Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Favorite No Lube Groove (NLG) Mold

Boolit Buddy

Favorite No Lube Groove (NLG) Mold

Now that I’ve started coating bullets and discarded all of my bullet lube, I’d like to move away from my Lee molds with lube grooves in favor of NLG molds. I’m hoping this thread could become helpful for others transitioning out of the lubing world and into the coating world.

Please provide information on your favorite NLG molds with pictures of the finished product (bullets).

Boolit Master
    I have been using NGL molds from Accurate a 5 cav 35 130-C and a 5 cav 35 140-z with the Hi-Tek coating. These molds are a real pleasure to cast with.

Using a NLG bullet helps the bullet to keep the finished diameter and not get swagged after loading.

I will try to post some pic later as I am leaving for a USPSA match today.

I have few 9mm and 38/357 moulds but only one in NLG, became my favourite 9mm now. It is a NLG version of very popular MP 359-125 (130grs)
    A MP 357-130 NLG (140grs) is designed to be PC/Hi-Tek’d.
    Also have many 308” moulds, but only one NLG,
    A MP 311-235 hollow point AAC BLK.
    pictured with its solid LG version.

Boolit Master

I prefer molds with lube grooves.

They are easier to size.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Master

I do not find my bullets getting swaged that have lube grooves , I have some MP no lube grooves and when I closed sprue plate out of sync and shaved a sliver of brass on a mold I faced off the mold and reamed a no lube groove out of it , I like the easier release of a NLG as they do seem to just fall out on opening , but the lube groove or no groove is a weight for length issue to me , as I have had a mold cut recently I see the lesser size took away a small amount of weight , I would not let grooves or no grooves dictate what I buy , do you need more bearing surface , more weight in same length , it is a non issue in all my shooting , Size and shape is what I concern myself with , I have cast a lot of tumble lube bullets out of wheelweight and range scrap and they are still pretty hard but the range I belong to has a lot of reloaders , casters and scrap comes out ringing ingots , find a fair amount of powder coated and hardball along with the soft jacketed and 22 , now this is all out of the pistol berm , as to sizing I prefer not to when mold and firearm permit , but if they need sized I prefer a mold close to diameter so there is minimal sizing down , to each their own and what works for one does not always work for all , as my favorite gun shop owner says spend more time doing and shooting and see what works less time on that blasted internet .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamsek View Post
    I have few 9mm and 38/357 moulds but only one in NLG, became my favourite 9mm now. It is a NLG version of very popular MP 359-125 (130grs)
    A MP 357-130 NLG (140grs) is designed to be PC/Hi-Tek’d.
    Also have many 308” moulds, but only one NLG
    I’m interested because I BELIEVE the extra bearing surface should help with leading. I have some NLG Bayou Bullets that I’ll try today and see if I can get an acceptable load to shoot sans leading.

Boolit Master
    I like NLG:s with Hi Tek. No lost weight for the grooves,easy cast,more lube surface,coats nice...

Here is a NOE 502-325, I'm using it in 500 S&W with good success. I force crimp with Lee collet die.

From Mihec I have brass NLG molds for 357 Mag 45 ACP and 45-70. The last two to the right are NOE 502 again.

Boolit Master
    I HiTek all my 9mm designs, both with and without lube grooves.

So long as it's consistent, a couple grains weight difference from with/without lube grooves, bevel versus flat base, or a change in alloy doesn't make a difference in my applications.

No leading either way if I've applied the two coats of HiTek properly. No appreciated changes in accuracy. The one difference I've seen with just one or two specific designs is that, with the same grain weight, the boolit sized the same, and loaded to the same internal case volume with the same case, powder and primer, my current favorite lube groove design gets me the same average velocity as my prior grooveless fave with two to three tenths of a grain less powder (~7.5% less). I'm assuming that this is from less bearing surface causing less friction. A bit less cost (VV N320 is kinda pricey) and a bit less felt recoil, which is desireable in the action pistol sports.

Is is true that the groove sometimes doesn't get as much coating as the rest, and may be a lighter color, but that isn't visible in the loaded round, and being a non contact area, doesn't cause leading (and there are ways to even out the color if it matters to you).

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    I HiTek all my 9mm designs, both with and without lube grooves.

So long as it's consistent, a couple grains weight difference from with/without lube grooves, bevel versus flat base, or a change in alloy doesn't make a difference in my applications.

No leading either way if I've applied the two coats of HiTek properly. No appreciated changes in accuracy. The one difference I've seen with just one or two specific designs is that, with the same grain weight, the boolit sized the same, and loaded to the same internal case volume with the same case, powder and primer, my current favorite lube groove design gets me the same average velocity as my prior grooveless fave with two to three tenths of a grain less powder (~7.5% less). I'm assuming that this is from less bearing surface causing less friction. A bit less cost (VV N320 is kinda pricey) and a bit less felt recoil, which is desireable in the action pistol sports.

Is is true that the groove sometimes doesn't get as much coating as the rest, and may be a lighter color, but that isn't visible in the loaded round, and being a non contact area, doesn't cause leading (and there are ways to even out the color if it matters to you).
    Great info. I too am not concerned by lack of color in a lube groove, but looking for best case for preventing leading. More bearing surface means less chance for gas cutting to happen, but it will mean more drag and higher pressures for same velocity, but shouldn’t be the difference between cast and jacketed.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Petander View Post
    I like NLG:s with Hi Tek. No lost weight for the grooves,easy cast,more lube surface,coats nice...

Here is a NOE 502-325, I'm using it in 500 S&W with good success. I force crimp with Lee collet die.

From Mihec I have brass NLG molds for 357 Mag 45 ACP and 45-70. The last two to the right are NOE 502 again.

Looks great. You’re quite the photographer.