Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Load DataTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Taming the Bugger 9mm

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by canyon-ghost View Post
    Since you seem to have leading issues, there is one thing that will cause it. No one has mentioned copper fouling. To make lead shoot well, I've had to shoot only well cleaned barrels dedicated soley to lead bullets. I may load a 9mm with hollowpoints for defense, but won't fire them if I don't have to. I use wheelweight , hardening isn't necessary for my uses. Stubborn copper fouling will rip lead from the sides of your cast projectiles. Just a thought, guys.

Good Luck, Ron
    Choosing a slower powder was the solution to my leading problems. I shot 600 - 700 rounds this weekend doing load development and no leading issues. Just like SNS Casting states, powder choice is a major factor in shooting cast in lead. Maybe now I can sell off the KKM barrels I bought just to be able to shoot cast in the Glocks.

Boolit Master
    Since you seem to have leading issues, there is one thing that will cause it. No one has mentioned copper fouling. To make lead shoot well, I've had to shoot only well cleaned barrels dedicated soley to lead bullets. I may load a 9mm with hollowpoints for defense, but won't fire them if I don't have to. I use wheelweight , hardening isn't necessary for my uses. Stubborn copper fouling will rip lead from the sides of your cast projectiles. Just a thought, guys.

Good Luck, Ron
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_421308702790258.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	258282
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Buddy
    IME ... I solved the same problem in my G34 by replacing the Glock barrel with a Storm Lake traditionally rifled barrel. It’s a drop in part, it’s fairly inexpensive and will shoot under two inch groups at 25 yards with a basic lead reload. The Glock barrels are notoriously problematic with lead alloys. YMMV.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RydForLyf View Post
    Choosing a slower powder was the solution to my leading problems. I shot 600 - 700 rounds this weekend doing load development and no leading issues. Just like SNS Casting states, powder choice is a major factor in shooting cast in lead. Maybe now I can sell off the KKM barrels I bought just to be able to shoot cast in the Glocks.
    It's great to hear you got a clean shooting load !

Boolit Bub
    Plus 1 on the copper fouling mention. I use a piece of cloth wrapped around a worn brush with Kroil and JB bore paste. I’ll call it clean after about 60 back and forth strokes. Then With a clean patch and JB bore paste polish (purple color paste) I’ll run it back and forth in the barrel about 60 strokes. After that the bore is pretty good looking.

This also works for me when I cleaned a sewer pipe bore of a Mosin and SMLE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by canyon-ghost View Post

Good Luck, Ron
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_421308702790258.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	258282
    I'm having a feeling of Deja vu right about now. Either that, or it's Ground Hog Day all over again.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by h8dirt View Post
    IME ... I solved the same problem in my G34 by replacing the Glock barrel with a Storm Lake traditionally rifled barrel. It’s a drop in part, it’s fairly inexpensive and will shoot under two inch groups at 25 yards with a basic lead reload. The Glock barrels are notoriously problematic with lead alloys. YMMV.
    Yes, I already have replacement barrels, KKM, that I mentioned I will no longer need since I'm now successfully shooting lead through the stock barrels. GSSF matches do not allow aftermarket barrels, so stock barrels is where it's at for me.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345