RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 460 S&W vs 500 Mag

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by am44mag View Post
    60.9 oz vs 60.7 oz. The 6" 500 is actually a tiny bit lighter than the 460 despite having an inch more of barrel.
    Was afraid of this response. I’m in the 44mag camp. Get a 3-4” 44mag and be happy .

Boolit Master
    A 500 carries just fine in a shoulder holster. I had a 10" for years since 2003,now a 4"... well the actual barrel is 3"...

615 grains @ 1200 fps pictured here. But I also shoot 305's @ 800 fps and anything in between. Very versatile.

Boolit Grand Master

The 44 magnum will never be a 454 casull, and the 50's are above that. Still, my own load with the Lee 310 grain and H110 goes 1275 fps in my 5.5" redhawk. It is not easy to shoot. Yet that's not even at the potential. You can load a 355 grain to 1200 fps. Both Buffalo Bore and Underwood offer a 340 grain at an advertized 1400 fps!

The magnum cartridges factory ammo is tamed down from their former glory, but they can still bark if you load them to their potential.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by lar45 View Post
    The 500 JRH has a 1.4" case and the 500 Special is 1.275" long. Both will fit in the 500 S&W chamber.
    Interesting thx

Boolit Master
    Well, you guys have convinced me to at least take a look at the SRH. I'm still not a fan of it's looks, but after watching some reviews about it, I think I could live with that ugly barrel/frame transition.

After some research, I think I'd go with the 454 over the 480 due to the extra power and versatility the 454 offers. I'm still considering the 460 or the 500, but I'd be lying if I said that the Ruger wasn't growing on me a bit.

The rubber grip with the wood panel inserts on the 454 SRH absorbs a LOT of recoil. Compared to a single action with the same ammo, it is a pussycat. I got fancy hardwood inserts from an aftermarket supplier to enhance mine.

American Hunter has a good article on bear defense this month.

Boolit Grand Master

Well, you guys have convinced me to at least take a look at the SRH. I'm still not a fan of it's looks, but after watching some reviews about it, I think I could live with that ugly barrel/frame transition.

After some research, I think I'd go with the 454 over the 480 due to the extra power and versatility the 454 offers. I'm still considering the 460 or the 500, but I'd be lying if I said that the Ruger wasn't growing on me a bit.
    This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't discount the 480 on power alone. The 480 is run up to 48,000 psi, not a gentle giant. While the 454 Casull can run up to 60,000 psi, and often surpasses the 480 ruger on paper, most loadings I see for the 454 are reduced from that. Plus there is a slight diameter bonus to the 480, thus may run heavier bullets. It looks to me most people stop around 400 grains in the 454 Casull. The 480 is right at home with a 420 grain, maybe heavier.

I looked into one, and I too almost went with the 454 Casull for one reason. You can get the 5" Toklat. All other calibers are long barreled hunting guns. Shortening a barrel is not overly expensive, but I'd rather just buy one as I want.

After looking at a 454 vs 480 SRH, as well as a 500 JRH BFR, I realized I can't shoot my 44 magnum RH with proficiency, so I lived with my limitation. So my opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it, with no experience to back it up.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve killed as many grizzlies as they have me, so my opinion is merely based on shooting. I would take a .460 in a heart beat over its 500 sibling.

The 460 that I shot was all the power I could handle, the 500 was brutal. A 420 grain Boolit over a wheel barrow full of WW-296 left me with soft tissue injury in my right hand and wrist that took two weeks to heal up. As a result of a cycling accident years ago, my wrists are not what they once were. I can not avail myself to the power of the 500. A 320 grain 460 is the outside of endurable for me. And even that is more than I enjoy. Realistically, the 44 magnum or the Ruger-only 45 Colt is a better choice for me.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    I have both, both 7.5” (not like OP wants). Both are very manageable. With 500 you can go all the way to 700gr - that’s half a pound of lead in the cylinder . Full disclaimer: mine are just range guns, so I don’t carry them for long. Either one would work for OP purposes, so go with whichever “you need”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Haven't been eaten by a bear, but haven't had to defend against one either. But, I own a beautiful John Ross 500 and a Taurus 454. Please don't start a Taurus bash - I like mine, never any issues.
    That said, the 500 is not bad with factory loads (if you can afford $2 + a round) I reload for mine.
    Hot reloads with efficient (read heavy) boolets are BRUTAL !
    And if you don't practice (a lot) with the carry load, well.......................
    If you are going to load a 500 down , you may as well carry a smaller, lighter gun (454)
    A 454 with hot loads; reloads or Buffalo Bore, are not so bad to shoot (the grips on the Taurus are fantastic at recoil control). I would guess the Ruger with rubber grips not so bad either.
    The 500 is a "nich" gun; it's not for everyone. If you can handle it, with the monster loads - great. Most would be served with a 454, 480, HOT 44, etc. Those, put in the right place, on target will get the job done.
    I'll shoot my 454 all day with hot loads; the 500, not so much.
    On a lighter note: There are always special circumstances, but to paraphrase ; if you get into a furball with a bear - your tactics suck.
    Good luck with your choice, shoot the gun a LOT (with the carry load !!), be comfortable with it, be accurate with it.
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Boolit Master

Get a 4 5/8 or 5.5" 44 Mag or 45 Colt Ruger. I mostly carried a FA 4 3/4 454 after having tried a 7.5" 475 and a 6" 500. If you can carry it comfortably on your hip, you'll pack it. My 500 spent more time strapped to my wheeler tank or on the seat of the truck. The 475 wasn't to bad, the barrel was just alittle long for recreational fun.

The 454 is alittle overkill as I'm running Lee 310 about 1250 and trying to work up some MiHec 340s. A 4" DA is about right. Small and easy to carry. Consider the 10mm fire for black bear but the coastal browns deserve some respect. Personally, looking for a 4" 629 or a 44/45 Redhawk. Never really cared for the look of the Super Redhawk. Better trigger but the frame extension looks awful unless it is a 7.5 used as a hunting rig.

Boolit Master

Im a avid hand gun hunter with many years experience , IMO get a FA , Ruger or BFR single action revolver in 454 Casull or other caliber there a lot lighter than the X frame S&Ws or Taurus revolvers
    Ive have barrel lengths from 10" 7.5" and my favorite a 6".

Boolit Buddy
    Carrying any handgun that is readily capable of dispatching a Brown/Grizzly Bear is a challenge. In a lot of cases close bear encounters occur around water. Wearing hip boots, chest waders or rain gear relegates the carry options. Center of chest type holsters distribute the weight the best and are very accessible. Rain coats and jackets left open at the top allow quick easy access!

In regards to caliber, carry what you can handle competently. Hard cast bullets are a better choice. The standard factory hollow point loadings just don’t penetrate.
    Rick
    PS More people in Alaska are killed by Black Bears than Brown/Grizzly Bears

I'd rather carry a 6 pound 12 gauge pump shorty on a sling than a 5 pound handgun in a shoulder holster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I'd rather carry a 6 pound 12 gauge pump shorty on a sling than a 5 pound handgun in a shoulder holster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Carrying them both is a good setup.

If you are going to Alaska to fish, remember this, your hands will be wet and where I hang out on the Kenai, it normally rains a lot so your chances of dropping a hard kicking 500 are magnified by the wet. I know that a 454 will dispatch a bear because a man in Soldotna had to shoot an old bear that charged him while he and his dog were hiking pretty close to town and he used a 454 SRH Alaskan with the short barrel. Better leave the soft jacketed stuff at home and take solids or 300 gr cast with a good sharp meplat. I am thankful that I have never had to try my 629 on a bear mainly because when it comes to them, I am a devout coward. If they want my fishing spot, they got it! If you want a new gun, I am in your camp brother just remember to pactice--a lot. BTW, the suggestion for the chest rig is a good idea, if you are fishing. Make sure it's a stainless gun, mine has been in the Kenai River twice (along with my clumsy butt)!
    Last edited by murf205; 02-21-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

I might have the opportunity to go to Alaska later in the year, so I am using it as an excuse... I mean, I see a significant need for getting a bear defense gun.

After looking at a few, I am stuck between two choices. A 5" 460 S&W, and a 6" 500 Mag. The 460 seems more versatile since I can shoot 45 Colt and 454 Casull in it too, but the 500 is the epitome of knockdown power as far as handguns go. 500 Special is also an option for those days that I don't feel like trying to rip my hands off at the wrist. The guns themselves are basically the same. The 6" is a half lug which I will admit is more my style since I love that classic look, but there is nothing wrong with the 5". I don't feel that there would be that much of a advantage/disadvantage to going with the 5" over the 6" or vice versa. They both also have a factory compensator.

I don't know which one I want. At first I thought I wanted the 460 more, but the more I look at the 500, the more I want it instead. What do you guys think?
    Splitting hairs ain't cha boss !
    Either will do in a pinch...me personally lean to the 460 myself...but that's just me .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master

Just my opinion but the two more pertinent questions should be first what is a realistic threat assessment? Second what is a realistic carry method? That will determine what you should carry.

Standing in a river fishing? Doing manual work? Hiking? Camping? Something else?

For me based on my activities hip carry is the most workable. X-frames in my opinion are to heavy for extended hip carry (12+ hours a day for 3 weeks straight). That being said when I go berry picking I borrow my guides friends 338 Win Mag. For bear guiding he uses a 375 H&H after the .338 proved marginal on a couple of client wounded bear charges. He has witnessed hundreds of grizzly bear kills. The two cartridges that is has the most respect for for large bears are the 375 H&H and the 338 Lapua Mag.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I'd haul around an 8" or 10" barreled .458socom AR with a sling before a hand cannon that size. And I'd have 11+1 (420gr big metplat solids) in a standard mag, that is quickly changeable. On top the handgun, for a decent holster like the Diamond D guides choice you are looking at another $200.
    Last edited by dkf; 02-21-2020 at 10:21 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast