RotoMetals2Inline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox

Thread: Which Clays?

Which Clays?

From the descriptions there seems to be two Clays powders, so which one is recommended for 45 acp? I can’t find Titegroup locally but one jug of Clays, I think, universal.
    Many thanks
    Barry

Clays & UNiversal as they are known in they reloading manuals. Both are suitable for 45acp, Clays is faster then TG. One of the dumbest things Hodgson did in naming powders. They should have completely diff names to avoid confusion.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

My jug of universal Clays has data for 45 acp and shotgun loads. I think i saw clays international somewhere too. I do not use it because of the confusion
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Grand Master

IIRC - There is Clays, Universal Clays and Clay Dot. I use Plain old Hogdon Clays in my 45.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

When you think of Universal Clays think "Unique", almost the same burning rate.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master

The Bullseye shooters use Clays. It is excellent powder but it is a flake powder and does not meter as well as some others.

Boolit Buddy

Cool

IIRC - There is Clays, Universal Clays and Clay Dot. I use Plain old Hogdon Clays in my 45.
    There is no such powder as “Universal Clays”, Hodgdon dropped that name over a decade ago to avoid the obvious confusion. One of their “Clays Technology” powders.

“Clay Dot” is another confusing name, but this one is an Alliant powder. There is no logic in this place......

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 528943D1-93FB-460F-8A7C-4B7657E2DA28.jpg   01464D35-29F6-4937-8B4A-219EDCF1ADE0.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by fredj338 View Post
    Clays & UNiversal as they are known in they reloading manuals. Both are suitable for 45acp, Clays is faster then TG. One of the dumbest things Hodgson did in naming powders. They should have completely diff names to avoid confusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    My jug of universal Clays has data for 45 acp and shotgun loads. I think i saw clays international somewhere too. I do not use it because of the confusion

Yes, their original packaging was very confusing. The current label could still use some improvement. BUT....
    Not much more confusing than Winchester 231, 244, 296, 452, 680, 748, etc. Or Alliant Reloder7 thru Re20something... I have no idea which of those are their latest temperature insensitive formulations, but you can bet if I plan on using them, I'll do the research to get the information I need to use the correct powder.

Not any different than "Clays Technology". Supposed to be cleaner burning and less temp sensitive... seems to work for me.

I think of them as substitutes for other powders with similar burn rates... Clays instead of Bullseye, International instead of Green Dot, Universal instead of Unique. Not 1:1 replacements but suitable for the same applications, only better, with very few exceptions.

Do your homework before you buy any powder you're not familiar with.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

No wishing to revive old threads but my jug of Clays says for 45acp you can use 5.2 gr powder 154gr cast LSWC Col 1.230 which will give a velocity of 1082fp

Boolit Buddy
    This thread was started this afternoon.....when did it become “old”?

There is a similar thread from 2009 which says that Claysncant be pushed that much. I’ll Tu to find the link
    B

Banned

DO NOT get International. It can only be used for shotguns. They used to have some data but pulled it due to serious pressure issues and erratic ignition.

Quote Originally Posted by tomme boy View Post
    DO NOT get International. It can only be used for shotguns. They used to have some data but pulled it due to serious pressure issues and erratic ignition.
    The pressure issues with international clays was with light bullets/cowboy action loads.

38spl use 158gr or heavier bullets
    44spl/44mag use 200gr or heavier bullets
    45lc use 250gr or heavier bullets.

Can't even begin to count how many #'s of international clays I've burned in the 38spl's & 44spl'ss. International clays will produce loads that will shoot bugholes in in those calibers.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I go thru a lot of clays every year also, another fantastic powder for target loads.
    [IMG][/IMG]

I've tried universal clays several different times & kept coming up with the same conclusion which is that it tends to be at it's best with heavy/hot/full house loads.

Boolit Master
    Dodge Co. GA. Between the Ocmulgee and Little Ocmulgee rivers.
    From what I was told, Clay Dot is Alliant's version of Clays. They use the same data. I guess this is why Hodgdon/IMR came out with Red, Blue, and Unequal.

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

US Govt mantra: If it's moving tax it. If it's still moving regulate it. If it stops moving subsidize it