Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I wish Marlin would make a super 32-20

Boolit Master

I wish Marlin would make a super 32-20

I wish Marlin would come out with a super 32-20. Heavy octagon barrel, pistol grip stock,full length mag tube and a faster twist than the 1x20 they used to use.
    And leave off the safety.And have weaver come out with a base that allows more positioning with more cross slots in the base. There finished with my rant for this week. Frank

Boolit Master
    Frank - count me in on the group buy.

Boolit Buddy
    What's the problem with the twist they used in the last batch of CLs? I kinda like the half mag, it looks uh you know, classic. That weaver base thingy sounds good.

Boolit Buddy
    There are other manufacturers that offer a Weaver style base for Marlins that have multiple slots (Picatinny style) for the scope bases. I have two of the combination rail and peep sights made by Williams on a couple of my guns (a 1981 built 375 and a new 336BL).

And then Marlin could chamber it's matching "sister" rifle in .25-20 ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

And it had the same quality as the guns they used to produce in CT.

Boolit Master
    OK< lets hope they see this and actually do it (fat chance) but on the off chance yes I'd be the first one to put my money where my mouth is. And next do the 25-20 in the same way. And nhithaca thanks for the heads up regarding the picatinny style bases. Now all I have to do is find some. Frank

Boolit Master

Wouldn't that be .327 Fed Mag.

And It's a light cartridge. If you're going to put it in a heavy rifle, you might as well go with a bigger cartridge.

I think the 1st batch of 1894CL's in .32-20 were Great Guns. Wish I still had mine.

And what do they say about wishes ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    A 327 Federal Magnum in a lever action sized for it! A unicorn to ride and a flying pig tag along, o, and a talking dog while I'm wishing!

Boolit Grand Master

I’d love another run of 41 mags. Not gonna happen though.

Your 32-20 sounds like a cowboy but with pistol grip and an EGW pic rail. That would be a real shooter.

Boolit Buddy
    I happen to have three guns in 32-20; a first run 1894CL, a Remington Model 25 rifle (slide action), and a Buckeye limited run Ruger Blackhawk w/ spare 32 H&R cylinder (6.5" barrel). All with standard issue sights. Still looking for a 32-20 barrel for the G1 Contenders.

The 32-20 is a great plinker and short range (50-100 yards) pest gun. Light loads are like shooting a 22. Heavy loads (case full of 1680) are hard on the brass if you reload. It also handles longer 115-125 grain bullets much better than the straight wall 32s.

I do think the modern version using the 327 is a great idea, just can the tube feed loading junk.

I keep thinking rimmed (357 case) necked to 32, 25 or 30 would be great for short range rifle. Available brass and choice of cal. Talked to a gunsmith the other day, he said only way anymore is a Ruger #1 rebarreled. RB & FB actions are just as expensive, won't take as much pressure as rimmed BO. Still gonna cost a bunch.
    Whatever!

An 1894 Marlin in .357( or a Rossi) could be rebarreled to .256 Win or .30 Reese/Badger. In the case of the Rossi; it would probably feed better than it did as a .357......
    All it takes is money!

Boolit Master
    Popper, your concept of a 357 Magnum case necked down to .30 caliber is being discussed right now on the Case Forming - Reforming forum. Title is .30 Bobcat, thread shows dies and formed cases. As for me, I would LOVE to have a single shot or lever action in this cartridge. Is the group buy open yet?

Boolit Master
    Been seriously thinking about gettng the messed up barrel on my low wall relined to 32-20 but need some parts. Fireing pin, new link, and a couple screws. Bur I think one of my BSA 22rf's with the worn extractor would be an almost perfect canidate in getting relined to 32-20 with a faster twist than the old 1x20. So could shoot slightly heavier bullets 130-140 cast. Frank

Been toying with cut down 30/30 case to make 358 or 308. Somebody with QL needs to run the numbers on what case length & neck length will provide widest 'range' of weight & pressure. A light Unique load that gets a 150-170 into 1800 hunting (BO/357 range) or 1200 plinking (32/20) fps would be fine. Yes can download, dacron filler etc but still have position sensitivity.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Marlin....or should I say "Remlin" is having trouble just making a plain old 30-30 that has everything straight and tight on it these days. That's asking a lot.

Boolit Master

30 or 357 Herret (Bob Milick) Popper?

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Wouldn't that be .327 Fed Mag.

And It's a light cartridge. If you're going to put it in a heavy rifle, you might as well go with a bigger cartridge.

I think the 1st batch of 1894CL's in .32-20 were Great Guns. Wish I still had mine.

And what do they say about wishes ?
    I have one of the earlier safety model CLs and it is ok after I disposed of the God rotting safety and put a full length magazine tube on it. I hope I can fine some better wood as what it came with is yellow to white sap wood.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I keep thinking rimmed (357 case) necked to 32, 25 or 30 would be great for short range rifle. Available brass and choice of cal. Talked to a gunsmith the other day, he said only way anymore is a Ruger #1 rebarreled. RB & FB actions are just as expensive, won't take as much pressure as rimmed BO. Still gonna cost a bunch.
    They had a couple. The 256 Winchester was based on the 357 as was the Jet. They flopped. 32-20 is a fun cartridge but with a narrow appeal. Too small for deer and too big for rabbits. While some will jump in a claim they have shot deer with one, there are just better cartridges in the same basic rifle.

I have a 32-20 Marlin 94 CL. It shoots a 120 grain bullet very well and there is nothing wrong with the twist on it. Original 92 Winchesters were made with longer barrels but in levers the carbines survived Besides my 94CL has a 22" barrel. If I were talking about I wish, a 336 with the half magazine and a 22" barrel in 30-30 would tickle my fancy. As to loading the 32-20 hot, as was mentioned it is hard on cases and really serves little purpose for my uses. I load it up to about 1400 or so that a 100 yard hit with the sight in is very doable. If I want heavy loads I carry either my Rossi 357 or better yet my 336 30-30. The Henry made 327 mag answered the desires of those wanting something in that category and might make sense. In a way these are handloading cartridges like the 38-55.

DEP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast