Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Mould Prices

Boolit Master

Used Mould Prices

Last night I was sniped out of a single cavity mould on evilbay (311041 single cav sold for $53 +S&H) and it got me to thinking perhaps my understanding on the value of moulds may be off. I have watched the prices here and thought I was in the ballpark.

Outside of a rare, special or unique mould what is the average price you would be willing to pay (without handles) for a:

Single cavity
    2 Cavity
    4 Cavity

The value threshold may be different between rifle and pistol, so we will see where the thread goes if/when folks chime in.

To keep things simple I'm hoping to keep the pending discussion focused on Iron moulds (Ideal, Lyman, H&G Cramer, RCBS etc) for rifle and pistol. No offence to the Aluminum, black powder or roundball crowd.

Boolit Master

1cav - $35
    2cav - $50
    4cav - $70

Then it depends on MANY factors.
    How bad do I want the mold ?
    Condition of the Mold ? Has it been abused ? Does it have rust on it ? Rust scars ? Any strange screws ? Do I have handles to fit it ?

Do I REALLY need it ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Hey Walks, that is a very good summation. I have paid more and I have paid less. But, a 311041... that is a common mould that someone went nuts on. Not even as old as it could be, my 2C is numbered 31141, so older.

Boolit Grand Master

It depends on the brand and the bullet type/weight. A 2 cavity Lee won't go for as much as a 2 cavity Lyman or RCBS. A nice H&G will fetch a premium. A bullet thats not as common as it once was, like a 38 full wad cutter, won't bring as much as something still in demand.

Watch the auction sites and see whats being bid on and what the auction ends at. But in the end, if you really want it you can pay a little more just to have it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    1cav - $35
    2cav - $50
    4cav - $70

Then it depends on MANY factors.
    How bad do I want the mold ?
    Condition of the Mold ? Has it been abused ? Does it have rust on it ? Rust scars ? Any strange screws ? Do I have handles to fit it ?

Do I REALLY need it ?
    Walks, I really tried to word those exact sentiments into my question as well as trying to stay away from heirloom moulds

Boolit Master
    Without factoring the shipping, I'll go
    1 cav - $30
    2 cav - $40
    4 cav's & up I buy new
    Been outbid several times for a particular mould, but I do have my price limits.

Boolit Master
    I chased a ideal 311-041 for around a year before just ordering a copy from NOE it’s perfect .

Boolit Master

Good rule of thumb !

1cav - $35
    2cav - $50
    4cav - $70
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

For me it depends on several factors like-

1. How long I've been looking for the item.
    2. How many times I've been outbid at the last moment.
    3. How set I am on a particular maker or model.

If much time goes by I get antsy and will likely just order it new if it is available.

Then it will without a doubt become available for a much lower price. I try to avoid looking for those things again because I know what to expect.

Boolit Master

Of course there are times when you do catch a deal.
    Sold my last H&G about 10yrs ago. It was a 10cav #50 with handles. Bought it for $40 at a gun show in 1979. Just hadn't cast a 38 wadcutter in the 20yrs before that.
    Made $100.
    And some folks are just willing to pay more.

Still trying to find a #429421 4cav made before 2,000. It'll be the last one I need to replace from the robbery 16yrs ago.
    But that'll have to wait, got more important things to spend $$$ on.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

For me, for common molds.

Single cavity $35 delivered.
    Double cavity $50 delivered
    Four cavity $70 delivered.

eBay prices can sometimes go nuts. I think people get caught up in the bidding or aren't really aware of what they are worth.

$53 for a single cavity 311041 is totally crazy.

The last few molds I have bought on eBay have been:

NOE 4c brass 311-198 SP $88
    NOE 4c aluminum 358-155 ELCO HP $116.75 (out of stock at NOE)
    SAECO 115 four cavity $80
    Lyman 452630 4c new in box $72.99
    Lyman 1c 452423 $26.01
    Lyman 2c 452400 $31.59
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master
    Walks very well answered the OP's question. I decide my max price for a mold and put that into the mix. Whether I win or lose I'm happy. Then again there are the really rare or less frequently seen designs that shout to me to bring them here. I will raise the bidding bar somewhat for those but not up to the "second mortgage" level. All in all it is still fun to see all the designs that are and have been offered over the years. For me that is a lot of the value from looking over the auction and sale sites - the education they bring to the table.

Boolit Master
    I have a few molds that I paid a little more for just because I wanted that particular mold , I haven't regretted it .
    A filthy nasty RCBS 358-150 KT just because I wanted the older KT mold it cleaned up really good and is a pleasure to cast with 50 + shipping .
    And 3 different 4 cavity saeco molds that I really wanted at around a 100 shipped without handles .
    Lyman molds I have picked up a few 2 cavity molds I wanted like a older 358-429 at 50. And recently a 4 cavity 358-156 without handles I think I bought it for 75.
    The craziest project I completed was a H&G 10 cavity (rescue ) a member hear passed on a project mold for 70 bucks that I sent to Eric to restore ( he did a fantastic job ) in the end I had as much in it as one in excellent condition would cost , but I feel really good about saving that treasure .
    No regrets at all in my modest collection of molds .

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post

Still trying to find a #429421 4cav made before 2,000. It'll be the last one I need to replace from the robbery 16yrs ago.
    But that'll have to wait, got more important things to spend $$$ on.
    I have one in single cavity I got in a trade bundle and it is used but I have not cast a bullet with it

Boolit Buddy

I think many of the prices I see above are a bit low for eBay prices. Remember, most eBay sellers are people who don't know the product, they are checking the price against new items. Clueless buyers do the same thing.
    That 2 cavity mould that you missed out on is priced $86 at Midway USA. Getting a good price on eBay just takes patience.

Better prices can be found here on Castboolits. Lately I just buy when NOE has a sale or there is a group buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Valley-Shooter View Post
    I think many of the prices I see above are a bit low for eBay prices. Remember, most eBay sellers are people who don't know the product, they are checking the price against new items. Clueless buyers do the same thing.
    That 2 cavity mould that you missed out on is priced $86 at Midway USA. Getting a good price on eBay just takes patience.

Better prices can be found here on Castboolits. Lately I just buy when NOE has a sale or there is a group buy.
    I too think most prices here are fair, plus the seller has a better grasp on rating the condition.

Boolit Grand Master
    You guys are getting better deals than I am! If I found a SC rifle bullet mould I liked and needed for Schuetzen and could get it for $75-100 I would usually try for it. DC pistol bullet moulds in desirable cherry numbers may be bought on a really good day for $75, but if they are very rare numbers, they go up fast from there. I don’t buy many 4 cavity moulds so don’t have a very good read on them.

Having said all of that, I do occasionally find a screaming deal on a mould from time to time at a gun show or even on flea-Bay, and if it the least bit likely to be usable, I suck it up to use or swap. Good deals are out there, but the floor level on prices seems to be rising among the knowledgeable. Serious shopping is certainly in order!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

You mean there are moulds available that are OTHER THAN Hensley & Gibbs?
    The last non-H&G mould I purchased was for the Savage Sporter in 25-20 and was an old Lyman Ideal dual cavity plain base bullet. I think I paid $75 shipped with handles.
    For H&G expect to pay (4 CAVITY) $125-175 depending on rarity and condition of the normal and customary moulds. The #50's & # 130's are on the low end, the others tend to inch higher.
    I have paid STUPID money for 2 H&G moulds - one a #51 dual cavity dual hollow point (original factory) and an 8 cavity brand new in the box #503.
    Why? Because I wanted them, the #51 was incredibly rare (only 2 known per the resident H&G expert - and he had the other one) and I simply would not be denied. It hurt to pay that but the pain went away after a while.
    I bid on the H&G #51 and paid the asking price for the #503. Painful for both.
    But that #503 produced some 2000 44 bullets in the first 3 casting sessions.
    THAT'S why you pay more for them....perfect bullets every time, bullets that fall out of the mould when you open it, and the pleasure of working with a precision piece of equipment. Once you get the rhythm down for pot temp, mould temp, frequency, etc. you can pump out a TON of bullets.
    It is astounding to me that these guys did these H&G moulds on good old Bridgeport lathes.....no CNC here!
    It really is OK to pay a bit of a premium for something you really want or need.
    Last edited by FISH4BUGS; 02-24-2020 at 10:35 AM.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    So in fine fashion with all of this advice in my mind I jumped on a Lyman single cav 358429 HP mould with the HP pin for $50 shipped... Kinda fell under the "how bad do I want it" category.

I already have a Ideal 358439 that is missing the HP pin unusable on the shelf, so with any luck the pin will work in both moulds. If so then by spending $50 I saved myself $10 if I got a replacement pin from Eric.

So the hunt is still on for a 31141 or 311041 for my 30-30
    Last edited by metricmonkeywrench; 02-24-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    A 7” five shot group on a 500m ram with iron sights with the Ideal 311413 is not too shabby. Also the Ideal 311291 is also an excellent long range reload. These are my lever action match 200 to 500m bullets
    Regards
    John

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast