Load DataReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Finally got the Marble's tang sight mounted....

Boolit Master

Finally got the Marble's tang sight mounted....

Bought a Marble's tang sight from Midway for my Uberti 1873 Winchester clone. Had it mounted last week, so whenever the weather breaks I can go to the range and give it a try. My problem with the original sight was that with the loads I was shooting, I couldn't lower the rear sight enough and I was shooting high. I figured that by removing the rear sight and putting the tang sight on along with using a smaller aperture, I should be able to tighten up my groups. So far I've just used Unique with a 230 gr. lrnfp. I want to try more powders and do ladder testing this year. My current load is adequate for deer out to around 70 yards or so, but I expect better out of my rifles.

FWIW, the Gold Standard for curing a point of impact that's too high with the rear sight all the way down is to install a slightly taller front sight blade.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master

I adjusted the peep well down and am on target now. I was testing a bunch of rounds that I had loaded just for the heck of it. (230 gr. lrnfp over 6.4 gr of Promo) Shot it at 50 yards just to see where they hit. Low and slightly left. My first 5 round group had 4 holes touching in a nice clover leaf with the 5th round about 1/4 inch outside the main group. Group size was under 1 inch. Best group I've shot with that Uberti 1873! That Marble's peep makes an huge difference in group size. It was getting dark by the time I moved out to 100 yards. Those .45 slugs have one heck of a drop at that range. Was getting hard to see the target, but I fired 5 rounds anyway. Results; all in the black on a 100 yard target. group was 4 inches high by 1 1/2 inch wide. I was using a 10 inch hold over to drop them in and it was hard to be consistent when you can't see the target well in the dark. Anyway, I was happy with minute of white tail accuracy in poor light conditions. That rifle is more accurate than I expected. No complaints.

Boolit Grand Master

That’s awesome news. Enjoy that marbles sight.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have two and love them for target work and CAS. Really fast if you take out the disc and use it as a ghost sight. I would be worried about using one for hunting in the woods as they can snag and if bumped the wrong way will not be vertical.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I ordered a Marble tang sight for my 1876 50/95. After answering a dozen questions from the company I ordered it from, they still sent the wrong sight which led to numerous phone calls & the sending of still another wrong sight. Finally the guy who owns the company calls me. We have a very pleasant chat about the rifle & the tang sight. At the end of the chat the owner says "I don't know what my guys were doing, but I'm sending you the right tang sight. And he did. Very happy with the owner. Company shall remain nameless. Everything else I ordered from them since has been correct.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    We ended up putting a Marbles full buckhorn on our 1876. Tried a tang sight and it was fine. But the 350 slug that we load to 1465 fps (Goex 3F or 5744) realistically will only get shot out to 200 regularly.
    Put the buckhorn on and sighted it at 100 yards. With the white front sight ball just above the rear sight groove it is on at 150. With the front sight ball between the horns it is on at 200. We could not ask for a better or faster sight arrangement out to 200 yards.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe put on a taller front sight and the old rear sight and sight in for 50 yards, and sight in the tang sight for 125 yards, or what ever you see as your max range?
    quando omni flunkus moritati