RepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Video Powder Cop

Video Powder Cop

I enjoyed Digger's homemade powder cop thread. Great for most of us.

For me, more challenged in the area of looking every time, normal powder cops just weren't idiot proof enough. So I started looking for other options. I needed something in my face that I wouldn't likely ignore.

I found something like this: https://www.walmart.com/ip/FAGINEY-5...saAsBnEALw_wcB

Just found this from "Wish" which is similar.....but includes a 4.3" monitor....smaller but....
    https://www.wish.com/product/5d3fe26...MaAozwEALw_wcB

Then made this:

Attachment 257045
    Attachment 257046
    Attachment 257047
    Attachment 257048
    Attachment 257049
    Last edited by GWS; 02-21-2020 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Remove eBay link

Boolit Master
    That looks like $40.00 well spent nice job.

Boolit Buddy
    This is a great idea. I have one of those 12.99 borescope thingers from ebay in USB. I bet I can use that just like the one you did, although simply plugged into my old tablet.

Thanks

Yes, Dimner, I'm sure the USB versions will work just as well. Tablet, or even a Kindle with it ought to work great.....in fact that's where I got the idea, as I have a USB bore scope I use for finding roof leaks, and plumbing problems behind closed spaces.....the bore scope has LED lighting built in.

I bought what I did because I wanted to have a permanent setup. In fact I made one for both my progressives....the Pro Chucker Seven uses the bore scope, while the Pro 2000 uses a backup pinhole camera, both using the same monitor which pivots between presses. Of course it's combined with my lighting setup on both presses, although the left press lighting was "tacked" in place temporarily at the time.

Video of how it works below:

Last edited by GWS; 02-19-2020 at 11:32 PM.

I bought the RCBS Lock Out die just for that reason. I didn't want to have to look at another thing while everything else was going on when I pull the press handle. The Lock Out die does just that, it locks up the press when there's no powder, or a double charge. Without clearing the reason the die locked up the press, you can't move forward. And it does it whether I'm looking at it, or not.......

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Yes, I have one of those I haven't tried yet. Too bad they only work for straight pistol brass. Maybe someday they'll figure out such a thing for bottleneck brass......meantime.....video works if its in your face where you can't ignore it. I heard Hornady makes a lockout die for straight wall cases now too.

I load pistol on my 5 station press, and rifle on my 7 station press. On the five station press, the video I posted shows that its powder cop doesn't even use a station, which means I can use a bullet feeder, and seat and crimp in separate stations........that's why I haven't used the Lockout Die.

The seven station press has plenty of stations so that's why I put the camera in a die and use a station. the first picture is looking into a .308 case.

BTW.....why would Pressman remove the Ebay link from my first post that was only sharing my bore scope source with forum members? Confused....
    Last edited by GWS; 02-20-2020 at 02:06 AM.

Ebay links are not allowed on this site at all. When found, they'll be deleted, and if posted again, will invoke an infraction.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Grand Master
    I think like ReloaderFred. A visual method will not work for me. I use the Dillon powder check die and find it does a good job. $80 is cheap insurance IMHO. Not sure if it will work on other presses, but all I have are Dillons.

The downside is needing to set it up if you load different loads and/or calibers. I typically load 300-1000 at a time so it is not too bad. I can see the camera being nice to check if you dropped a charge, but it will not be easy to tell if it is a bit over or under. The Dillon will do both. Also, my only experience is with pistol calibers. Arguably a more dangerous application as double charges are possible. Almost impossible to get a double charge on a Dillon progressive unless the operator really screws up. I have never had a double charge. I used to get a couple of squib loads a year when I was loading 20k a year and that was why I got the powder check. Have not had a squib since then and have loaded over 50k rounds using it.

Good idea to have a way to check that works for you.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by GWS View Post
    Yes, I have one of those I haven't tried yet. Too bad they only work for straight pistol brass. Maybe someday they'll figure out such a thing for bottleneck brass......meantime.....video works if its in your face where you can't ignore it. I heard Hornady makes a lockout die for straight wall cases now too.

I load pistol on my 5 station press, and rifle on my 7 station press. On the five station press, the video I posted shows that its powder cop doesn't even use a station, which means I can use a bullet feeder, and seat and crimp in separate stations........that's why I haven't used the Lockout Die.

