WidenersLoad DataSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Collet bullet pullers

Boolit Grand Master

Collet bullet pullers

Which one works the best????
    I have the Fosters and RCBS.
    Fosters works sometimes. RCBS sometimes.
    I have a lots of .223 to pull.
    The Fosters is not working.
    Don't have the collet for the RCBS.
    Thought I'd ask here if it's any better than the Fosters before ordering one.

I do use the hammer type most of the time.
    With the light 223 bullet, it takes to many hits to pop out.

Boolit Bub
    I have a Hornady bullet puller and no matter how I put the bullet messes up the bullet. had the rcbs and had the same problem. the only one that work ok was the hammer type but I don't like using them.

Boolit Buddy
    Are you trying to save the projectiles?

Boolit Grand Master
    Hope to save them.

I have the RCBS collet bullet puller and I found that for rounds that have been loaded for a while need to have the bond of the bullet with the case neck broken before I attempt to pull them. If you have a seating die for the caliber set it to just barely push the bullet into the neck just enough to break the bond with the case neck then it usually pulls right out.

Just my opinion here,

If your trying to save cast bullets after being pulled, you need a kinetic puller.
    I have an old Herter's collet style, (same collets as RCBS) all my pulls go into the re-melt bucket.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by AntiqueSledMan View Post
    Just my opinion here,

If your trying to save cast bullets after being pulled, you need a kinetic puller.
    I have an old Herter's collet style, (same collets as RCBS) all my pulls go into the re-melt bucket.

AntiqueSledMan.
    I agree with the above.
    I have a collet puller and it always leaves marks on the bullet.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the RCBS and I have pulled a gajillion bullets. It can be really difficult with some calibers depending on neck tension, how long they were loaded and the type of bullet.

However, I would say you are in good luck. I have always been able to use the 22 call puller collet pretty easy. Even on the military crimped bullet 22 cals. The bullets rarely get scarred. This is unlike the 30 cals that I reload myself. For some reason I really have to crank down on the bullet to get the dang collet to keep ahold of the bullet. Maybe I should switch to neck bushing dies in my 30-06. Anyway, sorry for the tangent. You should have good luck with the 22 cal.

Another tip, use a single stage press. I have far less luck with mine on a turret press..

I should also mention these suggestions are for J-Words. Any cast bullet I pull is always remelted. Cuz I'm anal.

Boolit Grand Master

I've not seen much difference between the collet type pullers. I have the RCBS and it works ok on rifle bullets and on the longer jacketed pistol bullets. Not so well on shorter bullets or on cast bullets with a heavy crimp. If the bullets that you are trying to pull seem to be difficult you might try seating them a little bit deeper. This movement can help break any bond that may have formed.

I'm in the middle of pulling 1000 rounds of .223 gallery ammo with my oldest son right now, they were loaded up for a gun we no longer have 20 years back so the kids could shoot without all the recoil. We are just using an old QUINETICS boolit puller to do the deed. I think we got close to 1/2 of them just last night and it took three hits each with a heavy crimp around the FMJ groove.

I sure would like to get a Forster puller and re-engineer the disk. I think its a great idea but poor design for the disk fingers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Which one works the best????
    Every collet puller I've seen works every time if it can get a grip on the bullet, I can't imagine why your's dont.

I do use the hammer type most of the time.
    With the light 223 bullet, it takes to many hits to pop out.
    Use your seater die to push your bullets a few thousanths deeper to break the neck seal, THEN use the hammer.

I have tried all of them and currently use RCBS MODIFIED puller. The collects are the same but I had a buddy drill and insert drill rod into the body of the puller for a double handle which I then use closet-rod doug fir handles on. As a side-note there are 3-section collets and 4-section collets for RCBS. I have most of the calibers in both 3 and 4 section but have not seen a difference in performance between the two yet. I have only run into very few rifle bullets that are hard to pull. Most are pretty simple. I use the puller in a dedicated CH "H" style press that is perfect for the job. All you do is set it and SLAM the press handle up. If you set the collet on the bullet correctly you will almost always have a successful pull. Keep a few drill bits handy in case they are reloads and the powder is caked... makes quick work. The dumped powder makes for great fertilizer or if you know of anybody with a cannon...
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    I have every brand/style of collet puller out there and they all work.........MOST of the time. Depends on the grip they can get. They can and do damage the boolit, so reuse is marginal most times.

Kinetic extractors work very well with my personal loads that I need to extract for some reason. No damage to slugs and most can be reused.

banger

Boolit Master

The SEARCH feature yields lots of threads on the subject, including three others on the first screen of topics.

There is no such thing as "best". All are simple devices w/ few moving parts. Hopefully, no one here needs to repeatedly view any Youtube videos to figure out their operation.

I have an old RCBS that works well, and is best for jacketed bullets. Lead bullets are removed easier w/ a inertia puller.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.