WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gaschecks needed for PC bullets?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I started installing plain base gas check to my 30 carbine boolets.
    Then PC them.
    They do seem to shoot more consistent.
    This is the reason why I have always wondered why mold makers insist on making molds the are guaranteed to have imperfect bases where the sprue is cut on the bullets base. I know for a fact that for over 70 years it has been proven and known that it is the bullet's base that steers the bullet and imperfections on the base of a bullet alter its flight. So many bullet designs could easily be made nose pour. PC and standing the bullets to cook does smooth out some of the imperfections, but they are still not what they could be using a nose pour design. A perfectly installed GC would create a completely flat and perpendicular base, which would have to be an asset to accuracy. A poorly installed GC is a waste of time, effort and money.

I forgot to add GC's to a batch of .355 boolits for the Legend and PC'd them. The GC's of course wouldn't fit so I loaded and shot them. Groups are identical at 200 yds to GC rounds so I don't bother any longer. I do however, use three coats (light) to build up the PC for the base.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    This is the reason why I have always wondered why mold makers insist on making molds the are guaranteed to have imperfect bases where the sprue is cut on the bullets base. I know for a fact that for over 70 years it has been proven and known that it is the bullet's base that steers the bullet and imperfections on the base of a bullet alter its flight. So many bullet designs could easily be made nose pour. PC and standing the bullets to cook does smooth out some of the imperfections, but they are still not what they could be using a nose pour design. A perfectly installed GC would create a completely flat and perpendicular base, which would have to be an asset to accuracy. A poorly installed GC is a waste of time, effort and money.
    You have a good point about nose pours. Better for non GCs too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    I forgot to add GC's to a batch of .355 boolits for the Legend and PC'd them. The GC's of course wouldn't fit so I loaded and shot them. Groups are identical at 200 yds to GC rounds so I don't bother any longer. I do however, use three coats (light) to build up the PC for the base.
    Velocity?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12