RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PC not working for me.

Glad the baggy way was of help.
    I had to warm my bullets to get orange to stick

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    Glad the baggy way was of help.
    I had to warm my bullets to get orange to stick
    Orange didn't work with the baggie method just the purple worked.
    I will try the orange with the bbs and failing that I will heat the bullets.

Boolit Master

I loaded my oven with lava rock. It helps allot with even heat but needs to be warmed. So I run the oven full timer before first bake. I keep two baskets on top and warm bullets in there before coating. It absolutely helps! My bullets make it just over 100-110 degrees sitting up there. You don’t want them so hot that it melts powder. Just warm “enough”. I have read powder also should be 68-72 for best results. My powder is cold in I heated garage.

Read about tumbler use for years. But DREAD that clean up and I use DOZENS of color combos so nope not me!! Never thought of a zip Lock! I gotta try that. Maybe double just because.

Good luck

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

It maybe just blind luck, but I've had great luck with Smoke's traffic orange using the ASBB method.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0207201313_Film1.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	79.2 KB 
ID:	257127
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0208200907_Film1.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	257128

Read about tumbler use for years. But DREAD that clean up and I use DOZENS of color combos so nope not me!! Never thought of a zip Lock! I gotta try that. Maybe double just because.

Good luck

CW
    I would recommend double bag especially if you are using the cheap dollar store sandwich bags like me.
    Seems to make some tiny cuts in the bag when tumbling.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevins750 View Post
    the orange is not sticking at all. I did clean about a 2 dozen 160gr with rubbing alcohol but let them dry for hours. I am in California so no humidity.
    I am in Socal, about 15m from the beach, & have no issues shake & bake. I use a #5 w/ ASBB, 30sec shake & then bake. A good powder like one from Smoke or powder by the # works fine, including Smokes traffic orange. Good coverage, smooth & glossy. I do stand them up for baking, use plastic ammo trays for a jig, way faster than by hand.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Some powders will not "static cling"! I have been doing this since we all started researching it back in 2013 or so. The shake-n-bake method works for MOST powders. Smokes stuff works because he tests it! But if you go off buying odd brands and weird color and finishes, no guarantees.

I now stick with (pun intended) ESPC for everything, because EVERY powder works with that method because they was engineered to be applied with a corona static spray gun...........not a silly little#5 plastic tub!

Stick with proven powders listed on here. And you really do NOT need to use a tumbler. 30-45 seconds hand-shaken REAL HARD in a CoolWhip container is all I ever used and always got PERFECT smooth finishes.

bangerjim

Smokes powder showed up so I will be trying the shake and bake method first, then with BB's.

SMOKES WORKED. Tumbled for just a few seconds and had excellent coverage and shiney melted powder.
    Last edited by Kevins750; 02-21-2020 at 11:28 PM.

I could never get good results. Switched to HiTek and have been very happy ever since. Much easier, like much much much easier.

Boolit Mold
    I've often wondered if many problems with poor adhesion of the powder is due to the the tumbling container or media rather than the powder.

I've not had problems with dry tumbling HF Red and Eastwood powders. And yes, we have humid, rainy days in Arizona too

I use only unused polypropylene containers that have not been washed. This means they have never had soap, dawn, dishwasher detergent, water, alcohol, moistened wipes, or even Cool Whip in them. I just keep the containers covered and segregated and never washed.

I am more and more convinced that many people's problems are due to something affecting the surface charge of their container, not their technique.

Has anyone else looked at it from this angle?

I use a clear #5 container from the dollar store. never touched anything inside it before powder and bullets went in. harbor freight white and the eastwood orange
    will not stick on 60% of the bullet bodies I have tumbled in it.

same tub and bullets with same tumbling method eastwood clear purple and ALL SMOKES powders cover well.

I have heated some bullets and dropped them in the tub with powders one at a time and they worked, but takes way to long.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    The translucent purple needs to go over a base color such as silver or chrome. It comes out like you said otherwise.
    The bullets are coated with a clear finish and blutchy purple otherwise but they are fully coated and can be use,they are just not that pretty.
    Aha - I was wondering why my Purple ones were coming out blotchy - but I do have a bunch that I coated in Chrome beforehand, so I've re-coated those in the Purple and busy baking them now.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Boolit Master

Nope - still blotchy. No biggie, they'll shoot just fine.
    My Iraq Pics

Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12