WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee hand primer (old model)

Boolit Master

Lee hand primer (old model)

My old Lee hand primer wants to double-feed. This causes jams. I seem to recollect something about using a piece of paper to rectify this. Anyone know how that worked? Thanks!
    R.D.M.

yes, you get a $20 bill and buy a new one. Ha, I had to say it

hey, watch where ya point that thing!

Boolit Master

as in one on top of the other or 2 side by side. if on top of each other a new top is needed and there is a guy on here that 3d prints new tops. if its side by side you could use hot melt glue to build up the worn down parts.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    LMAO Tears squirting out my eyes.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by enfield View Post
    Probably what will happen. The small primer option still works OK so I may just dedicate the old unit to those.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Grand Master

I've never had this problem with mine. Just looking at it, the only way I can see a double feed is if the channel is too tall, such that they can stack on top of each other, is that correct? Or does the push rod sit too low? If it's the former, an easy fix I see is to file the top of the channel, and possibly the "I" mounting beam on the back of the plastic tray, such that it sits up a little higher in the unit.

I don't think I'd recommend the new lee primers, they jam up and misfeed all the time for me. If you can keep the old one going, I'd keep it

Boolit Master
    I like the old one also. But my small tray is almost complete wore out. I don’t know how many thousands of primers it has seated. But the new one I bought sits in the junk drawer always jamming

Boolit Master
    I fear the day my old Lee hand primer quits. Maybe somebody should start a thread reporting on their experiences with different brands of hand primers?

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

Boolit Grand Master

I bought a brand new Lee hand primer. It was so bad that I one point I had thrown it out the door, right into the yard. It sat there for a few days before someone had said theirs works. So I brought it in, and called Lee. They sent me new feeders assembly's and trays free of charge.

That must have been a year a go or more, and I've primed thousands of cases with it without a single problem. I even prefer the new tray to the old round.

That said, it is asinine that it was a problem to begin with. What an over engineered marvel. If they ever come out with an old style, no feeder style primer, that also took the new detachable primer trays, I'd buy 5.

Thankfully I got my old round tray primer working too. The new handles fit the old units, if yours is starting to wear out, and not seat primers fully, this will fix it.

Boolit Master
    I have two of the old model Lee hand primers and I love 'em. One day the plastic cover for one broke into several pieces. Too old I guess. Ed on this site was kind enough to make me another cover and I am sure it will outlast me. A friend gave me an RCBS hand primer and while it worked very well, my hands are just not big enough to use it for more than a few minutes.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master

I have the parts for the old style in my shop, minus the cover (broke). I will put them into the S&S area, up for grabs. Bought it 20 years ago!
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

I got started with Lee equipment and looked at a new Lee hand primer... No. I borrowed an old one and it was a lot better. Then I bought an RCBS hand primer and LOVE it! But as mentioned above, it doesn't fit well for small hands..
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

The reason I had to buy the new style was my old had worn the connecting rod inside the handle, thereby not allowing the primers to seat deep enough. This rod is zinc or zamak or something. I found another old style at a gunshow and am sure to keep a little grease on this piece.

Boolit Grand Master

When the new folding tray " New Auto-Prime" units came out I bought one , the "New" folding tray and it's feeding mechanism don't work very well .
    I put it back in the box and installed the little Ram Prime Unit in a Hand Press and have had 0 feeding problems . Ram Prime on Hand Press ...10 , the new folding tray Auto-Prime ... sucks rocks .

Maybe Lee will recall this defective model and I will send it back .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    After seating tons of primers my old Lee hand primer (round tray) just wore out. Bought a new one (square tray) and it was clumsy and hard to use so I ditched it. I searched ebay for a new old stock old model and bought it...best thing I ever did. And Lee will not service nor sell parts for the old model due to some sort of liability issues when abused.

Boolit Buddy
    I have two of the Lee old style hand primers and 1 1/2 of the new square one (new trays from Lee). While both have 'issues'. The old style are the most reliable and are dedicated to small and large primers. I have used the new style and while it is functional, I think the old style is faster. Judicious lubrication with a silicone grease of the pivot points is highly recommended.
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Frankford Arsenal priming tool works like the old Lee but built of better materials. Costs more, but you only need one and it comes with all the shellholders.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't know which one you are referring to as the "old style" - but I started out with a Lee hand primer and started having some issues with it - IIRC you can buy update parts that will basically be a rebuild that allows you to then use their newer primer trays as well. I not longer have mine - i bought the parts from Titan and gave the hand primer to a young fellow, along with a bunch of other stuff, to get him started in reloading. After I bought a Frankford Arsenal hand prime, I have never looked back. In fact, I like it so ,much that I just bought another one to have out here in AZ for when we are here in the winters.

Boolit Grand Master

My old hand primer only takes one primer at a time, you put them in the holder and squeeze the aluminium handle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast