Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: Skinner aperture sight

Boolit Bub

Skinner aperture sight

After looking on this and other forums for a while, I have ordered the Skinner 1886 sight
    for my Browning src 45/70. The src will be used for hunting and informal target shooting.
    I know that I will need to tap the receiver. Anyone here has one of these and how do you
    like it.

What I could not order was the Merit #4 hunting aperture. Merit does not supply it any more.
    Do one of you guys have the merit squirreled away and would sell it to me.

Boolit Master
    Are you sure you have to tap the gun? I had a Winchester 1886 (also a Miroku made gun) and the holes were already in the gun for the sight. Is the Merit #4 an adjustable aperture or just a certain size fixed aperture? I have a couple of apertures here and don't recall what they were for. One of them is in a plastic case labeled Merit #4, but it's not adjustable. I got rid of the Skinner (wasn't too happy with it after trying it) and somewhere along the line I ended up with two fixed dia aperatures. One of them is probably for the Skinner, but I don't remember which one.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know about the 1886, but I can tell you that I love it on my 1895 guide gun for hunting. Once adjusted it is fast and accurate.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I'm having both my Browning rifle and SRC D&Ted for Skinner sights, the holes are not there.

Boolit Bub
    veeman is right. the browning src is not drilled or tapped for any receiver sight.

nsb the Merit #4 hunting aperture should be an adjustable iris type that would fit
    in a lyman #2 sight (12X40 thread) Merit Corporation made them. If you indeed
    have one and don't need it, let me know.

Boolit Bub
    NSB look on the Skinner web sight under apertures and there is a picture of the Merit #4 aperture.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by william l evans View Post
    NSB look on the Skinner web sight under apertures and there is a picture of the Merit #4 aperture.
    I must have gotten rid of the Merit #4. Now I'm wondering what I do have.

Boolit Master
    I tried a Williams aperture rear sight that fit the scope mounting holes in my Marlin 1895. A rear peep won't work to well for me and my variable bifocals. I find myself looking through 1 1/2 apertures. Which one is real??

Boolit Master
    I love it on my Mossberg 464. I got the one with the wings to protect the post since the rifle goes so many places and takes a bit of a beating. My rifle required the taller post than the regular one that comes standard so I could shoot CB's that call for more vertical elevation. The taller post was sent at no charge. Great service from Skinner!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    I tried a Williams aperture rear sight that fit the scope mounting holes in my Marlin 1895. A rear peep won't work to well for me and my variable bifocals. I find myself looking through 1 1/2 apertures. Which one is real??
    I find it is the right front sight that is real with my glasses. With my bifocals, I see two front sights with the aperture.

Boolit Master
    I don't use aperture rear sights because of my variable bifocals. 1 1/2 apertures just isn't right.

I've got one on my Marlin 45/70 Cowboy and I love it. I just couldn't bring myself to put a scope on that rifle so I bought one and a front sight and a rear sight plug to go with it. On a good day my old worn out eyes will do 1/12" and that's good enough for me to stuff a 405 gr boolit where it needs to be.Attachment 257798Attachment 257799Attachment 257800

I have found that a bigger target with a white background is a lot friendlier to old eyes and peep sights. Here is one I made and printed on my printer.
    Last edited by murf205; 03-02-2020 at 01:29 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    Both eyes open works best with a peep for me sure I cannot get full focus but am accurate with a 6:00 hold with the skinner post.