Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Taming the Bugger 9mm

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by pastera View Post
    Find someone with a lathe - a new expander is an easy turning job.

I have to see if a 3d printed part will be strong enough - I use PLA for seating stems and top punches so with the right print settings it might be able to work as an expander (but probably not as a powder through expander)
    A 9mm “L”, for Long, would be nice if someone made that expander.

Quote Originally Posted by pastera View Post
    Find someone with a lathe - a new expander is an easy turning job.

I have to see if a 3d printed part will be strong enough - I use PLA for seating stems and top punches so with the right print settings it might be able to work as an expander (but probably not as a powder through expander)
    I’d be very surprised if it would work as an expander. Or how long it would last even if it did. Brass is stronger than pla

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    I tried my Dillon 38 expander, but it’s just too short.
    If you have Dillon dies and a Dillon powder measure then get this part.

http://www.uniquetek.com/product/T1582

I use this custom powder funnel to load my 9mm and it works like a champ.
    NRA Benefactor.

Boolit Buddy
    Lathesmith also makes a really nice 9mm custom powder funnel for the Dillon setup. I really like mine

Boolit Master
    I would go with Lathesmith also, he is really good to deal with.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried my Dillon 38 expander, but it’s just too short.
    I was going to try that but I'm glad I read your post. It is shorter than the 9mm powder funnel.

Boolit Master
    powder coat and your problem will be solved

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    powder coat and your problem will be solved
    Sorry, but powder coating isn't an option. I'm using HI-TEK on the bullets as my preferred coating.

However, great progress has been made by moving away from Clay's and using slower powder. Both Power Pistol and Herco, while not optimum for 9mm, are slow enough burning that they are shooting fine at minimum loads. Hopefully in the next week or so, I will be able to increase charges to find upper limits before leading returns.

Boolit Master
    Sorry, but powder coating isn't an option. I'm using HI-TEK on the bullets as my preferred coating.

However, great progress has been made by moving away from Clay's and using slower powder. Both Power Pistol and Herco, while not optimum for 9mm, are slow enough burning that they are shooting fine at minimum loads. Hopefully in the next week or so, I will be able to increase charges to find upper limits before leading returns.
    I have had great results with Alliant BE-86 with Hi-Tek coated a good powder for 9mm

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    I have had great results with Alliant BE-86 with Hi-Tek coated a good powder for 9mm
    When I burn through the 2 pounds of Herco I've got, BE-86 is one of the ones on my shopping list.

Thanks!
    Last edited by RydForLyf; 02-25-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have had good results with CFE Pistol with Hi-Tek coated bullets, I have been trying to use up a 8 pounder of 700 X in 9 mm, .40 S&W & .45 and not had any problem with Hi-Tek coating. Bullet size after loading and throat length always need to be considered.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ioon44 View Post
    I have had good results with CFE Pistol with Hi-Tek coated bullets, I have been trying to use up a 8 pounder of 700 X in 9 mm, .40 S&W & .45 and not had any problem with Hi-Tek coating. Bullet size after loading and throat length always need to be considered.
    Powder Valley has free Hazmat through tonight, so I'm getting an order ready of some slower powders to try while it's a bit cheaper. CFE Pistol is on my list.

For what its worth, I've never had any problems with any of mine with any molds. I use COWW and SOWW in a 2:1 ratio or pure COWW. I size to .357" and lube with Carnauba Red. I like to use Unique powder and load mine anywhere between 850 to 1000 fps. YMMV but its what works well for me. Good luck!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OutHuntn84 View Post
    For what its worth, I've never had any problems with any of mine with any molds. I use COWW and SOWW in a 2:1 ratio or pure COWW. I size to .357" and lube with Carnauba Red. I like to use Unique powder and load mine anywhere between 850 to 1000 fps. YMMV but its what works well for me. Good luck!!!
    Man, you gotta get out of the caveman days and come on over to the HI-TEK side. Life is so much better with no lube and pretty bullets.

CFE Pistol and Longshot are great for 9mm. The Longshot for higher end loads and the CFE Pistol for everything. For heavy for caliber boolits, I use AA7.
    I can't offer any suggestions as to what may be causing your leading as I have never owned a Glock. I doubt my experiences will transfer.

Boolit Bub
    Reading the op’s post reminded me of the trials and tribulations that I went through when figuring cast loads for my g17-g4. What now worms for me has been information/techniques and approaches that I’ve read about from fellow members on castboolits. Here’s my set-up:

Alloy is COWW with 1-2% tin added cast out of a lee 120-TC 6 cavity mold. Then they’re powder coated with smokes Carolina blue and sized to 356. Yes, that’s 356. I was having way to many issues with 357 and 358 sized bullets because my range brass consists of various brands that have various case thickness.

I load on a Dillon xl 650 with a Lyman m die in station #1 which opens up the case and adds a slight flare. Station #2 regular Dillon powder thru plug. Station #3 powder check. Station #4 (seating station) has been the most challenging prior to what I’ve done. You want to eliminate seating the boolit crooked so I bought a Hornady bullet alignment seating die with the alignment sleeve. This has by far reduced any issue with seating crooked bullets. The TC design was not playing well with the original Dillon seating die even after reversing the seating plug. Station #5 crimp to .379.

My loads work in my gun and my data is from my experience. I use 3.9-4 grains of sport pistol at an OAL of 1.075. After powder coating my boolit comes out to about 125gr.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    “Man, you gotta get out of the caveman days...”
    ...and try a simple shake and bake.

Boolit Buddy

I tried Hi-ten nine ways to Sunday. Different temps, different durations, with a PID, without, letting dry overnight, the two part liquid variety and the powdered variety. They always passed the smash and wipe tests, but would also lead. Only one thing cured it for good....

Two top coats of BLL. Worked like a champ and I hear there’s a new formula now as One-step is no longer available.

I just powder coat now.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Landshark9025 View Post
    I tried Hi-ten nine ways to Sunday. Different temps, different durations, with a PID, without, letting dry overnight, the two part liquid variety and the powdered variety. They always passed the smash and wipe tests, but would also lead. Only one thing cured it for good....

Two top coats of BLL. Worked like a champ and I hear there’s a new formula now as One-step is no longer available.

I just powder coat now.
    I'm using HI-TEK and getting great results now. My main problem was my choice of powder, Clay's was just too fast. Once I moved down the burn rate chart, results changed drastically.

I'm a happy camper now.

Best of luck to you.

I think I have improved a lot, but I have some occasional keyholing with my G17.
    What I have done is to increase my diameter (I used the lee 120 TC, but I had no luck), with a RCBS 9mm 124 cn mold, which gives me about .357, then I make PC and then read sizing die .358
    It has also helped me a lot to change the serial expander of my 550 dillon for one that I bought here in the forum made by mr lathesmith and expands the mouth of the brass to 358
    The brass is a problem, unfortunately I shoot IPSC and guide my reload method so that I can load all the brass. But some have more problems than others.
    Hernan

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast