Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision

Thread: Leading in a Lee Boolit sizer?

Leading in a Lee Boolit sizer?

In the instructions of my new Lee Boolit resizer it says not to size unlubed boolits as it can "lead" the sizer. Anyone ever see a leaded Lee boolit sizer? Is that even possible unless your boolits are really hot?

ACC

Lead can transfer without heat, due to friction. So yes, I've seen one leaded up.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

My Lee sizers were fairly rough from the factory so I can see how they can pick up lead. I always got them under size and polished them out to my desired size, bullets sized a lot smoother to boot. I size a lot of bullets with no lube.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm sure it's possible, but I've never seen it. I've sized my share of unlubed bullets, although always only a .001" or .002".

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Galling can occur when any softer metal is in friction contact with a harder metal. And Pb will gall with steel under the right conditions. I have never seen it in any of my tons of Lee sizers, but you know the lawyer team at Lee was involved with that statement!

banger

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    My Lee sizers were fairly rough from the factory so I can see how they can pick up lead. I always got them under size and polished them out to my desired size, bullets sized a lot smoother to boot. I size a lot of bullets with no lube.
    same, last one I got was a .430 but it measured .4295 X .4305 and not very smooth. I buy them as cheap blanks to make my custom size and in the process they get round and smooth

Boolit Master
    If you have access to a lathe it is easy to get a mirror polish. Buy undersize dies, then a dab of diamond paste on a wood dowel will smooth them out quickly. Then green compound to a high shine. Yellow compound will make it even more reflective.

It is best to push a bullet through often and measure it so as not to over do it.

Boolit Master
    As you can see from the posts, there are lots of good ways to smooth out the Lee dies. But-- if you don't want to do that, its still not a big deal. Confession time: I PC a lot of my bullets, so I size them in Lee dies without lube so that the PC will adhere best. Some of these bullets I size down as much as 0.003. Every now and then the die leads up and the leading smears across the base of the bullets-- making little tails on the base of the bullets. But-- when I toss them into the tub and shake them for PC the leading left on the bases of the bullets wears off and they come out fine. I also gas check and then tumble lube some of my pistol bullets and bullets for 223 rem. I put the gas checks on the bullets and then run them through the sizer-- without lube. The gas checks seem to prevent leading of the die (just as they help in a firearm). So-- yeah-- you can lead up a Lee die-- but depending on what you are doing it may not be a problem.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    As you can see from the posts, there are lots of good ways to smooth out the Lee dies. But-- if you don't want to do that, its still not a big deal. Confession time: I PC a lot of my bullets, so I size them in Lee dies without lube so that the PC will adhere best. Some of these bullets I size down as much as 0.003. Every now and then the die leads up and the leading smears across the base of the bullets-- making little tails on the base of the bullets. But-- when I toss them into the tub and shake them for PC the leading left on the bases of the bullets wears off and they come out fine. I also gas check and then tumble lube some of my pistol bullets and bullets for 223 rem. I put the gas checks on the bullets and then run them through the sizer-- without lube. The gas checks seem to prevent leading of the die (just as they help in a firearm). So-- yeah-- you can lead up a Lee die-- but depending on what you are doing it may not be a problem.
    I have had bullets fin the base before. Why don't you PC first, then size? They should size like grease.

Boolit Master
    I agree rough surfaces pick up softer metal. It's easy to lube or oil boolets before sizing and avoid those problems. I find the Lee dies are tapered and the exit is the minimum.

So where does one get these grinding compounds please?

Boolit Master
    You can just wrap sandpaper around a rod in a hand drill. Polishing the smallest point in a push through sizer dont need to be high tech at all. You just need to mic frequently, nothing esle really to go wrong besides going too big