The seven station press has plenty of stations so that's why I put the camera in a die and use a station. the first picture is looking into a .308 case.

BTW.....why would Pressman remove the Ebay link from my first post that was only sharing my bore scope source with forum members? Confused....
    Was there a way to save the picture without the Ebay reference? You probably could right click on the picture and save it to a file and then post only the picture. I don't think a picture without a direct reference to Ebay would be a infraction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pin hole camera.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	257180

I've attached what I believe to be a similar camera that is available to the public from various vendors. From the picture I saw of his reloader this looks similar. Its a pretty basic design. Note there is NO EBAY reference number or reference to EBAY with respect to this picture therefore it should satisfy the forums rules in my humble opinion. There are also USB variants that are available from different vendors.
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 02-20-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Banned
    I realize this is a thread about a video type of powder checker but making some type of powder cop is an easy thing to do using a simple spring loaded plunger.

Very nice work there GWS !
    It is much easier to fool people ,
    than to convince them they have been fooled !

If you can read this , thank a teacher ...
    If you can read this in English , .. thank a Vet !

Banned
    I like the concept a unique refreshing idea to implement.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I bought the RCBS Lock Out die just for that reason. I didn't want to have to look at another thing while everything else was going on when I pull the press handle. The Lock Out die does just that, it locks up the press when there's no powder, or a double charge. Without clearing the reason the die locked up the press, you can't move forward. And it does it whether I'm looking at it, or not.......

Hope this helps.

Fred
    If I'm not mistaken the idea should be to teach people how to load properly while watching what they are doing. While it does work it really only teaches someone they really don't have to watch what they are doing because now they have a safety net a lock out.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I think like ReloaderFred. A visual method will not work for me. I use the Dillon powder check die and find it does a good job. $80 is cheap insurance IMHO. Not sure if it will work on other presses, but all I have are Dillons.

The downside is needing to set it up if you load different loads and/or calibers. I typically load 300-1000 at a time so it is not too bad. I can see the camera being nice to check if you dropped a charge, but it will not be easy to tell if it is a bit over or under. The Dillon will do both. Also, my only experience is with pistol calibers. Arguably a more dangerous application as double charges are possible. Almost impossible to get a double charge on a Dillon progressive unless the operator really screws up. I have never had a double charge. I used to get a couple of squib loads a year when I was loading 20k a year and that was why I got the powder check. Have not had a squib since then and have loaded over 50k rounds using it.

Good idea to have a way to check that works for you.
    I guess I could argue all day until I'm blue in the face about learning how to reload properly. This means no smoking, drinking,watching TV, or radio. This is the way I learned many years ago. I have embraced the concept of the camera simply because it teaches focus on what your doing. With a little practice you can easily recognize a difference in powder height in the case of a double charge or a lack of powder in the case of a less than satisfactory charge. In not that much different than a visual sighting of the powder level...something that a lot of us do now with the utilization of a small mirror.

I'm not going to argue the different methods, since each person has their own preferences, and I won't try to tell another reloader how "it should be done".

I will state that I've been reloading for over 57 years, with well over 800,000 rounds of ammunition in 33 different calibers loaded, so far. I load around 10,000 to 15,000 rounds per year at the present time. I shoot competitively, as does my wife, so we go through a lot of ammunition. The RCBS Lock Out die works for me. It may not work for someone else, but I'm not going to try to tell anyone else they have to use it. My shop, my rules.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    If I'm not mistaken the idea should be to teach people how to load properly while watching what they are doing. While it does work it really only teaches someone they really don't have to watch what they are doing because now they have a safety net a lock out.
    I’m of the opinion that devices which allow us to free up mental bandwidth by taking some of our focus and automating it does in fact increase safety because it allows us to focus on other aspects longer and with more energy. If our only job was to check powder height when loading then we wouldn’t need a camera or check die because as our only job it would be easy. But we are looking at a lot of places when using a progressive press. So, letting a system take some of that work isn’t cheating, or slacking, it’s adding safety by giving us more bandwidth back.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    Ebay links are not allowed on this site at all. When found, they'll be deleted, and if posted again, will invoke an infraction.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Ahhhh! Ours is not to question why, ours is to do or die!

Certainly was not trying to do an infraction, nor cause a war. I was just attempting to show another option. As for #bay links not being allowed on this site at all.....where is such a warning?

