent your paperwork in as they were moving locations. About the time they were scheduled to reopen in the new location I think was close to the time they probably got shut down with the Covid stuff. I haven't really kept up with the North store since I moved out of VA.

Boolit Master

Got it! Haven't really given it the full look over yet, but the receiver is in great shape, no pits that I can see. Rear sight has a bit of rust staining, and the gas cylinder looks like it was worked over pretty well to clean it up and has little finish. I bought it as a shooter, so no worries! Stock and barrel are new, so it should be good in that department. Normally new acquisitions are picked up while my wife is at work, but she is home due to corona, so when it arrived I referred to it as a corona miracle!

Boolit Master

Got hooked on High Power at a clinic at the Fairfax Rod & Gun Club in about 1990 . Old Col. Deneke and crew had government owned and match conditioned Garands for us to use. Never got over it ! You could only get one, period, then, and it cost $168 from the DCM. Now it has 12 brothers and sisters, latest one of the CMP deals with a new barrel and wood . Got Pops from his estate 2 years back(Asian theater WWII Marine - he'd always said they were the best gun ever). Have seen the M1 thumb bring large men to their knees , turn pale, and dang near pass out . Ouch. Everybody should have one !!

Boolit Master

I have seen M1s in gun racks and have always admired them. As popular as they are they could do a new production run and name their price. After all, Prettiest one I ever saw was owned by a former co-worker. He got a pristine rifle and took it to the extreme. He hand rubbed the furniture with many layers of linseed oil until it looked like glass. He said it was his favorite thing to do while watching football. Then he showed me his Mini 14 that received the same treatment stating 'I did the Mini first.' I told him they were too pretty to shoot. I was promptly informed "I don't own safe queens, I shoot every gun I own."
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    Dimner, you get yours? Mine is supposed to come today!
    I got mine!

Arrived friday. The new (to me) CMP cases are slick. My garand looks pretty good. However, there is heavy pitting above the wood on the receiver. Stamp is very faint. Which is a bummer, because I really wanted a deep stamp. That's what I asked for on the yellow sticky. The pitting is only concerning because all the reports I have read say the pitting isn't that bad. But all of that is top of mind because I have not been able to shoot mine yet. I am waiting on the adjustable gas plug from midway. I'm not going to chance it with factory ammo and/or handloads when I can wait a week or less and be safe with the plug.

I sill need to take it apart and clean it. Hopefully the pitting isn't any worse under the wood.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2020-05-21 11.13.22.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	262850

Name:	2020-05-21 11.12.50.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	262851

Nice looking rifle! You're gonna love shooting it.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master

"PING"! That is one sound I will never forget and sure want to hear again ! Hopefully this year....
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
    Unless you are a stand hunter a M1 is miserable to drag around the woods. I did it once when I was a teen in eastern WVa mountains. That cured me and I was only 15 or 16 at the time.
    GIs drug these things all over Europe and they seemed to have a pretty high opinion of them.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    GIs drug these things all over Europe and they seemed to have a pretty high opinion of them.
    As did Marines and Soldiers in the Pacific theater, as well as Korea.
    Ed

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dimner View Post
    I got mine!

Arrived friday. The new (to me) CMP cases are slick. My garand looks pretty good. However, there is heavy pitting above the wood on the receiver. Stamp is very faint. Which is a bummer, because I really wanted a deep stamp. That's what I asked for on the yellow sticky. The pitting is only concerning because all the reports I have read say the pitting isn't that bad. But all of that is top of mind because I have not been able to shoot mine yet. I am waiting on the adjustable gas plug from midway. I'm not going to chance it with factory ammo and/or handloads when I can wait a week or less and be safe with the plug.

I sill need to take it apart and clean it. Hopefully the pitting isn't any worse under the wood.

Name:	2020-05-21 11.13.22.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	262850

Name:	2020-05-21 11.12.50.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	262851
    No worries, my reciever ('44) looks pretty good, but my stock is a little discolored, the floor plate has some significant active rust I need to take care of. My gas cylinder looks like it was left in a trench for some time. But boy does it shoot! I loaded up some 200gr boolits over 2400. Obviously it wouldn't cycle with that load, but it put them all in a tidy little lead smear on my steel plate at 50 yards, offhand. When I went back and looked at the grades again and saw it'd would have been an extra $400 for refinished parts, I got used to it real quick!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    When I went back and looked at the grades again and saw it'd would have been an extra $400 for refinished parts, I got used to it real quick!
    I prefer the been there, done that look over the new refinished parts anyway. You made the right choice.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by IHuntDragons View Post
    I prefer the been there, done that look over the new refinished parts anyway. You made the right choice.
    Same for me, I have always wanted an M1 and back when I was buying surplus guns years ago for $50-100 the $500-800 price point always kept me away since I could buy nearly a dozen Mosins, Mausers, K31's etc for the same price. But now that all milsurps are expensive the M1 isn't a bad deal in comparison.

What I would like to have in one is a nice patina finish preferably without pitting or only slight pitting but with a well worn finish and a nice well beat up walnut stock with that beautiful dark reddish tint they get over time. I believe you can apply the same finish color to most new ones using leather dye for finish but I haven't ever tried it. I know it's near impossible to get that finish using regular wood stains. But I'd really like to get one that's a good shooter that gauges under 2 on the throat/muzzle wear.

Boolit Bub
    I have used Feibing Dark Brown leather dye on all of my Garands and other stocks. Just get rid of any old finish, apply the stain to your liking with thin coats, wipe off and let dry several days, wiping each day. The rub in a few coats of tung oil. After it appear to have soaked in, rub hard with a cloth and let dry for a day or so, wiping each day. On the last coat rub in a thin coat until your hands get hot. It's a slow process, but you'll get a great finish.

Boolit Bub
    I bought a Garand years ago, sometime in the '90s. It's a 1943 Springfield armory.
    Beautiful gun, near perfect, but I'll admit I never shoot it. I need to put it up for sale someday.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123