Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: What BUT needed to melt 80lbs at a time?

What BUT needed to melt 80lbs at a time?

I didn't bring the Turkey fryer that I used to use back in Ca. And I don't know the BTUs it put out. What BUT burner will I need to melt in a huge cast iron pot that holds 80 to 200lbs of lead alloy?

I see some dryers at Sportsmans that are 60,000 BTU that are solid enough to hold the weight and some on Amazon that are 200,000 BTU that lol like they would collapse under that weight.

What do you use?

Doc

I brought mine on ebay (Search for "200000 BTU Outdoor Cooking Gas Single Propane Stove Burner BBQ Grill Party US")

I use it out in the back yard and it will hold/melt at least 200 lbs...that's the most I've put in it at once.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

It cooks really fast. Probably would not be for the guy who dumps everything in a pot and skims all the floaties. Easily over do it with zinc. You pour on the gas it kinda roars. I customised the leg frame to handle the weight. It held 230 but I was nervous.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Ruger RedHawk 357 Mag 44 Mag GP100 Davidson Exclusive 5" Security Six 2 3/4", Speed Six 4"
    Smith Wesson 629 PP and 686 PP, 617

Thanks guys, I ordered one on fee-bay with the 200,000 btu burner. I will do something to make it a bit more solid though....

Boolit Master

I set bricks under the 3 sides of my repurposed turkey fryer (like RedHawk's) to increase support and create a chimney. Then the 100# plus of components is potted (similar to RedHawk's) and the pot loosely wrapped in an aluminum shield (where I got it idk) to further funnel the hot gasses to the pot. Set fire to the melt through wax candles (as flux) and it heats simultaneously from top to bottom and rather quickly. What BTU's IDK. HOT is HOT!
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by The Real Doc Holliday View Post
    Thanks guys, I ordered one on fee-bay with the 200,000 btu burner. I will do something to make it a bit more solid though....
    I use a homemade burner and I don't know the BTU output. I think it around 500,000 because its built like a weed burner that has that rating. Your new 200,000 BTU burner should do the job.