WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: 16+ BHN bullets to 11 BHN ?

Boolit Buddy

16+ BHN bullets to 11 BHN ?

A few years ago ( time flies ) I bought about 1000 commercial cast bullet for my 44-40 ( 200-205 gr. ) I shoot 10-12 BHN ,, so I used the tic-tac toe formula to make the bullets softer,,, if I did the formula right ,, I need to mix 5lbs. of hard bullets ( 16+ BHN. ) w/ 6lbs. of pure lead ( 5+- BHN ) to get 11-12 BHN ,, some one ck. me out ,, did I get it right ? I used the pencil method to test the hardness. I also have some range lead ( 11-12 BHN ? ) ,, but I need to soften the 16 BHN bullets down ,, which way should I go ???

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Master
    id just mix half hard and half pure then do a real test for whatever your goal is like accuracy ect. if it does what you want it don't really matter what the arbitrary hardness number is. if it don't do what you want adjust with more pure or hard. if it don't cast well enough add tin.

Boolit Master
    Commercial cast is often (but not always) made with hardball (6% Sb, 2% Sn). COWW has been described as being made of 2-3% Sb, 0.5-1% Sn, and a trace of As, and is in the BHN range you want. If those commercial casts are hardball, mixing it 1:1 as bmortell suggests would get you what you want. If you want a more cautious approach, you could add less pure to start with and then add more in increments, testing hardness as you go (though your fresh cast hardness readings won't be the same as the aged hardness).

Boolit Master

Recommendation - experiment in SMALL BATCHES. Melt a few hard boolits together (weigh first) with equivalent pure lead (or softer material - weigh first) at one time, cool, test hardness, wait a day, test, wait a week, test.

Run several "batches" in parallel, taking copious notes so you can reproduce results in larger batches. don't go for the whole 9-yards on the first melt.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    Good info. from all ,, will try different batches ,, just needed a starting point. I shoot 40-60 , & 44-40 ( paper targets ) mostly 200-210 gr.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Boolit Master

What load are you shooting out of the 44-40? Rifle or pistol? Depending on your answer, 8 BHN would probably suffice and stretch your hard alloy. You might experiment with ratios as high as 3-4 to 1. Pure to hard.

Boolit Buddy
    Hey Silvercreek ,, mostly rifle ( 92 model Rossi )and a 1875 Outlaw 91 model army grip ,, I don't shoot " HOT Loads ". I mostly stick to Lyman # 49 load manual .WW 231,, H -4198,,& RL-7 ( still work'n on the RL-7 loads ).

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    My 100% pure clip on wheel weights or 12 to 13 BH. I tell you to buy a lee tester. Best 60 bucks you’ll ever spend. I can also tell you when switching from softer to harder lead and visa versa your groups will definitely open up. So if you don’t get it right your accuracy will suffer.

If you don’t get your mix right you’re gonna have to just start load testing your new batch again.

Boolit Master
    if your bullets are hard ball 2%SN and 6% sb.5lb of bullets ND 6lb of pure lead should be 11.6 acordong to the lead calculaor found on this site .91%sn and 2.73%sb

Boolit Buddy
    OK ! I'm back ,, took good advice and melted a small batch. Made 2- 1lb. Lyman ingots ,, I used 5lbs.+- of the HD cast ( 15-16 BHN ) bullets w/ lube and 1 1/4 lb.+- of 7-8 BHN ( B5 pencil test-- all ) 1st. test 30min. ( temp. here today 40's- wind 25+ ) 2nd. test 4hrs. ,, will wait 7-10 days & test again,, first 2 test show to be B3 pencil = 10" ish BHN. I left about 3 lbs. in the Master Caster ,, cast heat & 650-685 ,, will still need to mold- load -shoot- take notes- have coffee,, repeat ,, more coffee and if satisfied ,, slowly smoke a cigarette ,awwww.

coffee's ready,, Hootmix.

I would go 1/3 pure, 2/3 hard cast. Should be fine.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol