Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: springfield armory model 1922 training rifle

Boolit Master

springfield armory model 1922 training rifle

does anyone know if the 1903 stock will work on the 1922 training rifle

I always thought that they would and had planned to put my 1922M2 into a full 03 stock but after doing a remilitarize build on a bubba’ed 21 inch o3 and a sporterized Mk1 I’m going to leave my .22 as I bought it. Working towards a target 1903 build to match the M2 if my donor rifle ever gets here.

Boolit Master
    my friend brought this 1922 over today to see if we could find a stock and magazine for it.he has neither,its in pretty nice shape for its age,he inherited it as is

Make sure you get the right mag as the early M1 guns mags supposedly don’t feed well in the later M2 rifles. Good luck on your friends rifle. I enjoy mine a lot.

Boolit Master
    When you say "1922" is it a real M1922, a M1922 M1, or an M2? M1922's are scarce as hen's teeth, unaltered M1's almost as rare as most all were upgraded to M2 configuration.

Yes and no about the stock swap. The .22 barrel is a little thicker. Not much but enough to require re-inletting the barrel channel in the stock. The 1903 stock will be inlet for the rear sight collar, said inlet being an eyesore if not filled in around a barrel without one such as with the M2 barrel. Significant wood will need to be removed to accommodate the Lyman 48 receiver sight on a .22. You'll need a barrel band- the 1903 barrel band works on a handguard, the M2 barrel band clamps directly around the barrel- and they ain't cheap.

That's the basics. If you want to be totally correct you'll need a coarse checkered butt plate, and they're scarce. Of course other '03 butt plates work just as well. My sympathies if it's a M1922 and you want to configure it correctly- those stocks just don't exist (Style-T's and other specialized target guns used them too, plus NRA Sporter stocks are nigh the same), and the only model it shares a common butt plate with is the NRA Sporter and the specialty target rifles.

Yeah, the magazines are very specific to their models, and uncommonly found anymore. Awfully expensive too, be sure to get the correct one.

Personally I would have a custom stock made but that's not exactly cheap either. Then you're still faced with rounding up the correct stock furniture (band, butt plate,etc.)

You didn't say if the correct floor plate with magazine catch is with the thing. If not, there's another hassle/expense.

Sounds daunting, and it is a little, but it's not rocket science. If your friend is into it cheaply enough then it would be worth throwing some money at correct original parts in order to have the fun of restoring it. The guns are worth every nickel and drop of sweat as such, IMO. Bear in mind in this day and age, M2's are fetching $1K-$2K depending on condition, M1's significantly more, and M1922's a heckuva lot more. Good luck!
    Last edited by gnoahhh; 02-19-2020 at 09:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    ill post a few pics in a bit,yes it has the correct floor plate with magazine catch

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	549C0F27-8668-4D38-891E-CAA14F13EA25.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	257166

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0693B9CA-3B01-4629-9D09-96CE4CF3D1B1.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	257167

Boolit Master
    It would appear from the pic that it's an unaltered M1. (M1's reconfigured to M2 were given a stamped "I" after the "1" in M1.) The bolt would tell the tale as that was the main difference. That and the magazine.

If you forge ahead with the rebuild, I would strongly suggest Brophy's book on the Springfield. He went into the details of the designs in much deeper detail than what I touched on. Springfield .22's are a fascinating subject on their own!

Another approach would be to build a sporter with a nice piece of walnut in a classic design. Purely elegant in their own right, and nobody would fault you (except maybe those who worship at the throne of the milsurp gods!).

Boolit Master
    No bolt in the gun? Uh oh.

Boolit Master
    hes purty sure he has the bolt,if not I found one for 200.00.i hope we don't have to go that route,he wants to build it and said he'd like to take it slow and find all the right parts

Boolit Master
    the barrel is stamped 4-26 so 2nd year 1922m1,ive found quite a bit about them online and numrich seams to have a few parts we might need,thanks for the info gnoahhh and the name of the book.baltimoreed thank you for the info also.ill post as we find parts or progress on this project