I found this in forum rules:
    The Swapping and Selling sub-forum and the group buys sub-forum have some additional rules members need to be aware of before using it.
    1.) Access to the swapping and selling area is restricted to members who do not meet the requirements. This again is a necessary restriction to prevent spammers and people who just wish to hawk their wares without being true “Members” of the site.
    2.) We also do not allow Ebay links,plugs, or notices on Swapping and selling.
    .....but as far as I understand the reloading forum is not the Swapping and Selling sub-forum.....or is it? Nor was I trying to sell something, but I'm pretty new here....did not know I was causing WW3.

I'm not nearly as experienced as you are......only 45 years reloading, but I'm not exactly dumb either....I think the Lock-out die is a pretty good option for pistol or even straight wall rifle.....but it's not the only option.....and it isn't an option at all on rifle bottleneck reloading.

Also I think the Dillon's beeping powder cop is a pretty good tool too........for Dillons. Us folks using "lesser" technology would have to drill a hole in our press castings to use that......not going to do that when there is a better easier option.

Last point: Name any other option that doesn't use a station up like the video cop version I use on the left press (see video). That allows all stations to be used for something else. My pro 2000 only has 5 stations. 1. Case feeder/sizer/deprimer, 2. powder drop/expander, 3. bullet feeder, 4. Seater 5.Crimper. And that's the way I like it......the video powder cop is gravy....no station required.

Why did I go to the trouble? One word, safety. I've never had any squibs in 45 years.....but I've only been loading on a progressive for 11 years.....and I really don't want my first one using a progressive either.

If this thread is too controversial for this forum.....do delete the thread and I'll disappear.....I am NOT here to be a troublemaker......just wanted to help out and share another idea with other reloaders. The resistance to it was a total surprise. Sincerely sorry.
    Last edited by GWS; 02-20-2020 at 09:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew P View Post
    I’m of the opinion that devices which allow us to free up mental bandwidth by taking some of our focus and automating it does in fact increase safety because it allows us to focus on other aspects longer and with more energy. If our only job was to check powder height when loading then we wouldn’t need a camera or check die because as our only job it would be easy. But we are looking at a lot of places when using a progressive press. So, letting a system take some of that work isn’t cheating, or slacking, it’s adding safety by giving us more bandwidth back.
    Thank you Drew! You hit the nail on the head from my point of view!

I picked the Pro 2000 when I decided to go progressive, and it came with no options for a case feeder or a bullet feeder........but then it also was a manual advance tool upgrade-able to auto advance. I got tired of manual advance real fast and bought the auto-advance kit after the first 2 weeks. So much better, but the down side was suddenly I had to keep track of a lot of stuff at once at a stressful speed, for me at least.

Having to place a case, and a bullet, and watch powder levels in both the hopper and each case.....and watch the APS primer strips so to daisy chain them every 25 pulls of the lever was stressful. I admit to not being as good a mind juggler as many of you....for sure you young guys.

My first attempt at alleviation was buying a Hornady pistol bullet feeder. That helped a lot, and convinced me that feeders could be the salve for my overwhelmed thinker and frayed nerves.

Next step was building a home made case feeder since RCBS didn't make one. That was successful as well.

But that did nothing to help me watch powder levels.....hence I went looking for a cure. Since I load rifle as much as I load pistol, I really wanted the cure to work for both.
    Last edited by GWS; 02-20-2020 at 11:21 PM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DB012BEE-B0F1-4AAF-844B-53CEBF22A603.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	257248Click image for larger version. 

Name:	86998EBE-66A3-4E76-81B8-B28EB14F959B.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	257249

Here’s how I did mine. It’s just on a long wire and a magnet on the other end so I can swing it out of the way easily and adjust it’s position when needed. I don’t really use it that much to be honest. The main problem is that to me, looking down the case only tells you if it has no powder, it’s too hard to tell the height of the powder like the lockout dies do. Even a double charge is a little hard to differentiate on some bigger cases. But, it’s cool and doesn’t take a station. I’d rather have a powder cop or lockout die but I can’t spare a station for one. These silly press makers still think 5 is enough.

Boolit Master
    As far as I am concerned any method that makes it simpler and safer is a good idea.
    Personally I like to see the powder in the case. I like the camera it would give me more options on how I position myself at the press instead of the press telling me where I have to be to see into the charged case.
    Great idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast