Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gp100 44 about ready for ride along

Boolit Master

Gp100 44 about ready for ride along

Well about to get the gp100 44 special carry package together if I decide it's what I choose to carry.
    I have about 400 rounds through it 240 swc at 700 to 800 FPS red dot and BE-86 loads.
    And it is an easy gun to shoot I am really enjoying it , da at 7 yards not staging the trigger pulling straight through I average 2 to 3" groups , sa 1 hole most of the time , at 25 yards I average 3 to 5" sa . With a 3" gun I may get that better just have to work up some Keith bullets and see but I am no expert shot .
    I still need to sight it for the 200 grain gold dots if they shoot I will carry the underwood version in town . And will work up some 250 grain Keith's hopefully 850 to 950 FPS for the trail.
    Got me a holster finished and compact grips and taller front sight on it , sweet little .44
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9A058FE5-2851-41C7-A8D7-98A2AABE6012.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	37.3 KB 
ID:	256905

I really want one of these. I have a friend that lent me his and I fell in love with it. 44 Special is an underrated cartridge, after all it's been doing it longer and better than the 45 ACP. A 41 special would be nice also. I think in the morning I'll Email Ruger and pester them about introducing a GP-100 41 Special.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Master

Good luck on that............
    The .41spl is a 6 shot, too...........

Click on attachments for larger view.........
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails littlepistol2.jpg   littlepistol5.jpg  
    Last edited by ddixie884; 02-17-2020 at 12:40 AM.
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Grand Master

If you choose a jacketed hollow point, do the research. 44 special is especially picky on such bullets.

As for the shooting, don't stage the double action trigger. The GP100 has a great trigger that doesn't stack. Just dry fire the heck out of it with a single smooth pull through. I like to just pick an object, and keep my sights on it as I dry fire. It will instantly tell you if your moving the sights.

That's easier said than done.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    If you choose a jacketed hollow point, do the research. 44 special is especially picky on such bullets.

As for the shooting, don't stage the double action trigger. The GP100 has a great trigger that doesn't stack. Just dry fire the heck out of it with a single smooth pull through. I like to just pick an object, and keep my sights on it as I dry fire. It will instantly tell you if your moving the sights.

That's easier said than done.
    The underwood with the Speer gold dot is rated at 975 FPS I have no idea what barrel length , Speer rates the 200 gr bullet for 800 to 1000 if I remember right I need to crono the underwoods in the 3" barrel and see what it does in my gun , but most of the gold dots expand reliably in the velocity range they are designed for.
    The places I cary at times I do worry about over penetration I would really hate to hurt a innocent person.
    You are so right about the da trigger on the gp100 I shot my buddy's 357 several times and it worked so good for me I had to get me a gp100 .

Boolit Grand Master

44 special is a fine caliber. I was just double checking, as it is one of the most notorious for non-expanding hollowpoints. I'm sure the gold dot's work well, they are about the best JHP (technically plated) bullet you can buy in most calibers.

Enjoy the GP100. I love mine. I hope to have it until I die.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    44 special is a fine caliber. I was just double checking, as it is one of the most notorious for non-expanding hollowpoints. I'm sure the gold dot's work well, they are about the best JHP (technically plated) bullet you can buy in most calibers.

Enjoy the GP100. I love mine. I hope to have it until I die.
    There is not a lot of tests on line for short barreled 44 specials it they don't work out I may look at 180 to 200 grain wadcutter most places I wood not worry to much about over penetration but I am on the security team at church lots of people separated by Sheetrock hopefully nothing will ever happen you just try to prepare the best you can.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cheeto303 View Post
    I really want one of these. I have a friend that lent me his and I fell in love with it. 44 Special is an underrated cartridge, after all it's been doing it longer and better than the 45 ACP. A 41 special would be nice also. I think in the morning I'll Email Ruger and pester them about introducing a GP-100 41 Special.
    Send an e-mail to Lipsey's and Talo concerning the GP-100 in 41.

I found a 5 inch 44 special GP-100 that is blued steel that made my heart go pitter patter until I found out it had 4 magnaport holes in the perfectly blued 5 inch tube. Seems a waste in a 44 special and seems like it would be very loud to boot. Wonder whay the porting on a fine revolver like that?

41 GP 100 would be snazzy ... but ... the one I would like to see is a 38-40 GP-100. Now THAT would make a package that I personally would find simply irresistible.

Boolit Master
    ddixie884 that is in a slick 41 you posted a pic of, very nice.
    Last edited by onelight; 02-17-2020 at 11:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    If any one is interested here is a bare gel test on the the 200gr gold dot at 850 FPS .
    Also some pics of his cast hp from 21/2 " barrel CA https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...5E34&FORM=VIRE

Boolit Master
    That picture of the stainless gp100 in 41special is the primary cause of m ownership of a blued gp100 in 41! It makes n awesome combination. The 5 inch blued 44 did not come with extra holes in the barrel, at least mine and my buddy’s didn’t. They make a very nice woods gun as well.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

Mine is a 686 but sugar river has a stainless GP100 n .41spl by Clements........
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Banned
    onelight - You're on a good path !

I would be curious to see what the traditional "Skeeter" 44 Special load would do in that gun.
    A Keith style 240-250 gr SWC cast from 30:1 and pushed with 7.5 grains of Unique (or some other powder that gets you to the same velocity) would probably get the job done in any situation.

I agree with megasupermagnum, 44's can be a little picky with some jacketed bullets. If you go the route of a JHP, make sure your gun likes them. I would also stay above 200 grain bullet weight in a 44 Special.

I think Ruger really got that concept right. 5 Chambers (no need for a larger diameter cylinder), super strong action, stainless construction and a proven platform. I wish they had made that gun 20 years ago but I'm glad it's here now. The S&W 624 is built on the N-frame and is just little too big for 44 Special and they require a second mortgage to acquire one. (assuming you can even find one)

As a carry gun, I might round the outer edges of the hammer spur just a little. Same for the outer edges of the rear sight blade, particularly the corners.

And BTW, I really like the factory grips on that GP-100 for a carry gun. That's a good grip for a "working gun" that is carried concealed.

Boolit Master
    My pet loads are: 240 grain Speer .430" SWC on top of 6.8 grains Unique, or 240 grain Oregon Trail laser cast .431" on top of 6.5 grains of Unique. Both around 890 fps. Very accurate in the Ruger GP100 5". I also changed out the trigger spring for a Wilson spring - trigger pull is now 2 1/2 pounds.

VELOCITY TESTING
    44 Special
    Unique and Win 231 .430 Speer vs. .431 Oregon Trail
    Ruger Single Action Blackhawk

1. a. Speer .430 grain swaged SWC -
    6.8 grains Unique: Ruger SA 4 1/2"
    907, 875, 881, 899, 906 - average 890 fps
    1.b. Speer .430 grain swaged SWC -
    6.2 grains W231: Ruger SA 4 1/2"
    796, 837, 786 - average 806 fps

2. a. Oregon Trail .431 laser cast 240 grain SWC -
    6.8 grains Unique: Ruger SA 4 ˝"
    900, 1011, 1005, 933 - average 962 fps
    -----------------------------------
    6.5 grains Unique: Ruger SA 4 ˝"
    886, 912, 918 - average 905 fps

2. b. Oregon Trail .431 laser cast 240 grain SWC -
    6.2 grains W231: Ruger SA 4 ˝"
    845, 903, 911, average 886 fps.

I was expecting the W231 to jump about 80 fps with the .431 laser cast Oregon Trail, and it did. I was hoping that the slight reduction from 6.8 grains of Unique to 6.5 grains would drop it back into my supposed sweet spot for the Ruger SA of around 890 - 900 fps, and it did. I was prepared to drop it to 6.4 grains but do not see any need to considering the velocity and the accuracy.
    Last edited by JoeJames; 02-18-2020 at 10:00 AM.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    I am getting some good advice thanks Petrol & Powder.

And thanks for the the load data joejames I think I should be within 50 to 75 FPS of you 5" with my 3"
    I am going to have to make my cheap self break down and buy a labradar I can't use my crony at the range I go to and it leaves me feeling kinda crippled when working up loads or even checking factory with a gun cartridge combo on the velocity edge of making a hp expand. It be simpler if the gun didn't shoot so good then I wouldn't consider CCing it cast 240 and 250 would be a great all round outdoor choice for it.
    At this point the only JHP that looks like it would suit me for CC is the 200gr Speer I am going now and run 50 through it and see how they shoot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I am getting some good advice thanks Petrol & Powder.

And thanks for the the load data joejames I think I should be within 50 to 75 FPS of you 5" with my 3"
    I am going to have to make my cheap self break down and buy a labradar I can't use my crony at the range I go to and it leaves me feeling kinda crippled when working up loads or even checking factory with a gun cartridge combo on the velocity edge of making a hp expand. It be simpler if the gun didn't shoot so good then I wouldn't consider CCing it cast 240 and 250 would be a great all round outdoor choice for it.
    At this point the only JHP that looks like it would suit me for CC is the 200gr Speer I am going now and run 50 through it and see how they shoot.
    I figure for my needs here in Arkansas a 240 grain cast boolit running at 800-900 fps is good enough. I tried a few J boolits, but after one ended up flush with the end of my barrel, I have stuck with cast. A 44 Semi wadcutter does not really need to expand anyway; it's already the size the smaller (38-357) expandable JHP's aspire to be.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Just adopted a GP100 44 spcl. So all this info is great. Mine will be the 3 inch also.

Have had and depended on a few 44 mag's but this will be my first foray into the special. Really like my 45 Colts in various guns so believe my foray into the special will be smooth.

I also believe the 240 to 250 SWC to be very effective on anything to be encountered just shy of a 1000 lbs HUNGRY and ANGRY grizzly. Best medicine for them is NOT found in a handgun anyway ... only to be a hail Mary effort.

The 45 Colt round firing a 255 grain rfn is plenty for shooting buff and horses for the military at 8 to 9 hundred FPS so I can not believe the 44 spcl. Would not be just as effective.

Looking forward to playing with it myself. Sure thankful to onelite for beginning this post.

Boolit Master
    Well I ran 50 200gr. Gold dot blazers through it they are advertised at 875fps , 100fps slower than the underwoods with the same bullet I did not get to shoot it at 25yards so not much of an accuracy test. But at 7 yards it would put 10 in an inch + standing with 2 hands several 5 shot groups under an inch CC , so it looks like the Speer bullet will be plenty accurate for busy places if I choose to use it. Still need to do more testing but this was encouraging.
    I tend to shoot revolvers better than autos the gp100 is easier for me to shoot than my compact and sub compact 45 acp guns but the 45s sure do have a better selection of defensive ammo.

Banned
    Unfortunately, factory 44 Special ammunition is fairly limited. In order to meet SAAMI specs a lot of ammo manufactures resort to lighter bullets in the 44 Special to achieve higher velocities. I've repeatedly spoken about the pathetically low SAAMI limits for 44 Special. Most modern revolvers chambered in 44 Special are more than strong enough to safely handle 44 Special loads that are over the pitifully low 15,500 psi SAAMI limit.

I would consider a 200 grain bullet to be the lower end of the acceptable weight range for 44 Special bullets and I would prefer to be a little closer to 240 grains. Unfortunately in factory loaded 44 Special, 240 grain bullets are going to yield some fairly low velocities. So 200 grain bullets may be the compromise in factory ammo.

A 240ish grain LSWCHP traveling at around 900 fps would be about where I would want to end up. That may not be possible with factory ammo and SAAMI specs.

And to be clear - I think the Underwood 200 gr Speer JHP is a very good factory cartridge in 44 Special.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 02-19-2020 at 09:11 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast