RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: Rifle loads for 45 colt

Boolit Master

Rifle loads for 45 colt

This is a little different question for many here. I have a Rossi ranch hand (Mars Leg) in 45 colt. It is a cut down Rossi 92 lever rifle for those who
    don't know. Any way I,m looking at rifle loads for 45 colt. This short rifle has a 12 inch barrel & there is almost no data I can find. So I,m thinking
    of maybe reduced rifle loads. I cast up Lee 255 grain bullets & Hi Tec coated them. I have Unique, that I shot with 10 gr & Tight group at 7 gr with 220 Grain
    lee cast bullet. I just got some 2400 & reloader 7. I want to mostly stick with 255 g bullet. Any help or ideas would be welcome.

Fly

Boolit Master
    There's not much you need to change--standard pressure .45 Colt loads work just great in the carbines and gain a couple hundred fps more velocity from the longer barrel and closed breach.

The Rossi 92 action will safely stand much higher pressure than an old Colt, so if you're looking for that level of performance then I'd recommend looking for "Ruger only" or T/C Contender data. Just be super careful that you don't let one of those hot loads find their way into a firearm with a weaker action.

Boolit Master
    Great advice! This is a super fun project. I put a regular stock on this bad boy, & with the short barrel it is so cool. Now I,m working on loads.

Fly

I'd be careful about talking about that stock. You are now in SBR country.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Master
    I still have the other stock. That so ridicules as you know. But I live in a very remote area & do not plan to shoot it but on my own
    land. I have seen videos of others doing the same. Funny thing is I let a local sheriff look at it, & he never said a thing but cool.

Fly

Boolit Master
    I thought I would past this on as it might help some one else. I shot to different loads in my Rossi ranch hand with a full stock off hand. First was cast Lee 220 gr 45 colt
    with 7grain of tightgroup that chrono average 1052 fps. I only shot 30 yards benched but all touched. Wow I can,t wait to take it out 50 & be own. Next was
    255 Lee cast with 17 grains of 2400 with average 1364 fps. She kicked like a mule but patterned great also. That short 12 inch barrel really was a surprise for
    I never really tried accuracy test with the longer stock. I also coated the bullets with HiTec coatings.

Fly
    Last edited by Fly; 02-22-2020 at 08:21 PM.

Boolit Bub
    I also have a Rossi rifle in 45 Colt and have run hot Ruger Only loads through it. Mine has the 20" barrel and 23.5gr of H110 with a 265gr bullet will do 1725fps from it. That is a half grain under maximum from most sources. BUT, that is a punishing load on my shoulder in such a light rifle. I've since backed down to more standard pressure 45LC loads running Blue Dot

Boolit Master
    I love these rifles. The 45 colt is a fun load & you can make it what you want. It can kill a bear with the heaviest or shoot rabbits with the lightest.
    There light, chamber great & or inexpensive compared to Henry & the rest. I took mine down & polished all the working surfaces & worked the trigger.
    It is smooth as silk & great shooter.

Fly