Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Slugs and Longshot powder

Boolit Buddy

Slugs and Longshot powder

I have been having fun shooting Lee 7/8 oz. slugs with a modest load of powder (makes nice big holes in paper). I would like to begin testing some slugs from Ballistic Products and it seems that Longshot powder will give speeds more suited to hunt deer. In their slug loading manual BP makes comments about cold weather shooting and slow burning powder, and Longshot is toward the slow end of the spectrum. Any thoughts on the suitability of combining November weather (approx. 25 to 40 degrees) and Longshot powder? Any tech info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.......

Boolit Master

There used to be some reports of Blue dot underperforming in sub freezing weather. No problem with LSHT.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gunauthor View Post
    I have been having fun shooting Lee 7/8 oz. slugs with a modest load of powder (makes nice big holes in paper). I would like to begin testing some slugs from Ballistic Products and it seems that Longshot powder will give speeds more suited to hunt deer. In their slug loading manual BP makes comments about cold weather shooting and slow burning powder, and Longshot is toward the slow end of the spectrum. Any thoughts on the suitability of combining November weather (approx. 25 to 40 degrees) and Longshot powder? Any tech info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.......
    No real tech info, but I shot a deer with the LBC sabot slug and Longshot. Temp was around 30 degrees. Longshot will work just fine.

Any reason you can't use your 7/8 oz lee slugs?

Boolit Grand Master

I know it is commonly said that Blue Dot can be a problem to ignite in sub freezing weather but I've shot slugs over Blue Dot at down to -15° C (5° F) with no issues at all. Not saying it can't happen or that there aren't better cold weather powders but so far Blue Dot has been very reliable for me as long as the pressure is maintained by using correct charge/payload. It doesn't like to be downloaded or lighter than spec'd payload used though which can result in inconsistent burn and unburned powder in the bore.

I haven't actually managed to test many different powders due to lack of availability where I am so stick with what works and what I can get which so far has been mostly Unique, Blue Dot, SR4756 and Green Dot for slugs. I've used mostly Unique and Blue Dot but should try some others if and when I can find them. If Longshot is a good choice I'll keep my eyes open for it.

If you try Longshot in cold weather please post results. I don't recall seeing many if any load data for Longshot except maybe Slugs R Us?

Longbow

Banned
    Greetings Gunauthor, when testing the loads with Longshot be prepared with double protection ear plugs and then ear muffs, they are LOUD !
    Once you start testing those loads start with Fed. 209 A primers for max efficiency loads.
    Please share the BP slug loading page for our friends to help out ! !

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots