MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Barrel wiping liquid

Boolit Buddy

Barrel wiping liquid

I have been shooting B.P.C.R using Ballistol at about 20 - 1 on patch's for swabbing my barrel between shots. I have been told that "NAPA cutting and grinding oil " is much better. I realize both are suppose to mix with water but am looking for opinions. If the cutting oil is recommended, what ratio ?.

Boolit Grand Master

I use windex with vinegar as a range cleaning solvent for BP. Ballistol should be very good for wiping and cleaning at your ratio. The Napa water pump oil or cutting and grinding oils ill lubricate but may not clean as well. I have read where some use plain water even

Boolit Master
    I have used both NAPA cutting oil and Ballistol. I think they are very similar and have noticed no performance differences. The NAPA stuff is a fair bit cheaper if you buy a gallon jug. I think that the price is the main reason people use the NAPA stuff. I have had some shooters ( machinists and gunsmiths mostly ) tell me that they like the water soluble cutting oils because they have stuff in them to prevent the oils from going bad. I have never had Ballistol go bad however.

I use 30% oil / 70 % water when shooting grease grooved bullets. Over time I have increased the percentage of oil as, in really hot weather, it seems to help prevebnt a little bit of leading. With paper patched bullets I use 10% oil and 90% water as I dry the barrel after wiping anyway.

A nice trick it to use a potato ricer ( a mysterious kitchen tool ) to squeeze excess water out of the patches. You don't want them too wet.

Chris.

Banned

it really doesn't much matter. in fact, for between-shot fouling control i use gophers dipped in plain water and backed by a dry patch. one push down the tube and it's all done. however, after the last shot is taken, the bore is swabbed with straight up water soluble oil, and it's spritzed on the lock/action/block as well.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I like the NAPA cutting oil mixed 1 oz to 7 oz water. Even the little jugs of the NAPA oil last a very long time at that ratio.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Banned

i never saw a need for any use of water soluble oil for between shot fouling control, but it does make sense to use it either straight up or mixed with water after the last shot of the day is taken and there's a ride back to the ranch whence the real cleaning takes place.

Boolit Master
    I use 7-1 mix NAPA oil between shots only slightly damp for silhouette. When I go past 80 grains powder for Creedmoor fouling control becomes tougher and I use at least two patches on a nylon brush.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Since the beginning of the creation of black powder- plain water has been used to dissolve the potassium bicarbonate foul in bores of firearms

One day, I shots 50 consecutive rounds of 38-55's with no blow tubing or patching. With one cotton ball soaked in plain water and 3 dry cotton balls ... the bore was near perfectly removed of any fouling. YES, i have pictures showing the results
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master
    What kind of oil is in the “coolant” that machine shops pump onto the high speed cutter while turning or milling steel? That fluid doesn’t cause rust.

I have been using 7:1 water:Ballistol mix because I have some for between shot barrel wiping on my muzzle loader. This solution has been working very well in my M73 and Lyman GPR.

I would be cautious will using plain untreated water as it will cause flash rusting on warm bare steel I have had that occur on my muzzle loader if the tap water got too warm.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by greenjoytj View Post
    I would be cautious will using plain untreated water as it will cause flash rusting on warm bare steel I have had that occur on my muzzle loader if the tap water got too warm.
    After a quarter century or so of wiping after every shot with plain ol' dihydrogen oxide, I'm still waiting for the mysterious flash rust.

One year, in February, it got so cold that wiping solutions were turning to slush; wiping patches were freezing in the bore; spit patches would stick to the roundball and go flapping down range; roundball would freeze to moist fingers; flintlocks were stacked around the wood stove to get the frizzens warm enough to spark. Someone allowed as how windshield washer fluid didn't freeze and there was a mass exodus to the cars. Seemed to work.
    Thinking as how that happened twice. Both times in February.
    I use water and NAPA oil, 7:1, with 6 ounces of Pinesol, Lestoil or Simple Green added per gallon.

Boolit Buddy

Ballistol

I appreciate all the opinions and conclusions and the only difference I can see is that Ballistol may have more of a CLEANING ability over NAPA oil.

Boolit Master
    In the winter I did try General Motors Opticlean windshield washer fluid.
    I worked very well in the cold as a wiping solvent with BP.
    I did stop using it after reading the MSDS, the long list of chemical ingredients would make any California commie proposition 65 nuttier go screaming into night.
    I also tried adding a little Ballistol to the Opticlean but it wouldn’t mix just formed an emulsion.

Water and Ballistol at 7:1 mix ratio is pushing the limit as to how much Ballistol can be mixed. As time passes my 7:1 will separate in the bottle and form small bubbles of oil on top of the water. A quick shake and it’s mixed again and ready to use.
    Last edited by greenjoytj; 03-15-2020 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Spelling & grammar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Toymaker View Post
    One year, in February, it got so cold that wiping solutions were turning to slush; wiping patches were freezing in the bore; spit patches would stick to the roundball and go flapping down range; roundball would freeze to moist fingers; flintlocks were stacked around the wood stove to get the frizzens warm enough to spark. Someone allowed as how windshield washer fluid didn't freeze and there was a mass exodus to the cars. Seemed to work.
    Thinking as how that happened twice. Both times in February.
    I use water and NAPA oil, 7:1, with 6 ounces of Pinesol, Lestoil or Simple Green added per gallon.
    Sounds like it is time to adjourn to the Pub for some Chile and adult libation. Although I did attend a ML shoot in a blizzard where we were shooting hanging white eggs at 50yd. It was hard to tell when they were hit since they were frozen. There was Chile in the club house though.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

White eggs in a snow storm at 50 yards.... that sounds like fun. To be remembered, but not this year.

Did have a ham hung on a mylar string at 50 yards once. Cut the string and win the ham. $5 a shot for St. Jude's Hospital.

Biscuits, mustard, horseradish and ham for the lunch after the shoot.