Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rotary/wet tumbler users...

Boolit Bub
    [/QUOTE]

Is this made with what looks to me as being an ice cream maker motor?
    I like it

I'll be dogged, that is an icecream churn motor! Beats the cobbled together thing I was working on.

Boolit Master
    Hot water, car wash and wax and citric acid. No pins, primers in. Tumble in a FART for 90 minutes, several water rinses, spin in the media separator to knock out most of the water, towel hammock to dry the exteriors and onto a wire screen to air dry in the sun if there is any; the screen goes over a floor vent in my house in the winter.

Just got a Lee APP along with the universal decapper, so maybe I'll try cleaning deprimed cases, not so much to get the pockets clean as to see if the cases drain water and dry faster.

Boolit Master
    Approx. 1 1/2 gal water, 1 teaspoon Armor-all Wash & wax, 1 teaspoon citric acid. 10 #pins. Will do 8-900 .40 S&W or 300 -06. Tumble 2 hrs, dump water in a colander and pins in a Dillon separator filled with water. Turn for a couple of minutes to remove pins. Then dump in a towel and roll back and forth a few times. then lay on a cookie sheet and let dry in the sun for a couple of hours.

Boolit Master

I tumble in a Lyman Cyclone.
    Brass goes in.
    Water filled in to near the top.
    1/2 Tsp. of citric acid.
    A few drops of Dawn detergent.
    Tumble until clean and shiny.
    Separate pins.
    Rinse 3-4 times in clean water.
    Dried in dehydrator in the winter.
    Dried on a dark colored towel in the sun on the sidewalk in the summer...dale

I bought an old tumbler motor assembly without a tub. I just went to Home Depot and picked up a 1 gallon metal paint can with a lid. Ground off the handle "knobs" from the side of the can, added a piece of angle iron on the inside and waterproofed with JB weld on the outside rivets. Then add water/pins/brass and let it roll. I put two large rubber bands on the outside of the can to assist with some grip on the tumbler rollers.

To dry...I use an old Midway separator colander...shake, shake, shake...pins fall into a bucket. Rinse in clean water then layout my brass to air-dry. put the SS pins on paper towels and let them air-dry. Store the dried pins back in the paint can until the next time.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

HF Rock Tumbler

I too use the double tumbler from HF like tankgunner (were you really?) thats cool. But I couldn't leave well enough alone. I got a 4"id piece of PVC and cut it to length. Glued a cap on one end and bought the Oatey gripper cap for the open end. Applied a piece of stair tread tape to help it rotate. 2# of SS pins, Dawn soap, Citric Acid and fill it full of brass. I usually leave it tumbling overnight so I don't have to listen to it. Then as i referred in a previous post I lay the brass out on a towel with the hairdryer at one end. Then fold over to make a "tunnel" Rotate brass once or twice and in less than 5 min you got hot dry brass. It has to cool before I can can bag it up. Also Ill dry the SS pins this way too.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0218.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	257581Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0219.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	33.5 KB 
ID:	257582Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0220.JPG 
Views:	23 
Size:	38.9 KB 
ID:	257583Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0224.JPG 
Views:	25 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	257584Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0222.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	257588
    Last edited by nccaster77; 02-28-2020 at 02:14 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Media separation is MUCH easier if the cases are full of water. If the cases are not under water, the media clings inside them and it is a pain checking each case, especially when you do big loads. I use the big Dillon separator but fill the tub with water. When you spin the basket, the pins all fall out, even out of flash holes. That surface tension of the water really hangs onto the pins because their surface is quite large.

To dry them, I dump them out onto large towels and toss another towel over them and just rub them out. You might want to move to another towel when the first ones get wet. If it's sunny outside, the go onto the outside table on the deck and it takes even less effort. Towels help prevent water spots left by drops of water. Rubbing them on the towels remove all of the external water. On cold days, I've been known to toss them on cookie sheets in the oven set as low as it will go.

My main goal is to find a method to do the greatest number of cases with the least amount of handling individual cases as possible.

I use a big Lortone tumbler and do batches of about 25 pounds at a time and it's all straight walled pistol brass, no rifle brass.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    2 Gal DIY system: Wash with 1/2 tsp lemishine 2 tsp dawn 7# pins.

when done rinse well remove pins in dry media separator

dunk in of water -w- carwash/wax -- lightly rinse

dry media separator al excess water

dump on a towel, make "hammock and shake them back and forth to dry outside

put in cheap food dehydrator from a thrift store

That looks like you are loading a Lewis gun.

Boolit Buddy
    I use warm water, a little bit of laundry detergent, some baking soda and a handful of cloth strips. I used to dry cases on a towel in the sun, but recently got a Lyman case dryer. It's much faster with the dryer.

I bought my citric acid on eBay for photo develeoping . Before that if I wasn't selling brass i didnt worry about dullness unless I was selling brass then just.used a bit of lemon coolaide from the packages (No sugar). Lots.of.ciric.acid.in coolaide.

Boolit Bub

I run 2 Thumbler tumblers to clean, I use Dawn Ultra dish soap, Citric acid (my brother used to work at a nursery and got me a 20# bag of the stuff for near nothing). I use an old small Dillon media separator to get most the pins out, quick swish in clean water and into a small Dillon tumbler with corn cob and polish/carnuba wax for 20-30 mins.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12