Reloading EverythingRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Lead in the Swappin/sellin forum

Lead in the Swappin/sellin forum

Has any of you fine folks ever try posting lead for trade in the swapping and selling? I have some SOWW and some pure lead flashing that I don't want to mess up. I know pure or COWW are used by many Muzzle loaders or black powder shooters but I don't personally know any.

I don't want to post it up in the Swap/sell forum if it's not going to get looked at or go any where..

BTW let's not violate the rules and try to deal here I don't want anyone to get into hot water.

I've seen it sell there, though I don't know the going price.

See what the currant market is, then post what ya got on S & S and go from there.

that's what its for.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

This may be the stretch but I am more thinking of trading it than selling it. Trade for COWW or cleaned range scrap. So know I don't know either what the value of a more pure lead is. I didn't pay for this and am not looking to make a profit on it either. Which is why I'm thinking to trade it to someone that can actually use it the way it is w/o having to alloy it.

Boolit Buddy
    Have you thought about blending 50/50? I've started to do that to stretch out the COWW and also reduce the hardness. Back to your initial question, if each is willing to pay for shipping maybe a 1:1 trade would be reasonable.

I have thought about that only my thinking is 50/50 range scrap and COWW.

Boolit Grand Master

Over the last few years I've seen it selling for $1 a pound pretty consistently. Much more than that it seems to sit there. The different type metals (as in print) seem to sell for $2 a pound. Both of these prices are plus shipping. Trading is more difficult but post it up and see what happens.

Plain soft lead and COWW's tend to run the same $1 a pound +/- a bit. Plus shipping. Larger market for the harder COWW's than plain but OP is correct the muzzle loaders do need the plain soft lead. Some revolvers or 45 ACP will do better with a mix of COWW's and plain. Typically a 50/50 mix, plus a bit of tin from solder or pewter.

Size makes a difference too. Small Flat Fate Box is close to $8 shipping. Holds less than 30# while a Medium Flat Rate Box can handle 65# for $13 and change shipping. So from the standpoint of maximum lead for minimum shipping the MFRB is the better choice. However people don't always need or want that much muzzle loader lead so the less costly SFRB might generate more interested swappers or buyers.

If you can swap fine, if you can sell for a buck a pound you can buy something you can use such as COWW's with the proceeds at pretty much the same price.

Cost nothing to try, swapping is all about the two parties getting something they can use for fair exchange. That negotiation is probably best done via Private Messages rather than posting to the thread.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Well once again this is why I'm asking. My understanding was that pure or near pure lead was harder to find so maybe I was wrong. Also I have never bought lead of any kind so. I know on here there are a few that sell cleaned ingots for about $1.00 per lb. either COWW or now more Range Scrap. While watching ebay I see it from mostly $1.00 per lb. start to others that are over $2.00, again plus shipping.

Really would like to find a BP or Muzzle loader that would like this stuff. So far I'm not reading much encouragement from the group.

Alloying the lead is of no concern for most of us. You shouldn't care where it goes or what people have to do to use it. I mix lead almost every time I cast. Post it, someone will jump on it. I could even use it. I have a large quantity of lino that I have to mix with softer lead.

Quote Originally Posted by rototerrier View Post
    Alloying the lead is of no concern for most of us. You shouldn't care where it goes or what people have to do to use it. .
    I guess it's just my perspective then because here in Wisconsin Lead is difficult to come by because Lead WW have been outlawed and unavailable in Illinois for years, the scrap dealers/recyclers will not sell it to the general public because it has been classified as a Hazardous Material so that also eliminates that source. Every tire dealer that I've talked to already has someone picking up their scrap WW's as do most of the gun ranges.